Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston, Bokeem Woodbine ... see more see more... , Bill Nighy , John Cho , Will Yun Lee , Milton Barnes , James McGowan , Natalie Lisinska , Michael Therriault , Stephen MacDonald , Mishael Morgan , Linlyn Lue , Dylan Scott Smith , Andrew Moodie , Kaitlyn Leeb , Leo Guiyab , Nykeem Provo , Steve Byers , Danny Waugh , Geoffrey Pounsett , Jesse Bond , Warren Belle , Vincent Rother , Matthew Nette , Brooks Darnell , Brett Donahue , James Downing , Simon Sinn , Lisa Chandler , Miranda Jade Fratton , Shereen J. Airth , Phillip Moran , Clive Ashborn , Emily C. Chang , Bill Coulter , Merella Fernandez , Alicia-Kay Markson , Brian C. Rodriguez , Leigh Folsom , Brian T. Delaney , Cam Clarke , Bridget Hoffman

Welcome to Rekall, the company that can turn your dreams into real memories. For a factory worker named Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), even though he's got a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale) who he lo... read more read more...ves, the mind-trip sounds like the perfect vacation from his frustrating life - real memories of life as a super-spy might be just what he needs. But when the procedure goes horribly wrong, Quaid becomes a hunted man. Finding himself on the run from the police - controlled by Chancellor Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston), the leader of the free world - Quaid teams up with a rebel fighter (Jessica Biel) to find the head of the underground resistance (Bill Nighy) and stop Cohaagen. -- (C) Sony

Flixster Users

47% liked it

113,205 ratings

Critics

30% liked it

217 critics

PG-13, 2 hr. 1 min.

Directed by: Len Wiseman

Release Date: August 3, 2012

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: December 18, 2012

Stats: 8,844 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (8,844)

• December 25, 2013
    You can skip this one.
  • April 22, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the original. Arnold's humor is my favorite part. This new one takes itself very seriously. That's not good.

The film, after a good start and middle, falls apart at the end. From the moment Bryan Cranston arrives on the scene, the deterioration begins --

... read moreand I love Cranston. But the story has no convincing finish.

Not a must see for everyone, but an almost-must see for fans of the original. It's nice to see the way they've integrated their references to the original.

• April 12, 2013
    A very decent film in it's own right, and no it's not a straight remake! If you watch the first film again today it sure does look dated now. The main theme or plot is similar but put into a different context and setting altogether. The technology you see in the film was very int... read moreeresting as well and there is plenty of action and very good SFX. It has a few nods towards the old film but seems to borrow elements from a number of Sci-Fi films including Blade Runner, especially for the look of the city. Even Star Wars Attack of the clones, Robocop. Throw in Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale, it's not a bad way to treat your eyes for 2 hours!
  • March 29, 2013
    Such a shame and waste of a unique plot and talented cast couldnt pull this action packed mess together!
    The action should keep you entertained to a degree but if your looking for more then you'll be sorely disappointed.
  • February 19, 2013
    Okay, technically this may just be another adaptation to the same written work, rather than a remake. It might even be a more faithful adaptation. However, it's still going to be forever compared regardless. While visually exciting, with a lot of very cool future technology portr... read moreayed on screen. It just lacks the dramatic punch of the first movie.
  • February 8, 2013
    "Total Recall was a action packed blast. I like movies with a lot of action. It leaves less room to get bored with the film. I love me some Colin farrell and he's at his best in films like these. Kate and Biel are some badass chicks and hold their own in this as well.
    I'... read moreve never seen the original Total Recall for the simple fact that I don't care for Arnold. I know, shocking. But maybe if I get some replys on how great it is I might just change my mind and give it a shot.
    It was the perfect film for a rainy stormy night that I am having. Action packed, good plot, and some nice eye candy. I'd see it again."
  • January 29, 2013
    We Can Remember It For You Wholesale isn't exactly a catchy name but honestly, if this film had picked a different name to that of the 1990 'adaption' of Philip K Dick's short story then it wouldn't have received all the criticism it did. First off, it's not a remake. It's nothin... read moreg like the original film. What it is is a better adaption of Philip K Dick's short story, the original film barely came close. This is Philip K Dick as hell, a brilliant visualisation of his world. The original story was short, this warranted the constant action, honestly, put your hands up if you've actually read a Philip K Dick story? Blade Runner improved on the story Do Androids dream of electric Sheep (although I'd love to see a more pure version with all the electric animals etc) and I believe this version of Total Recall improves on the original short story. I love the 1990 version but this is the film us hard core Philip K Dick fans have been waiting for, at least it's getting better (it couldn't get much worse!).
  • January 24, 2013
    Without Paul Verhoeven's stylistic direction, Arnold's charm, or the unique Mars setting, this remake of Total Recall has nothing to distinguish itself from every other generic science fiction thriller. Despite better actors & actresses at nearly every role, none of them are able... read more to make the characters stand out like the original. Michael Ironside is surely missed, and morphing his and Sharon Stone's character into one so that Kate Beckinsale gets more screen time is a mistake. All of the intriguing aspects of the original's storyline have been toned down because there's no Mars setting or director willing to embrace the weirdness of the story. Len Wiseman plays it far too straight and makes it to where the story is basically a carbon copy of the original, but without the heart and soul. There's literally no reason for them to move the setting from Mars and they don't offer a compelling alternative. Of course, the special effects are a massive upgrade from the original, but what Verhoeven's team did in 1990 remains way more impressive than this dime a dozen affair. We've seen better special effects, despite them being competently done, and in this day & age it isn't hard to do. The action also lacks the visceral gore of the original and just isn't as entertaining and stylish. There was very little reason to remake Total Recall and this version is a far inferior film. If you are interested please just go watch the original instead, especially if you have never seen it.
  • December 31, 2012
    A mind-blowing and spectacular edge of your seat action-packed thrill-machine. A total blast from start to finish, it blows the original film away in every way possible. A sci-fi thriller that's both smart, stylish and sexy. It delivers some solid and mind-bending twist that kick... read more start your heart and make your pulse quicken. An explosively entertaining and adrenaline-charged action movie that is just plain awesome. A knockout that you will love. Director, Len Wiseman crafts a clever and fun epic that delivers loads of sizzling suspense, eye-popping special effects and powerhouse action sequences around every corner and has you wanting more. A stellar all-star cast. Colin Farrell is riveting, showing off his movie star charisma as well as his action hero chops. Kate Beckinsale is excellent. Jessica Biel is terrific. Bryan Cranston is fantastic. This film is what spectacular action blockbusters are all about. An instant classic. This film just rocks and is too much fun to handle. A must-see.
  • fb535316333
    December 9, 2012
    fb535316333
    There's only one reason to watch this movie, the beautifully rendered Sci Fi set-pieces and environments. The whole film is quite engaging on a visual level (the tech is pretty awesom too!) but outside of that... seems to simply fall flat.

