Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews, Hector Elizondo, John Rhys-Davies, Heather Matarazzo ... see more see more... , Chris Pine , Callum Blue , Kathleen Marshall , Tom Poston , Joel McCrary , Kim Thomson , Raven Symone , Larry Miller , Caroline Goodall , Sean O'Bryan , Matthew Walker , Elinor Donahue , Paul Williams , Lorraine Nicholson , Arturo Fresolone , Cara Pifko , Christopher Ralph , Elisa Moolecherry , Hrant Alianak , Jennifer Wigmore , Lisa Jakub , Ron Kennell , Tamara Hope , John Rhys Davies

Directed by Garry Marshall, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement picks up where its predecessor left off -- that is, with American teenager Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) reeling over the news th... read more read more...at she is a princess within the royal family of Genovia, a little-known European nation with a population of barely 50,000. As promised, Mia, along with her best friend, Lilly (Heather Matarazzo), travels to Genovia after their high-school graduation. The unlikely princess has hardly settled into the castle, let alone begun representing the country, when she learns that a larger title is approaching more rapidly than expected; it seems as though Mia will have to take over as queen. Suddenly, in addition to further schooling on the etiquette of royalty, Mia finds herself with a daunting prospect -- according to Genovian law, all princesses must be married before they can be crowned. In addition to Julie Andrews' reprisal of her role as Queen Clarisse Renaldi, The Princess Diaries 2 also features Hector Elizondo and John Rhys-Davies in supporting roles. Though Princess Diaries author Meg Cabot did pen a sequel (The Princess Diaries: Princess in the Spotlight), this film is not an adaptation. ~ Tracie Cooper, Rovi

Flixster Users

60% liked it

477,514 ratings

Critics

25% liked it

114 critics

DVD Release Date: December 14, 2004

Stats: 22,030 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (22,030)

• June 13, 2012
    Again i still very much enjoy these movies, i think this second one is maybe more funny than the first, still very enjoyable and light hearted.
    Its a great teen comedy to keep you amused.
  • August 28, 2011
    No, this was way too cheesy. Anne Hathaway's carelessness was way too much. But I did liked the romantic moments which was the only part I enjoyed.
  • August 26, 2011
    It was not even nere the first. The first was original and funny, this was not. This film was pure torture to watch, what a horrible film.
  • August 12, 2011
    Bad+
  • June 23, 2011
    As funny as the first film.
  • February 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies, and I adore Anne Hathaway not just in these movies but in the other ones she's been in. Also Chris Pine is adorable, and loved that his and Anne Hathaway's character's got together. Just a fantastic movie!!! This is my favorite of the two :)
  • August 10, 2010
    While this sort've loses the grand scale of the first Princess Diaries, it's got a lot better romantic side and works harder on the characters. Chris Pine is the big addition to the cast, making for Mia's unlikely knight in shining armor. Him and Anne Hathaway have such great che... read moremistry together that you really do dive into their love story. On top of that, you get to see Mia becoming the queen that she was always destined to be. Julie Andrews also puts in another great performance as Queen Clarisse, I think it might even be an improvement over her first. This is one of the most harmless, but extremely good coming of age movies for girls, but can also be enjoyed by everyone else.
  • May 30, 2010
    Anne Hathaway did a good job in this film.
  • July 28, 2007
    As usual, the sequel is worse than the original
  • May 30, 2007
    Not quite as good as the first but it was good.

Critic Reviews

Ed Park
August 17, 2004
Ed Park, Village Voice

Scenes end abruptly, laughs are as rare as yetis, and the overarching question seems to be: Can we turn this into a franchise? Full Review

Sara Gebhardt
August 13, 2004
Sara Gebhardt, Washington Post

Sometimes charming, sometimes a tad too silly and all the time predictable, Princess Diaries 2 gives you what you'd expect and doesn't take many chances besides allowing for the possibility that a pri... Full Review

Ella Taylor
August 12, 2004
Ella Taylor, L.A. Weekly

Lumpish excuse for a contemporary fairy tale. Full Review

Stephen Hunter
August 11, 2004
Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

There's not enough story in it to fill a shoebox. Full Review

Joe Leydon
August 11, 2004
Joe Leydon, Variety

Too blandly insubstantial to expand its appeal beyond its target demographic. Full Review

Claudia Puig
August 11, 2004
Claudia Puig, USA Today

We all love a good fairy tale, but the enchantment is missing in this predictable sequel. Full Review

Moira MacDonald
August 11, 2004
Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times

The movie is undeniably cute. But it's also often a gooey mess, with a plot that manages to be both wearisome and preposterous (to grown-ups, that is). Full Review

Carla Meyer
August 11, 2004
Carla Meyer, San Francisco Chronicle

Offers enough glossy good cheer to appeal to everyone. Full Review

Carrie Rickey
August 11, 2004
Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer

It's an 8-year-old girl's fantasy of adulthood, right down to the purple-and-scarlet uniforms worn by the Genovian National Guard.

Jay Boyar
August 11, 2004
Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel

So lame. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Princess Diaries
    The Princess Diaries (92%)
  • The Prince and Me 2
    The Prince and Me 2 (82%)
  • Enchanted
    Enchanted (82%)
  • The Muppets
    The Muppets (50%)

Facts

• Clarisse Renaldi: Some girls are fair. Some are jolly and fit. Some have a well-bred air or a well-honed wit. Each one's with its one's a jewel with a singular shine, a work of art with its own rare design. Dearl little girl, you are terribly blessed, but it's your heart of gold I love the best. And that will be your crowning glory your whole life through. It'll always be your crowning glory--the most glorious part of you.

The Princess Diar... : Watch Free on TV

The Princess Diaries 2 - Royal Engagement Trivia

The Princess Diaries 2 - Royal En... Trivia

• Which movie did Raven Symone guest star in playing the role of Asauna?  Answer »
  • In what movie did anna Hathaway get married. A. The devil weres prada B. Princess Diaries 1 C. Princess Diaries 2  Answer »
  • In what movie did Julie Andrews and Raven sing a duet?  Answer »
  • What actor links The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Tortilla Soup, How High, The Other Sister, Pretty Woman , Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, and Frankie and Johnny?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin