close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Titanic

Titanic

69% Liked It
liked it

Titanic

Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Billy Zane, Kathy Bates, Frances Fisher

This spectacular epic re-creates the ill-fated maiden voyage of the White Star Line's $7.5 million R.M.S Titanic and the tragic sea disaster of April 15, 1912. Running over three hours and made with t... read more read more...he combined contributions of two major studios (20th Century-Fox, Paramount) at a cost of more than $200 million, Titanic ranked as the most expensive film in Hollywood history at the time of its release, and became the most successful. Writer-director James Cameron employed state-of-the-art digital special effects for this production, realized on a monumental scale and spanning eight decades. Inspired by the 1985 discovery of the Titanic in the North Atlantic, the contemporary storyline involves American treasure-seeker Brock Lovett (Bill Paxton) retrieving artifacts from the submerged ship. Lovett looks for diamonds but finds a drawing of a young woman, nude except for a necklace. When 102-year-old Rose (Gloria Stuart) reveals she's the person in the portrait, she is summoned to the wreckage site to tell her story of the 56-carat diamond necklace and her experiences of 84 years earlier. The scene then shifts to 1912 Southampton where passengers boarding the Titanic include penniless Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) and society girl Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet), returning to Philadelphia with her wealthy fiance Cal Hockley (Billy Zane). After the April 10th launch, Rose develops a passionate interest in Jack, and Cal's reaction is vengeful. At midpoint in the film, the Titanic slides against the iceberg and water rushes into the front compartments. Even engulfed, Cal continues to pursue Jack and Rose as the massive liner begins its descent. Cameron launched the project after seeing Robert Ballard's 1987 National Geographic documentary on the wreckage. Blueprints of the real Titanic were followed during construction at Fox's custom-built Rosarito, Mexico studio, where a hydraulics system moved an immense model in a 17-million-gallon water tank. During three weeks aboard the Russian ship Academik Keldysh, underwater sequences were filmed with a 35mm camera in a titanium case mounted on the Russian submersible Mir 1. When the submersible neared the wreck, a video camera inside a remote-operated vehicle was sent into the Titanic's 400-foot bow, bringing back footage of staterooms, furniture and chandeliers. On November 1, 1997, the film had its world premiere at the 10th Tokyo International Film Festival. ~ Bhob Stewart, Rovi

Id: 10895163

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Register or sign-in to see your friends' reviews !

Recent Reviews

• May 20, 2014
    Benjamin Guggenheim: No, thank you. We are dressed in our best and are prepared to go down as gentlemen. But, we would like a brandy.

"Collide With Destiny"

Titanic is a movie I've seen countless times since I was a little kid and it came out. This movie is one that seems to p... read moreolarize people to extremes. Some love it and will call it one of the best movies they've seen and others will hate it and label it one of the worst. As far as where I stand on it today, I still believe it is a very good film that benefits from marvelous special effects.

Jack wins his way onto the Titanic in a poker game and runs into first class rich girl, Rose, when she is hanging off the end of the ship, apparently about to commit suicide. Jack saves her and they start spending a lot of time together, which really pisses off Rose's rich, but unpleasant fiancé, Cal Hockley. The story is told by the 102 year old Rose, as treasure seeker Brock Lovett searches for a diamond that was given to Rose by Cal on the boat.

The movie has its share of problems. The dialogue, at times, can be corny, as can the actions. The acting, while serviceable most of the time, has some terrible moments, especially from Billy Zane and Bill Paxton. Also, the film suffers slightly from its long run time. It's not something that bothers me a great deal, but had the film been cut by something like 20 or 30 minutes, it would have flowed a lot better.

