close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

The Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin in the Woods

73% Liked It
liked it

The Cabin in the Woods

Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams

Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen. If you think you know this story, think again. From fan favorites Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard comes The Cabin in the Woods, a mind b... read more read more...lowing horror film that turns the genre inside out. -- (C) Lionsgate

Id: 11160432

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Recent Reviews

• September 7, 2014
    Very clever
  • March 1, 2014
    This was quite a pleasant surprise. Loved the characters and the ending.
  • December 27, 2013
    FIve college kids go to a remote cabin to party but find themselves the rats in a maze constructed by a mysterious group intent on their gruesome demises. The Cabin In The Woods is very much in Joss Whedon's familiar territory of ironic pastiche, featuring the usual gang of jocks... read more, hotties and the gratuitous wise-cracking nerd going into the woods that hillbillies forgot to get murdered in various stereotypical ways. The big difference is in the way that the perpetrators are not the rent-a-zombies, but a kind of "Evil Incorporated" who are just a bunch of white collar, clock-punching schmos. The scenes below ground are by far the best with Bradley Whitford commenting on the proceedings like a kind of parody of Mystery Theatre 3000 as they crack wise while admiring their handiwork. I suspect that the film would have benefited from a more hands on approach by Joss Whedon's keener sense of the post modern and lighter comic touch, Goddard's punch line in particular felt weak compared to the very amusing build up. But as a whole, it's just the right side of self deprecating and much, much better than the hugely over-rated Scream.
  • August 24, 2013
    You think its one particular genre and then bam hits you with stuff you weren't expecting!
    I love Joss Whedon and you definitely know its Whedon, it is amusing so it is a dark comedy and it takes the traditional and predictable horror genre and twists it on its back. Entertaining... read more and original so gets points for that!
  • August 20, 2013
    This movie was perfect. Such a creative story! Every time something awesome was happening, I kept hoping against hope it was going where I wanted it to. And it did. I was continually and joyously surprised by how fun this film was.
  • March 22, 2013
    The Cabin in the Woods is the freshest and most original take on the classic horror movie in recent memory, remarkable considering that it trades in and subverts every cliche in the book. It's funny, visually arresting, (though it unrolls its CG splendors quite late) and has an ... read moreunrelenting and never boring pace. The hour and a half of the film zips by.

What I loved about the script that it's never what you think it's going to be. The film operates on two planes, the kids in the cabin waiting to be slaughtered and their mysterious high tech puppet masters in a mysterious lab somewhere. Both of these groups, who never cross paths until the very end, constantly surprise and undermine expectations. Director Drew Goddard and co-writer and producer Joss Whedon have achieved something truly remarkable here. The film is wonderfully executed trifle, and you can turn your brain off if that is your desire. Sadly, it's never mine.

If you want to look at it intellectually, this is a meditation on the classic horror movie cliches. It explores the strange prurient need in humans to see young people being punished and slaughtered, particularly for expressing their sexuality. Why has this unquenchable desire created a whole indestructible genre?

All the performances are more than fine, but it's not a starring vehicle for anyone. The kids in the cabin play their stereotypical roles with panache. The standout is Fran Kranz as the energetic and resourceful stoner. Bradley Whitford, Richard Jenkins and Whedon regular Amy Acker are more than acceptable as the scientist/puppet masters.

If I had read the outrageous and over the top ending on paper -- including a cameo from a huge star of the genre - I would have rejected it out of hand as being patently ridiculous. However, on screening the ending, I don't see how else it could have ended. It's so twisted and supernatural that it makes picking apart the plot at that point irrelevant, which is to the credit of the clever writers. In all, Cabin in the Woods is well worth checking out. That said, I'm not sure how a younger viewer without any prior knowledge of horror movies would enjoy seeing a film that trades in viewer identification with the Elm Streets, the Friday the 13ths, and the Halloweens. Perhaps they should be exposed to those films first.
  • February 11, 2013
    A film that makes fun of the cliches of the horror genre and also offers something grander than its seemingly simple premise. "Cabin in the Woods" is one hell of a ride that is sure to entertain. It's one of the best horror/comedy films ever made.

It's well directed, perfectly ... read morewritten, and the suspense is always there. The acting is superb with the stoner dude being the obvious standout; he's hilarious. The film may seem straightforward, but trust me, you won't know the whole deal until the very end. It's basically a work of genius.

Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon obviously had a lot of fun here; together they have created something truly original by using the generic horror story as their template. But there's more than meets the eye to this film.
  • December 26, 2012
    An incredibly clever take on the horror film. "Cabin in the Woods" at once explains in the most fantastic way why horror films are so predictable and so formulaic while simultaneously daring filmmakers to think outside the box when it comes to the genre. The result is an entertai... read morening, unpredictable little romp not to be missed.
  • December 21, 2012
    In my opinion The Cabin in the Woods has changed the horror genres. It really does have something for every horror fan, whether it's gore, slasher, comedy or what ever, it's all here. It's clever too, nothing is cliched, in fact, this is the anti-cliche horror film. Long time com... read moreing and done brilliantly. I loved the characters, the monsters, the storyline and I loved the outcome. There is nothing I disliked about it, I thought it was brilliant. Hopefully now everyone else will raise the game, and to think The Innkeepers was touted as the best horror of 2012!
  • December 14, 2012
    four stars

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD