close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Sela Ward, Joe Pantoliano, Jeroen Krabbé ... see more see more... , Julianne Moore , Andreas Katsulas , Daniel Roebuck , L. Scott Caldwell , Tom Wood , David Darlow , Amanda Mackey-Johnson , Cathy Sandrich , Ron Dean , Joseph Kosala , Miguel Nino , John Drummond , Gene Barge , Thomas Charles Simmons , Dick Cusack , Nick Kusenko , Joe D. Lauck , Joe Guastaferro , Andy Romano , Richard Riehle , Eddie Bo Smith Jr. , Frank Ray Perilli , Pancho Demmings , Jim Wilkey , Danny Goldring , Nick Searcy , Kevin Crowley , Michael James , Michael Skewes , Cody Glenn , Cynthia Baker , Johnny Lee Davenport , Mike Bacarella , Oksana Fedunyszyn , Orlando Garcia , Afram Bill Williams , Jane Lynch , Alex P. Hernandez , Joel Robinson , Cheryl Lynn Bruce , Ann Whitney , David Pasquesi , Brent Shaphren , B.J. Jones , Drucilla A. Carlson , Margaret Moore , Juan Ramírez , Allen Hamilton , Joe Guzaldo , John M. Watson Sr. , Thom Vernon , Bill Cusack

This 1993 box-office smash partly adheres to the 1960s TV series on which it is based and partly goes off on several tangents of its own. Harrison Ford stars as Dr. Richard Kimble, convicted of murder... read more read more...ing his wife. While being transferred to prison by bus, Kimble is involved in a spectacular bus-train collision (one of the best of its kind ever filmed). Surviving the disaster, Kimble escapes, vowing to track down the elusive professional criminal whom he holds responsible for the murder. Dogging the fugitive every foot of the way is U.S. marshal Sam Gerard (an Oscar-winning turn by Tommy Lee Jones), who announces his intention to search "every whorehouse, doghouse, and outhouse" to bring Kimble to justice. Unlike his dour TV-series counterpart Barry Morse, Jones plays the role with a sardonic sense of humor: when a cornered Kimble screams, "I didn't kill my wife," Gerard shrugs and famously replies, "I don't care." Once the premise has been established, scripters Jeb Stuart and David Twohy and director Andrew Davis pull off several audacious plot twists, ranging from Kimble's rendezvous with a sympathetic lab technician to a jaw-dropping dive into a huge waterfall. The second half of the film offers one surprise after another (including the true identity of the murderer), brilliantly avoiding the letdown that plagues many movie adaptations of old TV series. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Flixster Users

88% liked it

264,862 ratings

Critics

96% liked it

70 critics

PG-13, 2 hr. 10 min.

Directed by: Andrew Davis

Release Date: August 6, 1993

Keywords: action, chase, thriller

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: November 24, 1998

Stats: 8,914 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (8,914)

• May 16, 2013
    The perfect blend of action and drama.

Full review at themoviefreakblog.com
  • September 10, 2012
    Somewhat based off of the 1960s TV series, this is the story of Dr. Richard Kimble, a vascular surgeon accused of murdering his wife, He claims a one-armed man did it, and, after surviving a spectacular crash during a prison transfer, Kimble escapes and goes on the run to cleat h... read moreis name, and find out who actually committed the crime, and why. Things aren't so easy though, because hot on his trail is a determined team of U.S. Marshals, lead by the relentless Deputy Sam Gerard.

This is hands down one of the finest, most intelligent, and gripping action/suspense thrillers out there. The characters are well written, developed, and compelling, their motivations are clearly defined, the basic story, though simple, is imminently engaging and watchable, and the execution, primarily Andrew Davis's direction, is just top notch.

This is more than just a chase movie. It's a study of determination and perseverance. These are just great characters to watch, and whether it is Kimble, or Gerard and his team, you want to see them complete their goal. I saw this movie many times as a kid, mostly because it took multiple viewings (especially at a young age) to really understand some of the finer points and nuance. The other times though, it was just to marvel at the top notch movie making.

The stunts and chases are great, and I love the use of mainly practical effects and actual vehicles, like the train. That scene alone is just phenomenal. Top have it just be one of several stand out set pieces is an incredibly unbelievable treat. Speaking of treats, it's also a joy to see small roles filled by Julianne Moore (on the verge of mega stardom), and Jane Lynch, who was definitely appearing here before she became well known.