Titanic isn't James Cameron's best film, but it is a majestic and epic one. I like Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as Jack and Rose, and I also really liked Kathy Bates as a first class passenger that has just come into her money. This isn't one of the best films ever, but it's, at times, fun, sad, infuriating, and joyful. There's an emotional rollercoaster going on here.
  • February 15, 2014
    I saw this on DVD for the first time in 2014 as part of a DVD binge weekend during 4 days of snow. I liked it because it has a real story--although in retrospect the poor rich girl who was going to kill herself because her fiance was too rich or too controlling was a little over... read more the top, but this is from the perspective of a woman (me) who has lived all that drama decades ago. The sets were outstanding. Really captured the sense of what it was like to be trapped on a sinking ship --talk about being trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea. The class warfare was interesting. Still fighting that. Nit pick: why did Rose keep the multi-million dollar necklace? It was given to her by someone she hated and it was more like a handcuff. And then why did she dump it into the ocean--I got that it was supposed to close a chapter on her life, but it was the wrong symbol. And she has this granddaughter--did she ever think maybe the granddaughter could use a little help paying off her student loans? As I say, those are nit picks, It was a good movie.
  • June 4, 2013
    Boy meets giri, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again. Its class struggle, snobby, stuck-up and boring rich folks (no cliche there) against the up-against-it but fun-loving poor folks (cliche, what cliche?). Who will win? The audience, duh, as Cameron trots out some really old h... read moreorseflesh and smiles broadly. Down below, in the deep, in the dark, the passengers and crew wait, wait, wait for the last survivor.
  • June 1, 2013
    The story starts in 1997 with the sole living survivor of the Titanic disaster. She reveals a love story between two classes on board the maiden voyage of the Titanic across the Atlantic. Jack and Rose witness the Titanic hit an iceberg and it sinks. My fave scenes are the spitti... read moreng and axe scenes. Leo and Kate make a great on screen couple. Great lines like "I'm the King of the World" and iconic music. My fave line is "he does landscapes". Excellent graphics! An epic masterpiece! I've seen this movie 100s of times and never tire of it. With the centenary of the Titanic disaster, the new 3D version introduces the movie to a whole new generation.
  • fb1442511448
    August 6, 2012
    fb1442511448
    The graphic peril mixed with undying romance is a compound for a monumental script and fantastic direction. Cameron makes, by-far, his greatest film with groundbreaking art, direction and sound. And DiCaprio and Winslet illustrate a heartfelt performance that will ensue everyone'... read mores hearts. 4/5
  • July 26, 2012
    Nice romantic movie, but certally doesn't had to win the Oscar of best picture and other awards. Life is Beautiful of Roberto Benini it's much more breathtaking, rich and terrific of any American romantic movie about a tragedy.
  • May 9, 2012
    Titanic is the embodiment of a gifted director working at the top of his craft. His eye for detail is masterful. Of course there's that spectacular final act that is the standard for non-stop, heart pounding excitement. But what many directors fail to establish is a cast we since... read morerely care about. That's what makes a tragedy something we merely endure versus something we actually tear up over. We should be emotionally connected to the people. Throughout the course of 3 hours and 14 minutes Cameron expertly builds a real connection to our leads. A masterpiece combining technical skill of an action picture with the engaging theatrics of a tear-jerker, James Cameron's Titanic is a stunning achievement. Critics continue to deride its success as dubious hype over a feature that is unwarranted. I disagree, It deserves its place among such popular works as The Sound of Music and Star Wars as one of the great achievements committed to celluloid. This is a film for people who love film.
  • April 25, 2012
    In the middle of watching this again for the first time in probably a decade, I thought, "Meh. The dialogue IS pretty overwrought." But by the end, it won me over as it did before with its pure and earnest portrayal of unburdened love, despite this harrowing tragedy. It's just... read more lovely.

The 3D IMAX doesn't add much, but at least it's not obtrusive like most post-production 3D. There are some nice 3D hair tendrils, and the distance from which the guy fell to hit the propeller did indeed look higher.
  • April 24, 2012
    Does the world need another Titanic review? Emphatically NO - BUT after screening this many years after its release in 3D with a couple of teen aged relatives last week I have a new appreciation for this warhorse and liked it much more on a second viewing many years later.

It's... read more a grand large epic film that is generous of heart and soul. It's brimming full of old fashioned film values, both from a visual and story telling point of view. They literally 'don't make 'em like like that anymore', and I don't think they had 'made it like that' for many years before the 1990's, when this film was released.

