The Interrupters
The Interrupters (2011)

The Interrupters tells the moving and surprising stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their Chicago communities from the violence they once employed. From acclaimed director Steve James and bestselling author Alex… More

Directed By:
Rated: Unrated
Running Time:
Release Date: February 13, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
100%
Flixster
User Score
82%

Available Online

Buy & Rent

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

Critic Score: 100% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Impeccably crafted and edited, The Interrupters is a tough and honest documentary about street violence that truly has the power to inspire change.

Chris Vognar
Dallas Morning News

Ameena Matthews, Cobe Williams and Eddie Bocanegra used to instigate Chicago street violence. Now they live for nipping it in the bud, block by treacherous block.

Full review…
Tom Long
Detroit News

There's no doubt The Interrupters do some good; but there's also no doubt the problem they're facing is enormous.

Full review…
Will Leitch
Deadspin

For about $1,000 every two weeks, these people try to make a concrete, palpable change in a community that fights them at every turn. What's amazing is not whether or not they're effective; what's amazing is that they even try at all.

Full review…
Liam Lacey
Globe and Mail

Where James's film excels is as direct experiential cinema -- without narration, onscreen interviews or acknowledgment of the presence of the camera -- it is an intensely dramatic window into a world.

Full review…
Stephanie Merry
Washington Post

Realistically inspiring and, thankfully, not overly dramatized.

Full review…
Simon Miraudo
Quickflix

If the lack of progress in Chicago is upsetting, the reassurance of James' unparalleled talent is inspiring. He is not just one of the United States' most vital and humane filmmakers, but one of the world's.

Full review…
Peter Howell
Toronto Star

A sobering but not hopeless look at how the Windy City is attempting to turn around a rising tide of street shooting, through the work of a unique group called CeaseFire.

Full review…
Wesley Morris
Boston Globe

The immediacy and caprice of violence in "The Interrupters'' are just as strong as in nearly every documentary I've seen about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Full review…
Sight and Sound

The Interrupters is a heavyweight film about a heavyweight subject of clear interest well beyond the United States.

Full review…
More reviews for The Interrupters

Flixster Audience Score: 82% Flixster User Reviews
Reid Volk
A powerful look at the epidemic of violence in Chicago. Director Steve James is right on the front lines of a war that Americans do their best to ignore. There… More
Stella Dallas
a powerful doc from the director of 'hoop dreams,' the film shows the work of violence interrupters, former gang members and ex cons who intervene in… More
Anthony Lawrie
The Interrupters blends the 'fly on the wall' documentary style with the history lesson perfectly. This is a very intelligent, unbiased and pretty… More
Walter M.
Even with the precarious message of hope that the heartrending documentary "The Interrupters" delivers, from watching the news it is painfully clear… More
Dan Schultz
A deeply depressing, saddening documentary concerning the violence on the streets of Chicago, and how a group of former gang-members give their best efforts to… More
Daniel Parsons
<i>The Interrupters</i> bares more than a passing resembles to the HBO TV series <i>The Wire</i> - except it's a documentary and… More

More Like This