The acting is wonderful, with both Ford and Jones giving some of their best work. Jones got an Oscar for his portrayal of Gerard, and, while I do think it's a great performance, I don't know if he really deserved an Oscar. Also, this film, for better or worse, really got him typecast too.

All in all, this is a superb thriller, and one of the best of both the 90s overall, and it's specific genre. Yeah, the rewatch value is debatable, and it sucks that the sequel wasn't quite to this level, but I'm just thankful that this film exists at all, as it is a wonderful reminder of how great the result can be when love, care, and effort are put into what could have been a generic thriller.
  • July 15, 2012
    Harrison is brilliant in this movie. Great storyline about a doctor who is framed for his wife's murder. He escapes from a prison van during a road accident and goes on the run to find the real killer. Great cast.
  • fb100000716838411
    June 20, 2012
    fb100000716838411
    Harrison Ford is one of those actors who can take any role, no matter how ridiculous it is, and turn it into something worth watching. He works in every movie he's in and The Fugitive is no exception. In The Fugitive, Ford plays Dr. Richard Kimble who is accused of killing his wi... read morefe, even though he didn't do it. The movie focuses him on the run from the police, lead by U.S. Marshall Samuel Gerard. Gerard is completely intent on capturing Kimble and the only thing he wants is him in the hands of the law, not even caring about what Kimble has to say. The acting by the two leads is great. Even though Ford is on the run, you're still on his side and I actually sympathized for him because he's really a nice guy deep down and Ford does a superb job of conveying that. Tommy Lee Jones plays Gerard and he's just awesome. You don't really have to listen to him when he says he wants to capture Kimble because you can see it in the way he acts and speaks. Jones deserves credit for pulling that off. The action scenes in the movie are very intense. The scene where the bus crashes on the train tracks is handled with great special effects and it's actually suspenseful. The most intense scene for me is the scene where Gerard is chasing Kimble in the dam. No matter how many times I watch that scene, it always has me glued to the screen. The film also has unexpected plot twists that M. Night Shamalamadingdong couldn't even dream of. After seeing the movie, I found out it's actually a spin off of TV series in the 60's. Since I've never seen the show, I couldn't analyze as to whether or not the film stayes true to source material. Regardless, I still probably wouldn't have minded had it changed stuff. The Fugitive is one of the best action movies ever made in my opinion, I loved the cast, I loved the intensity, it kept me on the edge of my seat, the characters were perfectly crafted and acted and it's an all around brilliantly directed film.
  • November 6, 2011
    Director Andrew Davis' The Fugitive is a solid action packed thriller about a reputed doctor who gets falsely accused of murdering his wife. He escapes from custody and being hunted down by the U.S Marshals office, tries to find proof to prove his innocence. Actor Harrison Ford p... read morelays Dr. Richard Kimble who is accused of the murder. Ford is intense in his role, and Tommy Lee Jones plays Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard who is tasked of hunting down Kimble. The Fugitive is a great action thriller that is highly entertaining and with a great cast here, director Andrew Davis crafts a solid film that will keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end. This an exhilarating film and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Harrison Ford is great in the part he plays, I especially enjoyed the screen time that Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford shared. These, for me anyways, were some of the strongest moments of the film. The Fugitive is a well constructed film that delivers the thrills and has enough action to please the action buff as well. The Fugitive is a great film that has some awesome scenes, my favorite being the one where Harrison Ford escapes from Tommy Lee Jones in the dam. This is a very entertaining film and the cast along with the clever storytelling, well paced plot development, makes The Fugitive a must see film. This is a well crafted action thriller that no serious film fan should pass up. The Fugitive is an effective, pulse pounding action thriller from beginning to end. A terrific film.
  • August 18, 2011
    The Fugitive is a great action film and it was awesome, I highly recommend it.
  • April 26, 2011
    "A murdered wife. A one-armed man. An obsessed detective. The chase begins."

Dr. Richard Kimble, unjustly accused of killing his wife, must find the real one-armed killer while avoiding Marshal Sam Gerard.

