The Lucky One
The Lucky One (2012)

U.S. Marine Sergeant Logan Thibault (Efron) returns from his third tour of duty in Iraq, with the one thing he credits with keeping him alive--a photograph he found of a woman he doesn't even know. Learning her name is Beth (Schilling)… More

Directed By:
Rated: PG-13
Running Time:
Genre: Drama
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
20%
Flixster
User Score
67%

Critic Score: 20% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: While it provides the requisite amount of escapist melodrama, The Lucky One ultimately relies on too many schmaltzy clichés to appeal to anyone not already familiar with the Nicholas Sparks formula.

Anna Smith
Time Out

Even taken as simple schmaltz, 'The Lucky One' lacks the romantic impact of the adaptation of Sparks's 'The Notebook' or even the Channing Tatum-starrer 'Dear John'.

Full review…
Stephen Whitty
Newark Star-Ledger

There's not much to the movie besides handsome sets, sun-dappled photography and a plot as predictable as the verse in a Hallmark card.

Full review…
Al Alexander
The Patriot Ledger

How bad is this Zac attack? Well, let's just say I'm convinced director Scott Hicks opted to render his buff-and-scruffy star the strong, silent type just to keep Efron from opening his mouth.

Full review…
Tal Rosenberg
Chicago Reader

As long as Efron's shirt comes off, he could play an accountant and no one in the target audience would care.

Full review…
Elizabeth Weitzman
New York Daily News

[Hicks] hits the beats - lonely woman, hunky stranger - without bothering to develop even the slightest depth.

Full review…
Cara Nash
FILMINK (Australia)

Falling victim to his source material, Hicks fails to invest it with any sort of edge, rendering the cinematic version as mawkish and saccharine as Sparks' bloated prose.

Full review…
Richard Roeper
Richard Roeper.com

Well-acted schmaltz with some gaping plot holes.

Full review…
Rafer Guzman
Newsday

The overheated eroticism could have at least made for a camp classic, but the film's chilling narcissism ultimately makes for a pleasureless fantasy.

Full review…
Mark Clark
What Culture

Even within the company of recent Sparks releases like this year's 'The Vow', 'The Lucky One' comes across as a two-dimensional cartoon masquerading as heartfelt human interaction.

Full review…
More reviews for The Lucky One

Flixster Audience Score: 67% Flixster User Reviews
Sanjaya 丘耀文
Hey! once again Zac Efron proves himself he can act! Not like his ex-girlfriend who's kinda struggle having career in Hollywood, Zac proves himself with… More
Manu Gino
You should be kissed every day, every hour, every minute. Good movie! Zac Efron does a decent job playing the character of Logan, however, he just can't… More
Candy Rose
Another Nicholas Sparks adaptation. Zac plays a marine who was saved when he found a photo of a woman. After his tour of Iraq he goes back to the US to find her… More
♥˩ƳИИ ƜѲѲƉƧ♥
"A good enough film with decent acting. The problem is that the film was predictable with a dash of cheese. I mean, I am not big on romance films and this… More
Cynthia S.
A nice, heartfelt story of love and redemption. Emotional, but not overly sappy. Really nice cast. Zac Efron is becoming quite a good actor, and is definitely… More
Nicki Marie
Okay movie to watch, but honestly I found it On the dull side. Really a typical Nicholas Sparks story. I actually kind of wish they would stop making… More