The Great Train Robbery
The Great Train Robbery (1903)

Director Edwin S. Porter made film history when he completed the 13 sequences for the 12-minute The Great Train Robbery, released in 1903 but based on an 1896 story by Scott Marble. Featuring the first parallel development of separate,… More

Directed By:
Rated: Unrated
Running Time:
Release Date: December 1, 1903
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
100%
Flixster
User Score
75%

Critic Score: 100% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews
Film4

This has proved to be the most influential of all the early US films and it was the first to tell a definite story.

Full review…
Dennis Schwartz
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

The most widely viewed picture of its time.

Full review…
TV Guide's Movie Guide

A landmark in the development of the American film industry and the narrative form.

Full review…
Tim Dirks
Tim Dirks' The Greatest Films

One of the milestones in film history was the first narrative film, The Great Train Robbery (1903), directed and photographed by Edwin S. Porter

Full review…
Steve Crum
Video-Reviewmaster.com

Must see viewing for this very brief silent film, the first American movie telling a sequenced story.

More reviews for The Great Train Robbery

Flixster Audience Score: 75% Flixster User Reviews
Chris Weber
A year after George Melies made history with his cute little sci-fi picture, American film maverick Edwin S. Porter cemented his own legacy with this breezy… More
Luke Baldock
An 11 minute action ride that is now 107 years old. Silent movies have a place in my heart, by demonstrating the medium in its purest form. The Great Train… More
Ken Stachnik
Love that opening shot
AJ Verser
A very cool old movie. It's got action and adventure in the old west! No sound yet, but one of the first movies to attempt some colourization. A… More
Cindy I
Edwin S. Porter's landmark film from the early days of cinema is amazingly accomplished, not to mention immensely entertaining. I was surprised at how… More
Anthony Lawrie
One of the most famous films of the silent era and indeed the first western. Over a hundred years later and it's still exciting, the last shot of the… More