close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Daniel Radcliffe, Ciarán Hinds, Janet McTeer, Shaun Dooley, David Burke ... see more see more... , Liz White , Sophie Stuckey , Misha Handley , Roger Allam , Mary Stockley , Alexia Osborne , Alfie Field , William Tobin , Victor McGuire , Emma Shorey Molly , Harmon Ellisa , Walker-Reid , Jessica Raine , Lucy May Barker , Indira Ainger , Andrew Robb , Cathy Sara , Tim McMullan , Daniel Cerqueira , Alisa Khazanova , Ashley Foster , Aoife Doherty , Sidney Johnston

A young lawyer (Radcliffe) travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorner woman is terrorizing the locals. -- (C) CBS Films

Flixster Users

55% liked it

95,421 ratings

Critics

66% liked it

174 critics

DVD Release Date: May 22, 2012

Stats: 7,997 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (7,997)

• April 25, 2014
    Daniel Radcliffe, channeling Peter Cushing, visits a moldy old house away out on the moors. There's a secret tragedy there, disgruntled locals, and terrible outcomes in this poetic return of the Hammer films of old. If you enjoy your ghost stories, chasing shadows, and enjoy them... read more sad and melancholic, creepy and foreboding, this is just the ticket, the best I've seen in this genre since The Others. While not replete with a scare-a-second like a thrill park ride perhaps this does fully embrace the "it was a dark and stormy night" aesthetic that so invigorates.
  • May 11, 2013
    This movie understands fear. Radcliffe proves that he can stand alone as a brilliant actor. This movie is so good at inspiring moments of pure terror as Radcliffe paces down the hall and the camera zooms in all too perfectly. Dread and anticipation and horror are all present in t... read morehis classic horror movie. It ends very abruptly but the movie remains charming. I have yet to come across a horror movie that I will remember and be afraid of years later, but The Woman In Black, although not all too scary, is impossible to forget.
  • fb733768972
    January 30, 2013
    fb733768972
    "The Woman in Black" boasts a solid performance by Daniel Radcliffe, but fresh out of the "Harry Potter" series, it is definitely hard to adapt to his new style of acting, although it has yet to be shown that is range of acting is broad. As a lawyer travels away from his some to ... read morea village where he finds an abandoned house, he investigates as he finds out the death of many of the villagers from the past, and how they might be tormenting the children of the town. Although this horror film plays it safe, keeping it in the same location for pretty much the duration of the film, it is a well-told horror story that is filled with quite a few genuinely terrifying moments. "The Woman in Black" is well directed and well-acted. Definitely worth the time, especially if you are a horror fan. It's interesting, albeit simple
  • January 4, 2013
    A lawyer and single parent still grieving the loss of his wife is sent to a country mansion supposedly haunted by a woman who causes the local children to commit suicide. Daniel Radcliffe's first foray into a world beyond Hogwart's is a Gothic ghost story in the tradition of Hamm... read moreer Horror which takes the now familiar ingredients of J Horror and transposes them to Victorian England. Radcliffe actually makes the transition quite well and the spectre of Potter is soon forgotten as he gives a suitably haunted performance within some nicely atmospheric locations. The biggest problem is that the usual gimmicks of unseen faces at windows, midnight exhumations and occupant free rocking chairs have all been seen so often before it all seems so familiar that there are no surprises at all for such a jaded cinema goer as I; particularly considering the pseudo happy ending that seemed completely lacking in any satisfying resolution to the story. I'm sure it provides enough shocks and frights for those of an age who have grown up with young Dan however, and it's well made enough to be considered as a reasonable diversion to fans of a good old fashioned ghost story.
  • December 31, 2012
    Hmmm a 12 rated "Horror" film?! Yep it doesn't really work, the only scares are predictable jumpy loud noise moments and spooky imagery. It has quite a dark story behind it though, it's just unfortunate that there is a real lack of dialogue with long quiet sections of Daniel Radc... read moreliffe walking round a creepy house. The production design is excellent though which adds to the right atmosphere, just not that scary for grown ups.
  • October 31, 2012
    The original kind of scary movie here, and I really enjoy this type...I miss this type. This is old cinema, haunted house scary. Creepy. Spooky. Suspenseful. Very well done. Daniel Radcliffe was excellent (and I am NOT a Harry Potter fan). I think that he will continue to have an... read more acting future if he keeps picking quality movies like this...
  • October 16, 2012
    The Woman in Black is directed beautifully by James Watkins who I have to say has done really well considering this is only his second feature film. The cinematography, set, props, costume etc are fantastic and really make the film. The acting is not so great though, Roger Allam ... read moreand Janet McTeer are good in their supporting roles but I'm afraid this film only backs up my opinions regarding Daniel Radcliffe's acting skills - he hasn't got any. Shame really, as this film obviously used his big name and his 'What's he going to do after Potter' status to its advantage but it would have been so much better if another actor had played the part in my opinion. The big problem I have is that the scares got a bit cheap and a bit too frequent to really play on the suspense which I thought it lacked. It's only really big scare was stolen from the far scarier, superior and far more suspenseful Gin gwai (The Eye).
  • October 15, 2012
    "The Woman in Black is the first grown up film I have seen Daniel Radcliffe in since his Potter days. I thought he was great. I thought it would be weird seeing him play a father, but it wasn't. The story is sad and disturbing. There wasn't a lot of dialogue which I... read more guess worked for the film. I wanted more interaction with Arthur and the other towns folk.
    I liked the dark and dreary way the film was shot. It set the scene for what was to come. I didn't find the film scary. I wish it was. But I do think the movie is creepy. It was a good movie. But nothing I would watch again."
  • October 13, 2012
    A throwback horror film that has no gore whatsoever and tries to scare you with the things that go bump in the night. The story is pretty interesting and has an ending that fits the material nicely and is even somewhat unexpected. It is a little slow and boring in parts since the... read morere's very little dialogue, but it sets the mood nicely and the film looks great. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't have much to do here other than make faces at ghostly images. It's nice to see him in something after Harry Potter because I do think he has potential, but this project wasn't one to let him break out. A solid little creep show for those that like their horror movies with a little class. Pretty rare these days.
  • September 13, 2012
    If it wasn't for small bits of CGI and lots of Japanese style screaming ghost faces, this could have been made back in Hammer's hay day. The film is slightly let down by the fact that too much is shown on screen. I've always felt that less is more when it comes to a psychologica... read morel thriller, make a suggestion and let the viewer fill in the blanks. Ultimately, this enjoyable, but it's not as scary as it could, or should be.

