The Three Stooges

The Three Stooges

48% Liked It
liked it

The Three Stooges

Sean Hayes, Will Sasso, Chris Diamantopoulos, Jane Lynch, Sofía Vergara

Left on a nun's doorstep, Larry, Curly and Moe grow up finger-poking, nyuk-nyuking and woo-woo-wooing their way to uncharted levels of knuckleheaded misadventure. Out to save their childhood home, onl... read more read more...y The Three Stooges could become embroiled in an oddball murder plot...while also stumbling into starring in a phenomenally successful TV reality show. -- (C) 20th Century Fox

Id: 11160741

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Recent Reviews

• April 25, 2013
    Bobby and Peter Farrelly bring old style slapstick comedy to modern days with The Three Stooges.

The story is simple and requires less than 90 minutes to tell. The story is also told in episodes, which is broken up quite nicely and laced with the original theme song. W

... read moreith that said, the story does take a back seat to the antics of the Stooges.

The slapstick humor and sound effects stay true to how the Stooges should behave and it is all delivered at rapid fire pace for most of the film. The biggest challenge is finding a way to work this comedy into modern times. At times, this picture successfully does that, but at others it is awkward and out of place.

Chris Diamantopoulos, Sean Hayes, and Will Sasso deliver good performances. Their facial expressions, movements, and line delivery successfully brings out the personalities of the Stooges.

The Three Stooges will definitely divide the audience, but fans of the original series will get the most out of this.

• April 19, 2013
    Hang on, this film was supposed to be awful! I like the original Three Stooges, maybe not as much as the Marx brothers but I truly believe they were artists and that slap-stick is a true art. Their timing was second to none. Ok, so I've given it 2 and a half stars, mainly because... read more the story was a bit rubbish, a cross between Fletch and The Blues Brothers with a bit of Jersey Shore thrown in. It is as awful as that sounds but Sean Hayes, Will Sasso and Chris Diamantopoulos played Larry, Curly and Moe perfectly. They are obviously all fans but still, this must have taken a lot of study and practice to get right and credit is due to them. I also quite liked the idea of a Jewish man playing a Nun, Larry David being the perfect choice. These are saving graces, enough to save it from being the failure we all thought it would be.
  • November 4, 2012
    "I have DVD collections of the great Three Stooges and I was looking forward to a film being made. However I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this film. If you can call it that. It's awful. So badly made. The directing, acting, the editing, I didn't like any of it. I wish they wou... read moreld have developed a better script. I didn't mind the three leads since they actually resembled the actual cast. But the rest is all a mess. I think with a better script and better directing it could have been much better."
  • September 8, 2012
    Not the travesty that it was advertised to be, this adaptation of the original material from the one and only Three Stooges takes a few steps in the right direction. Knowing they couldn't make an entirely new Stooges' film, the stars of the film are three very convincing imperson... read moreators; including MADtv's Will Sasso, Will and Grace's Sean Hayes, and unknown Chris Diamantopoulos. Fraught with cameos and some stellar comedic performances from people such as Jane Lynch, Larry David, and Sofia Vergara, the film has some silly and inspired moments. The film is set up as many of the Stooges' shorts, stringing them together to form a film The last twenty minutes or last short, drags to an uncomfortable point, but that's just from trying to tie up the haphazard plot. It doesn't exactly work, but it's obviously not meant to be a film that serious or comedic. It's goofy and fun, doesn't try too hard and doesn't cop out with the Jersey Shore crew. They're featured, but it's more abusive than anything. The Stooges are either doing their usual schtick or make the most hilarious puns and misunderstanding guffaws. There are actual laugh out loud moments, and though this isn't a game changer or a true classic, but it's something that is light, funny, and is a way to get away from the world. The Stooges were never given the same oppurtunities, or even an acclaimed feature length film such as The Marx Brothers, and clung to fame in their golden years. Giving them any type of tribute was long overdue, and I applaud all involved for giving them that love and honorary affection. The Farrelly brothers weren't the right people for that job, and certainly this isn't one of their better films, but at least some laughs came out of it. I think The Stooges would be proud.
  • August 29, 2012
    Where is the duo of directors that gave us comedy gold like Kingpin and Dumb and Dumber? They seem but a distant memory now, in light of this painfully unfunny farce. Granted that I've never been a particular fan of slapstick and the like - nor watched any of the an... read moretics of the original Three Stooges - but I don't see how anyone with a normal IQ could find this hilarious.