An entire cast of boring generic charac... read moreters (surprisingly, considering the actors involved). No chemistry to speak of and just some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen. The complete lack of charm/wit just doesn't help as we're served a main course of sub-par espionage.

It needed a compelling protagonist (Minority Report) or a bigger play on the whole mind-fuck aspect that kept us second guessing the whole reality of the situation (Inception) or just better humor so it wouldn't take itself so damn seriously (The your wife joke? Not funny the first time, won't be the next 3 times)

Seriously though, I wish there was a concept art book I could buy for the film. Loved the look of the slums and such.

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddleston
August 28, 2012
Tom Huddleston, Time Out

'Total Recall' is Hollywood at its worst: pointless, witless, and so very unnecessary. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
August 5, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

"Total Recall" is a toned-down, smoothed-out version of an amped-up, bug-eyed classic. Full Review

Dana Stevens
August 3, 2012
Dana Stevens, Slate

This is a taut, serviceable sci-fi thriller with a couple of neat visual ideas, and if you're not familiar with either the Schwarzenegger version or the original story, the brain-bending twists alone ... Full Review

Richard Roeper
August 3, 2012
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

Casting and visuals are an upgrade, but we get far too many action sequences and not enough of the mind games. Full Review

Christopher Orr
August 3, 2012
Christopher Orr, The Atlantic

I was no particular fan of the first Total Recall, but I confess that this flat, by-the-numbers remake made me a tad nostalgic for its bombastic preposterousness. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
August 3, 2012
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

Whatever tug Total Recall has on the imagination comes from the vague sense we've seen it all before. And seen it better: from Christopher Nolan's Inception to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. Full Review

Peter Rainer
August 3, 2012
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

Director Len Wiseman is good on action, and Patrick Tatopoulus's dystopic production design is within hailing distance of Blade Runner, his chief influence. But essentially this is a big-screen video ... Full Review

Chris Packham
August 3, 2012
Chris Packham, Village Voice

Where Paul Verhoeven's original was testosterone-stupid and, therefore, fun, Wiseman's film is just boring-stupid. Full Review

Christy Lemire
August 3, 2012
Christy Lemire, Associated Press

Farrell is confident and competent regardless of the situation; there never seems to be any real threat of him coming out alive. Full Review

Owen Gleiberman
August 3, 2012
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

Those who buy a ticket to Total Recall may not go in expecting a generic Bourne sequel, but that's about what they'll be getting - just set in a Blade Runner universe made of giant gray Lego blocks. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Demolition Man
    Demolition Man (100%)
  • Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon (0%)
  • Mission: Impossible
    Mission: Impossible (20%)
  • Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (80%)

Facts

• Douglas Quaid: Why you trying to kill me? Talk! Or we can skip straight til' death do us part!
    • Lori Quaid: I'm not your wife
    • Douglas Quaid: That's bullshit we've been married seven years!
    • Lori Quaid: I'm UFB Police Intel, assigned to play your wife, six weeks ago I didn't even know you.
    • Douglas Quaid: Our marriage?
    • Lori Quaid: What can I say? I give good wife. Come on, deep down did you really believe someone like me, would marry someone like you, and live, in this shithole!?
    • Lori Quaid: Are you fucking kidding me?
    • Lori Quaid: Get some sleep.
    • Douglas Quaid: Sleep scares me.
    • Lori Quaid: Well, dream of me.
    • Melina: That's your wife!?
    • Douglas Quaid/Hauser: I think we're separated.
    • Melina: I've been looking for you everywhere.
    • Lori Quaid: By the way, you haven't even begun to to see me try to kill you.

Total Recall : Watch Free on TV

Total Recall Trivia

• Which movie is this Arnold Schwarzenegger's quote from? "Consider that a divorce."  Answer »
  • On the movie, Total Recall, who is the resistance leader who helped Quaid to find the reactor to the core inside Mars?  Answer »
  • In "Total Recall", what was the name of the backstabbing taxi driver?  Answer »
  • Which "Arnold Movie" is this line from? "See you at the party Richter."  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Total Recall. Want to create one?

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?