Let's get this out of the way first: the 3D adds very little to the enjoyment of the film. Cameron has done it meticulously ($18 million K, apparently!) , but it only seems to make a difference in close up and rack focused scenes, and very little in the wide epic effect driven shots. Also, apparently the only changes he made were to change the night sky in a couple of shots, which was originally geographically inaccurate. To me the only other thing he should have amended is the tiny, bug like humans on the wide shots, which still look like computer generated people. They are still fake looking.

The film has two big assets that are still very much in its favor: A) A superbly executed romance story that makes us care deeply about both characters. The unlikely upstairs downstairs romance is richly justified and believable, both due to Cameron's Romeo and Juliet-esque simple but effective writing (in this story instance, anyway, more quibbles later) and flawless, charismatic and beautiful performances from Leo DeCaprio and Kate Winslet, never better or more utterly committed and passionate. Before I get off this topic, how many films have failed to make similar situations believable and failed? Thousands. And the DeCaprio/Winslet chemistry is literally lightning in a bottle.

B) Cameron's meticulously constructed and imaginative visual film-making chops. The set up scenes showing of the boat's beauty and gargantuan majesty make you feel like you are touring the Titanic in person. Then, the last hour where the boat gets destroyed and sunken contains a treasure trove of creative and thrilling set pieces all of which top the one before it, from the amazing flooding, the boat's systematic destruction, to the stunning choreographed passengers panicking and going to the top of the boat's nose, till its inevitable sinking. Though long, Cameron never repeats himself and is full of new surprises through the film's exhaustive 3 hour plus length.

The aftermath and the floating dead bodies are as poignant as ever, and the film in a non didactic way, makes the social inequalities and class struggle palpable, especially to sensitive like kids my niece and nephew who have never read Das Capital or heard of Marx, either Karl OR Groucho.

On the down side, every character who is not Jack or Rose is a one dimensional stereotype, from Billy Zane (at least he lots of panache and is quite memorable hamming his way through this) as Rose's evil fiance, to Frances Fisher as her selfish, cold social climbing mother, to David Warner as an evil, murderous (for no particular reason) butler.

The film soundtrack with its Irish Celtic penny whistles and repetitive Celine Dion theme has aged badly and sounds stultifying, dated and stuck in the mid-nineties.

The film is WAY long and could use about 45 minutes to an hour cut off its time. Here's where to start: The intro and extro scenes of the contemporary adventurers working for Bill Paxton, looking for treasure and particularly Winslet's legendary diamond necklace are far too long and unnecessary. These scenes are well executed, and it's nice to see actual footage of the undersea wreckage 100 years later. Still, we don't see Leo De Caprio and Kate Winslet until more than a half hour into the film. We see Gloria Stewart as the geriatric version of Rose, and she's fine, but I was impatiently wanted to see the Titanic in its glory and so did my niece and nephew.

Grand film making with old fashioned and soul stirring story telling techniques is rare these days, and when it's been tried (i.e. Pearl Harbour, Australia, Amistad) it has failed miserably. James Cameron's Titanic achievement defied the odds and it's near impossible to hate this wide, crowd pleasing kind of film that crosses all cultural barriers to tell a story for the ages, thrilling for people from every age group, economic or ethnic background.
  • April 18, 2012
    James Cameron's Titanic is no doubt a classic and it boasts some awesome visual spectacles, music, and costumes. The acting is for the most part fantastic, especially that of Kate Winslet, Frances Fisher, Victor Garber and Gloria Stuart. Other supporting actors such as Bill Pax... read moreton, Suzy Amis and Danny Nucci make for somewhat cheesy and/or cringeworthy sections, but perhaps that's partly because of some horrible dialogue in those parts. Cheesy as the story and execution is, Titanic draws audiences in, but (for me) fails to move me in any noticeable way. With Avatar, Cameron had me really involved and sending urgent telepathic messages to the characters on screen telling them what to do or what not to do. With Titanic, most people are really bawling their eyes out, but for me, the film just glosses over the real tragedy, but it worked in the way it was supposed to. There is no doubt in my mind that James Cameron is a great director, and that Titanic will be a classic for many many years to come.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD