The Dictator
The Dictator (2012)

The heroic story of a North African dictator who risks his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed. -- (C) Paramount

Directed By:
Rated: R
Running Time:
Genre: Comedy
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
57%
Flixster
User Score
44%

Critic Score: 57% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Wildly uneven but consistently provocative, The Dictator is a decent entry in the poli-slapstick comedy genre.

David Denby
New Yorker

The film has a vicious edge that the Marx Brothers didn't have, and it's too low-minded to achieve their enchanting blend of anarchy and surrealism.

Full review…
Dana Stevens
Slate

Most of The Dictator had me neither laughing nor shocked, but just staring at the screen in anxious is-that-all-there-is? silence.

Full review…
John Hanlon
John Hanlon Reviews

This comedy succeeds as a crude, inventive and humours look at a dumb despot.

Full review…
Joe Morgenstern
Wall Street Journal

Now [Cohen is] turning material both fresh and rancid into tepid gruel.

Full review…
Christopher Orr
The Atlantic

A bit scattershot and schticky, the film never quite settles into a consistent comic rhythm. Yet for fans of Baron Cohen's work there are plenty of moments of crass hilarity.

Full review…
Will Leitch
Deadspin

This is not a character who can hold the center of a movie for 90 minutes.

Full review…
Peter Rainer
Christian Science Monitor

On the laughmeter The Dictator is closer to Borat than to the misfired Bruno, which is to say it's funny for about half of its brisk 83 minutes.

Full review…
Randy Cordova
Arizona Republic

For the most part, the movie's rhythms feel slightly off -- there are long stretches without a laugh -- and there is a mean-spirited air to the whole thing.

Full review…
Al Alexander
The Patriot Ledger

A mix of gimme jokes and fish-out-of-water observations about a foreigner's introduction to New York City that were rendered clichéd by 'Crocodile Dundee.'

Full review…
More reviews for The Dictator

Flixster Audience Score: 44% Flixster User Reviews
Joseph Brightly
Boring. They missed a great opportunity here.
♥˩ƳИИ ƜѲѲƉƧ♥
I was quite bored with this movie. It wasn't funny or clever. It was just annoying and stupid. I didn't intend to watch it but thought I would see… More
Phil Hubbs
In this overly PC world (and ultra PC UK) Sacha Baron Cohen is an exhilarating breath of fresh air that is most welcome. This new film isn't quite as good… More
Melvin White
General Aladeen: From the mountain tops of North Korea to the jungles of Zimbabwe, let every child labourer and sweat shop factory worker sing... Oppressed at… More
Curtis Lilly
Unwatchable. And I love Sacha movies.
Lucas Martins
Crude to some members of the audience with a silly slapstick, The Dictator become a terrific black comedy, with together the political satire and critic. The… More

More Like This