Hanging around with three half-wits, who spend their time slapping each other silly to the sound of "boinks" and "honks", isn't my idea of quality humor. And what kind of a message does that send to kids anyway? Put a chainsaw to someone's forehead and all he gets is a minor headache! Yeah, that will teach them about the dangers of power tools. Not that Looney Tunes isn't grounded in similar physics, but I think most kids are intelligent enough to separate reality from "Acme logic". Whereas three grown men - one of whom looking an awful lot like your average couch-potato dad - might make the difference less distinct.

Or to put it in another way: if aliens visiting Earth for the first time, picked this up on their monitors, they'd probably pass us by in a heartbeat - continuing their search for intelligent life. The only positive thing I can say here is that there was enough going on to keep me from dozing off. Voluptous bombshell Sofia Vergara gets most of the credit for that though. The larks of Snap, Crackle and Pop - not so much!
  • August 27, 2012
    Moe, Larry and Curly try to raise money to save an orphanage, and Moe ends up in the cast of "Jersey Shore." Predictable plot, but the impersonations of the original Stooges are spot-on, and the violent slapstick routines are authentic too; not a terrible choice for a time-waster.
  • August 8, 2012
    If you want to watch three episodes of The Three Stooges... then just watch three episodes of the original three stooges... There's no reason for this film to exist.
  • fb100001050230219
    July 24, 2012
    fb100001050230219
    The three leads and Larry David save this ''comedy'' from being truly atrocious.
  • July 16, 2012
    I've never really sat down and watched The Three Stooges but I'm familiar with their work through their impact on popular culture. Before watching this movie, I decided to give the original shorts a try and I absolutely loved them. The humour is simple but brilliant. So it made m... read moree slightly cautious before watching this, but it's absolutely fantastic. The Three Stooges set out to save their orphanage by raising over $800,000. They find themselves mixed up in an assassination plot and Moe ends up on Jersey Shore. The actors and the Farrelly Brothers have completely recreated the magic of the originals. The three stars have their parts down perfectly, each of them doing bang-on impersonations but not overdoing the mannerisms and voices. The Farrelly Brothers keep the comedy innocent and even manage to bring originality to having babies pee on people. The slapstick is fast and well choreographed with a few puns thrown in for good luck. This isn't trying to convert any new fans, and some old fans may be put off, but they should know this is a perfect continuation of these characters. The Jersey Shore scenes are very well done, using the cast as simply punching bags. If you never liked this kind of humour, I doubt you'll like this, but I adored it for its simplicity and innocence.
  • July 12, 2012
    Just Say Moe.

Good movie! This was a very well done movie. Some of it was predictable, but I still had to laugh. The actors were all spot on ... they did an incredible job. The stand-out surprise for me was the young stooges. Full of good laughs, endearing joy, and a heart of i... read morennocent stupidity from the Stooges! I also think that the actors who played the comedic trio did a really authentic job of portraying them. The film tends to get a little silly at times but The Three Stooges is a barrel full of monkeys finding their way out. While not as good as the original stooges it is still a good enjoyable film.

Left on the doorstep of an orphanage run by nuns, newborns Moe, Larry and Curly grow up finger-poking, nyuk-nyuk-nyuking and woo-woo-wooing their way to uncharted levels of knuckleheaded misadventure. Now their childhood home may have to close due to financial difficulties. But Larry, Curly and Moe, employed as the foster home's inept maintenance men, are determined to come to the rescue. Only The Three Stooges could become embroiled in an oddball murder plot - while stumbling into starring roles in a phenomenally successful TV reality show.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD