Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Said Taghmaoui, Neal McDonough, Aly Khan ... see more see more... , Archie Panjabi , Raad Rawi , Hassam Ghancy , Mozhan MarnÚ , Adeel Akhtar , Jeff Daniels

An undercover CIA agent within a terrorist cell is marked as a terrorist suspect by the FBI in Overture Films' upcoming thriller Traitor. Don Cheadle produces and stars in the film as the operative un... read more read more...der Guy Pearce's investigation. Based on an idea by Steve Martin, the film is written and directed by Day After Tomorrow screenwriter Jeffrey Nachmanoff. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi

Flixster Users

64% liked it

63,734 ratings

Critics

63% liked it

166 critics

DVD Release Date: February 17, 2009

Stats: 4,059 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (4,059)

• December 19, 2012
    review coming.
  • July 19, 2011
    The only person he can trust is himself.

A very solid good movie surprisingly so. The story was amazing and very creative. It's intriguing and suspenseful with a combination of drama and espionage action. The leading role acting by Don Cheadle really was impressive. The directio... read moren and photography also is top-notch. One thing that's odd about this film: it has very strong statements which will please both liberals and conservatives, both devoutly religious folks and atheists. It pretty much covers the field. Highly recommended film, Enjoy!

Samir Horn (Don Cheadle), a devout American Muslim, and a former U.S. Army Special Forces expert in explosives, has been mysteriously showing up on the FBI's radar for being in the area of terrorist bombings. FBI agent Roy Clayton (Guy Pearce) heads up a task force investigation to link Horn to these bombings. Clayton is able to question Horn after he was arrested in Yemen for attempting to sell explosives to an Islamic terrorist group. The terrorists break out of prison and take Horn with them. With the help of Max Archer (Neal McDonough), Clayton is able to link Horn to a bombing of an American Consulate in Nice, and a failed police raid to capture his top terrorist contact in London. Clayton has been pursuing Horn around the world and has tracked him to the United States. Clayton must capture Horn before he strikes his next target.
  • June 24, 2010
    it's okay, some good action scenes. C+
  • March 26, 2010
    Three high quality actors Cheadle, Pearce and McDonough, who is wasted, in the service of an ordinary terrorist conspiracy thiller. Not terrible but nothing extraordinary either.
  • March 26, 2010
    A brilliant, nail-biting, engaging, sizzling and explosive thriller. An ingenious spy game of the highest caliber. It's The Bourne Ultimatum meets Sleeper Cell with echos of 24. What an amazing dosage of action, drama, suspense and espionage. It's rich in character and it's story... read more. It has the suspense of a great novel and the explosive action of a blockbuster. A thrilling, riveting, powerful and magnificent film. A great movie that just rocks. A dazzling, exciting, well-crafted and superbly performed masterwork. A wickedly entertaining and breathtaking edge of your seat ride. It's an intelligent, thought-provoking, intensely dramatic and energetic spy thriller. It's laced with tension and suspense that will keep your heart racing every step of the way. It's so good it's scary. An excellent amount of powerhouse performances done by an extraordinary cast. Don Cheadle and Guy Pearce have never been better. Cheadle is electrifying, giving his best work since Hotel Rwanda. Pearce is outstanding. Jeff Daniels is brilliant.
  • January 23, 2010
    Advertised as a Bourne type thriller but really was actually more about correcting false perceptions of a religion than a international thriller. I felt like I watched a different movie than what was advertised and that usually does not go well. Cheadle is alright, Pearce is ... read moreboring as peanut butter with no nuts. Jeff Daniels is in this movie?

Now that I watched this movie again knowing what it truly was about, I enjoyed it. But still no spectacular performances here. Great Climax.
  • fb733768972
    January 13, 2010
    fb733768972
    Better than I thought it was going to be! traitor has just enough of everything to keep you going!
  • December 19, 2009
    A good action thriller that seems to have gone under the radar? A great cast, with a good story that will keep you guessing. Feels similar to the likes of the Siege, Body of lies etc due to the main themes in the story. The action scenes are very good. So if you enjoy a well made... read more action/thriller this deserves a wider audience.
  • October 24, 2009
    Pleasantly surprised by this superior B-movie terrorism thriller - all to plausible plot chills as you comprehend its implications for world security. The intelligent well informed script is aptly delivered by a cosmopolitan cast headed ably by Cheadle and Pearce. An overlooked ... read moregem.
  • October 14, 2009
    As a thriller, Traitor excels and feels especially relevant, considering the subject matter.

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddlestone
March 27, 2009
Tom Huddlestone, Time Out

Once the pieces fall into place, it loses momentum, meandering towards a contrived climax in which all ambiguity is swept aside and the forces of righteous democracy prove reassuringly triumphant. Full Review

Ben Lyons
November 7, 2008
Ben Lyons, At the Movies

A good political action movie that makes you use your brain a little bit. Full Review

Ben Mankiewicz
November 7, 2008
Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies

It was complicated but ultimately it failed in that attempt to deliver a complicated message. Full Review

Ruth Hessey
November 7, 2008
Ruth Hessey, MovieTime, ABC Radio National

Let's just say this is a well paced thriller with a strong cast -- it's good to see Guy Pearce on screen -- but the terrorist threat which obsessed the recent Bush administration has been dwarfed by a... Full Review

Joanne Kaufman
August 29, 2008
Joanne Kaufman, Wall Street Journal

Promising premise devolves into a by-the-numbers espionage thriller. Full Review

Linda Barnard
August 29, 2008
Linda Barnard, Toronto Star

Traitor gets a leg up thanks to a solid cast, including Guy Pearce, an underused Jeff Daniels and chiefly Cheadle's Horn, whose quiet dignity makes his blurred loyalties believable and his true sympat... Full Review

Jennie Punter
August 29, 2008
Jennie Punter, Globe and Mail

Traitor becomes too busy, ultimately frustrating, and never delivers on its tantalizing promise of offering a little insight into terrorists' motives -- and it's even got an inside man. Full Review

Lisa Schwarzbaum
August 28, 2008
Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly

The wait isn't worth it in this fearmongering, opportunistic political/spy thriller, a slippery entertainment that's all feints and few punches thrown at a fight card of indistinguishable terrorists, ... Full Review

J. R. Jones
August 27, 2008
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

The script seldom rises above formula, but its respectful treatment of Islam is both unusual and welcome. Full Review

Philip Kennicott
August 27, 2008
Philip Kennicott, Washington Post

Traitor traffics in the cliches of the terrorist chase film -- including the usual stereotypes of Muslims -- while trying not to succumb to outright bigotry. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Body of Lies
    Body of Lies (97%)
  • The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Identity (82%)
  • The Bourne Supremacy
    The Bourne Supremacy (71%)
  • The Fugitive
    The Fugitive (67%)

Facts

• Samir Horn: We're in prison in Yemen for terrorism. I wouldn't make any plans.
  • Matthew McConaughey was considered for the part of FBI Agent Roy Clayton. The role went to Guy Pearce.

Traitor : Watch Free on TV

Traitor Trivia

• in the godfather, the Don said " the one who makes the meeting is the traitor, don't ever forget that..". the meeting was arranged, who was the traitor?  Answer »
  • My long, old robes are as white as my beard, I'm the worst kind of traitor, and one to be feared. Who am I?  Answer »
  • I was banished from my own kingdom By a wormy little traitor, I had to leave my uncle and sister But knew I'd see them later. Who am I?  Answer »
  • He has switched identity, been an angel, an traitor and had un-natural powers  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Traitor. Want to create one?

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?