close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Liam Neeson, Frank Grillo, Dermot Mulroney, Dallas Roberts, Joe Anderson ... see more see more... , Nonso Anozie , Ben Bray , James Badge Dale , Anne Openshaw , Peter Girges Dureyshevar , Jonathan James Bitonti , James Bitonti , Ella Kosor , Jacob Blair , Lani Gelera , Larissa Stadnichuk

In The Grey, Liam Neeson leads an unruly group of oil-rig roughnecks when their plane crashes into the remote Alaskan wilderness. Battling mortal injuries and merciless weather, the survivors have onl... read more read more...y a few days to escape the icy elements - and a vicious pack of rogue wolves on the hunt - before their time runs out. -- (C) Open Road Films

Flixster Users

61% liked it

162,210 ratings

Critics

79% liked it

189 critics

DVD Release Date: May 15, 2012

Stats: 9,226 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (9,226)

• June 30, 2014
    One of the most audacious examples of false marketing ever. There are very few wolf attacks, there is very little Liam Neeson kicking ass. It's mostly existentialist drama of men trying to make it through the wild in one piece while failing in supposedly realistic and unspectacul... read morear ways. And when you think the film finally starts to deliver what you came to see it simply fades to black. Boo!
  • June 17, 2014
    A wickedly pulse-pounding and wild ride from start to finish. An instant classic. A fresh, furious and tremendously original piece of action film. An adrenaline-charged action-packed edge of your seat thriller that will knock you out. A powerful and outstanding film. It`s gritty,... read more authentic and feels really real with its characters and atmosphere. This movie kicks all sorts of ass and keeps your heart-pounding. A bone-chilling and exhilarating thrill-machine that never lets up. It`s loaded with non-stop action and searing suspense. The action is fresh and shocking and the character development is superb. An incredible, surprisingly moving and unforgettable movie. Director, Joe Carnahan crafts a rich, stylish, thrilling and brilliant new breed of adventure and his best film since Narc. Liam Neeson gives a raw, intense and electrifying performance. Neeson never ceases to amaze with his acting and shows he will never back down from a challenge. Dermot Mulroney, Dallas Roberts and Frank Grillo give strong and great performances. An action film that can not be stopped and is packed with power. A totally intense and mind-blowing survival thriller that's smart, sharp, action-packed and truly compelling.
  • March 28, 2014
    In this wilderness adventure that pits man versus nature, hunter Liam Neeson becomes the hunted as he leads a handful of plane crash survivors through the most adverse of conditions while being stalked by a pack of wolves. To be honest, I found the premise to this film to be abou... read moret as promising as such films starring Troy McClure, but Joe Carnahan at the helm and Neeson's towering presence convinced me to give it a try. Thankfully, The Grey is far from the usual macho chest beating that you see in a lot of wilderness adventures, the director instead showing how man stripped of his technology is little more than one of the beasts he finds himself hunted by. Neeson once again revels in the part of a rough and tough pragmatist and it's nice to hear his native accent again, and although the supporting cast are very much playing second fiddle to the charismatic lead, they all acquit themselves well. But it is their hostile environment that is the true star of the show, with some spectacular scenery combined with nature at its most brutal. Some very atmospheric photography and excellent sound design puts you deep in the ravages of the Alaskan wilderness and despite the predictability of the plot it makes for a tense, involving thriller that ends in the perfect way.
  • October 9, 2013
    Gritty, suspenseful flick. Overall a good viewing experience
  • fb1019018362
    December 3, 2012
    fb1019018362
    Survival Drama with information to survive.