REVIEW
    ... read more
    Slam-bang thriller from the director of other action extravaganzas like Under Siege. The story: Ford is a renowned doctor framed for the murder of his wife and sentenced to death; Jones is the relentless bloodhound of a U.S. Marshal given the unfortunate task of tracking him down after he unexpectedly escapes and runs wild all over the city of Chicago. The result is an endless, over-the-top barrage of mind-blowing action scenes/stunts, suspenseful and all too believable plot twists, and some of the finest acting ever between two superb leads. Ford brings the perfect vulnerability to his role as a doctor forced to take it on the lam, and Jones is nothing short of magnetic as the hard-nosed federal agent determined to get the job done. Smart, gripping, and entertaining.
  • March 14, 2011
    This is a movie that wouldn't have been that great if it wasn't for Harrison Ford's amazing performance and a perfectly written role for Tommy Lee Jones who played it top-notch. It is still a very well-crafted film who owes its excellency to the depiction of its two main characte... read morers whose tension between them is comparable to the one between De Niro and Pacino in Heat.
  • February 1, 2011
    heres a change: someone actually killed Harrisons wife instead of kidnapping her!
  • August 9, 2010
    Best action movie/thriller/psychological drama package ever! Harrison Ford gives us what we've been waiting for since Saboteur.

Critic Reviews

Clifford Terry
August 19, 2014
Clifford Terry, Chicago Tribune

Working from a tight script by Jeb Stuart and David Twohy, director Andrew Davis has fashioned a crackling, intelligent thriller. Full Review

Jeff Shannon
July 29, 2013
Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times

The film is little more than a well-oiled machine that serves a strictly limited function, but like a precision timepiece, it is a thing to marvel at, even under close scrutiny. Full Review

Peter Travers
July 29, 2013
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

For dynamite suspense loaded with thrills and wicked fun, you can't beat The Fugitive. Full Review

Gene Siskel
July 29, 2013
Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune

I've already seen The Fugitive twice. I'll probably see it again. Full Review

Steven Rea
July 29, 2013
Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer

Thoroughly engaging, edge-of-the-seat entertainment. Full Review

Jay Boyar
July 29, 2013
Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel

While there are actors in this film, there isn't much room for acting. The rapid editing and near-absence of dialogue reduces the actors to action figures with colorful labels pasted on their foreheads. Full Review

Kenneth Turan
July 29, 2013
Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

The Fugitive is a super-adrenalized stemwinder, a crisp and jolting melodrama that screws the tension so pitilessly tight it does everything but squeak. Full Review

Anthony Lane
July 29, 2013
Anthony Lane, New Yorker

It's a pleasure to find a thriller fulfilling its duties with such gusto: the emotions ring solid, the script finds time to relax into backchat, and for once the stunts look like acts of desperation r... Full Review

Owen Gleiberman
July 6, 2010
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

It isn't just a high-powered summer blockbuster. It's something cannier (and rarer): a suspense thriller rooted in character. Full Review

Richard Schickel
August 24, 2008
Richard Schickel, TIME Magazine

A first-rate thriller. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Enemy of the State
    Enemy of the State (88%)
  • Catch Me If You Can
    Catch Me If You Can (86%)
  • U.S. Marshals
    U.S. Marshals (83%)
  • Traitor
    Traitor (67%)

Facts

• Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard: Listen up, ladies and gentlemen! Our fugitive has been on the run for 90 minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is 4 miles an hour which gives us a radius of 6 miles! What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at 15 miles! Our fugitive's name is Dr. Richard Kimble. Go get him.
    • Dr. Richard Kimble: Prison sucks. I have to escape.
    • Dr. Richard Kimble: I didn't kill anybody. Leave me alone!
    • Doctor at Bar: Cancun, Richard.
    • Dr. Richard Kimble: I didn't kill my wife.
    • Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard: I don't care.
    • Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard: Why did Richard Kimble kill his wife?
    • Detective Kelly: He did it for the money.
    • Deputy US Marshal Samuel Gerard: What do you mean, he did it for the money? He's a doctor. He's already rich.
    • Detective Kelly: But she was more rich.

The Fugitive : Watch Free on TV

The Fugitive Trivia

• While making the movie The Fugitive Harrison Ford injures his leg during the scene of him running in the forrest so throughout the rest of the movie he limps?  Answer »
  • What actor starred in these movies? The Fugitive Air Force One Sabrina Indianna Jones  Answer »
  • In the TV series 'Scrubs', which movie is it revealed that 'Janitor' acted in which the actor who plays him actually appeared in?  Answer »
  • In the TV series Scrubs, which movie is it revealed that The Janitor acted in. What Harrison Ford movie was it that he was in?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Video Clips

No video clips yet. Want to upload one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?