The Vow
The Vow (2012)

A newlywed couple recovers from a car accident that puts the wife in a coma. Waking up with severe memory loss, her husband endeavors to win her heart again. -- (C) Sony Pictures

Directed By:
Rated: PG-13
Running Time:
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
29%
Flixster
User Score
63%

Critic Score: 29% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams do their best with what they're given, but The Vow is too shallow and familiar to satisfy the discriminating date-night filmgoer.

Rex Reed
New York Observer

The Vow is a welcome antidote to cynicism, and a bracing tonic that proves love hasn't disappeared from the film experience completely.

Full review…
Richard Roeper
Richard Roeper.com

'The Vow' is inspired by a true and wonderful story, but that doesn't make the fictionalized version any less ridiculous.

Full review…
Kimber Myers
The Playlist

The film isn't as bad as what it looks like--the Chinatown knockoff equivalent of a Nicholas Sparks movie--but that doesn't mean that those outside the target audience won't find it a painful experience.

Full review…
Nick Pinkerton
Village Voice

The Vow makes the least of its concept, refusing to acknowledge that a love need not be perfect to merit holding on to.

Full review…
Joseph M. Amodio
Newsday

Tatum is unusually expressive; Speedman, both hiss-worthy and sympathetic. But McAdams is the real draw.

Full review…
Catherine Bray
Film4

Like a less successful version of The Notebook, this works as an undemanding date movie; just don't expect much more from it.

Full review…
Lisa Schwarzbaum
Entertainment Weekly

The two stars look dewy and glossy and unexceptional, bound together less by chemistry than by the ministrations of a hard-working costume designer.

Full review…
Stephen Whitty
Newark Star-Ledger

As usual, Channing Tatum looks sweet and dull and, in most scenes, slightly confused.

Full review…
Kenneth R. Morefield
Christianity Today

Ultimately the vision of love and marriage that is being presented here is a fairly routine, secular one, that it is love that binds us to a vow and not the other way around.

Full review…
More reviews for The Vow

Flixster Audience Score: 63% Flixster User Reviews
jay nixon
A bit gooey but earnestly and engagingly played. Knowing that its based on a true story makes some of the more odd elements easier to accept.
Everett Johnson
*** "The Vow" is one of those "love conquers all" type chick flicks. Newlyweds Paige(Rachel McAdams) and Leo(Channing Tatum) are sitting at… More
♥˩ƳИИ ƜѲѲƉƧ♥
"For some reason I was thinking that this film was going to be a rom-com. Big mistake on my part. It ended up being a rom-dram. I didn't think I would… More
Tired of Previews
Question: Have you ever lied to a friend about why you saw a movie? I have. In fact, I told a little fib recently on why I saw The Vow in order to avoid some… More
Cynthia S.
Overall, not a bad movie. Certainly not "The Notebook", but it was an ok story about a man who never stopped loving the love of his life, for better… More
Manu Gino
Inspired by a true story. Very good movie. Love it, a beautiful story and great acting, Channing Tatum has become a good actor. Rachael McAdams is perfect for… More