(+) Liam Neelson always teach me in survival situation

(-) If you curious about the trailer that he fight the wolf one on one, that's the ending.
  • November 14, 2012
    2 and a half
  • November 9, 2012
    A decent survival drama/thriller as a group of men try to survive a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness with a pack of Wolves on their trail. Neeson seems to be the flavour of the year at present and does another good job here. The only problem is the story is a little bleak an... read mored tries to carry a message about death and the afterlife as well. Which starts fairly subtle before cropping up quite regularly towards the end. It has a very short scene after the credits as well. Reminded me of The Edge as well.
  • November 2, 2012
    The Grey is a pretty apt title for this film. It exceeded my fairly low expectations tenfold. It's so much more than a plane-crash-survival movie. It's one big metaphor on survival in general, on what really matter, belief, reason, etc. It's almost perfect film making in this sen... read morese, even the Wolves (that I believe to be intentionally un-wolf like) are not what they seem. I suppose it could be easy to miss this, especially given the type of films Liam Neeson has been doing lately but it's subtlety is key. Also let's not forget the truly great films Liam Neeson has made like this (see 1985's Lamb), he's more than a cheap action hero. It not quite my favourite film of the year but it certainly is the pleasant surprise of 2012. Ace film.
  • fb791220692
    October 8, 2012
    fb791220692
    Liam Neeson's odd plane-crashing, wolf-killing tale of survival is very atmospheric, and Neeson himself carries the film far, but as everyone around him begins to die, so does the film's momentum.
  • September 19, 2012
    A great film about survival. Liam Neeson does another great job of it. Movie is action packed and worth a view in Blue Ray or on a big screen. 5 stars 6-30-12

Critic Reviews

Tom Charity
January 8, 2013
Tom Charity, CNN.com

The Grey remains a genuinely gripping survival story and a refreshing change from stale urban action flicks. Full Review

James Berardinelli
January 31, 2012
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

The Grey is about raging against the dying of the light but also about accepting it with peace once the fight has been lost. Full Review

Laremy Legel
January 30, 2012
Laremy Legel, Film.com

Three-fifths of a solid film! Full Review

David Edelstein
January 30, 2012
David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture

The Grey, despite moments of sublimity, is as predictable as a funeral. When Ottway angrily calls out to God, the nonanswer is sadly redundant. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
January 27, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

Somewhere along the line, apparently, it was decided that having men fight for their lives is not enough to hang a movie on. It has to be a movie about Big Ideas. Full Review

Peter Travers
January 27, 2012
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Hold on tight. It's a true call of the wild. Full Review

Tom Long
January 27, 2012
Tom Long, Detroit News

"The Grey" may appeal to those who like entrails, tough talk and bad endings. All others beware. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
January 27, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

The film's conflicting tones never quite mesh, but some fine acting and powerful moments make "The Grey" watchable, if not entirely compelling. Full Review

Kyle Smith
January 27, 2012
Kyle Smith, New York Post

It may be too conventional for the art-house crowd, yet too arty for the megaplex. I prefer to call it an unusually reflective blood-and-guts saga. Full Review

Liam Lacey
January 27, 2012
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

The film sustains some suspense and brooding atmosphere for its first half, but eventually the clichés of character and dialogue drag it struggling to ground. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Walkabout
    Walkabout (0%)
  • Alive
    Alive (0%)
  • Hanna
    Hanna (50%)
  • The Road
    The Road (0%)

Facts

• Flannery: Hey, guys, don't do that put your head between your knees crap if this plane crashes.
    • Diaz: Shut the fuck up, Flannery!
    • Burke: Why would you even say that?
    • Flannery: No, I saw it on the Discovery Channel. People have their spines up to their skulls because they're bent over like fucking retards.
    • Diaz: Shut the fuck up!
    • Ottway: Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.
    • Flannery: I gotta a book! It's called 'We're all fucked'! It's a best seller.
    • Ottway: I'm gonna start beating the shit out of you in the next five seconds, and you're gonna swallow a lot of blood for a fucking billfold!
    • Ottway: A job at the end of the world. A salary killer for a big petroleum company. I don't know why I did half the things I've done, but I know this is where I belong. Surrounded by ex-cons, fugitives, drifters, assholes. Men unfit for mankind.
    • Ottway: Those things from your life - whatever they might be - make you want the next minute more than the last. They make you fight for it.

The Grey : Watch Free on TV

The Grey Trivia

• Who was Wolverine/Logan's main love interest in the X-men movies?  Answer »
  • In The Lord of The Rings trilogy, the Undying Lands can only be accessed from where?  Answer »
  • What's the name of the actress who stars in Dirty Dancing?  Answer »
  • Where was Frodo Baggins Final Destination in the Lorn of The Rings Trilogy  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for The Grey. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?