Critic Reviews

Bruce Diones
February 26, 2012
Bruce Diones, New Yorker

The moody, beautifully composed production raises it above the norm. Full Review

Rex Reed
February 8, 2012
Rex Reed, New York Observer

It takes quite a time before the pieces of a poisonous puzzle appear, and when they do, they don't always fall into place with clarity. Full Review

Tom Huddleston
February 7, 2012
Tom Huddleston, Time Out

'The Woman in Black' is old-fashioned, ornate, imposing, occasionally creaky - and possessed of more than a few enjoyably nasty surprises. Full Review

James Berardinelli
February 5, 2012
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

The star's job description is that he be able to react convincingly to a variety of supernatural events and to endure being covered in mud. He has difficulty with neither. Full Review

Alonso Duralde
February 3, 2012
Alonso Duralde, TheWrap

Haunted house movies basically live and die by their atmospherics and by the consequences to those poor mortals who come too close to the premises, and The Woman in Black delivers on both counts. Full Review

Adam Graham
February 3, 2012
Adam Graham, Detroit News

The Woman in Black is your standard-issue ghost story, gussied up in period garb to make it look like a prestige picture. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
February 3, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

None of it's new, but it's fun particularly because - like those Hammer films of yore - it peoples its great sets with solid actors. Full Review

Todd McCarthy
February 3, 2012
Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

A hoot of an old-fashioned British horror film in which being under 10 years old is not a good thing. Full Review

Joe Williams
February 3, 2012
Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

There's little that's new, revealing or stylish about this basic-black horror story, but if you've got a Goth sensibility, it might suit you. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
February 3, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

A disappointing post-Potter debut from Radcliffe, barely breathing in this musty, creaky chiller. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Drag Me to Hell
    Drag Me to Hell (83%)
  • Mama
    Mama (100%)
  • El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
    El Orfanato (The Orphanage) (0%)
  • The Others
    The Others (100%)

Facts

• Mr. Daily: Don't go chasing shadows Aurther...
    • Jennet: Never forgive. Never forgive. Never forgive...
    • Mrs. Daily: She makes us, she makes us do it. She makes us! They took her boy away so now she takes us.
    • Mrs. Daily: He wants to draw a picture for you now.
    • Mr. Daily: I believe even the most rational of minds can play tricks in the dark.
    • Joseph Kipps: Daddy, who's that lady?
    • Arthur Kipps: That's your mum.

The Woman in Blac... : Watch Free on TV

The Woman in Black Trivia

• What movie was a true story about a white woman in 1922 that when caught cheating on her husband told him that she was raped by a black man and caused the deaths of over 150 black people by white lynch mobs, even though most people knew she was lying?  Answer »
  • Dorothy Dandridge was the first black woman in American film history to be embraced romantically by a white man in which 1957 film?  Answer »
  • What type of footwear did Julia Roberts wear in the beginning of Pretty Woman?  Answer »
  • What movie is this quote from: "She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington, just like she promised. And you get to die for her, just like you promised. So we're all men of our word really... except for Elizabeth, who is in fact, a woman."   Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for The Woman in Black. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?