The Brave One
The Brave One (2007)

New York radio host Erica Bain has a life that she loves and a fiance she adores. All of it is taken from her when a brutal attack leaves Erica badly wounded and her fiance dead. Unable to move past the tragedy, Erica begins prowling the… More

Directed By:
Rated: R
Running Time:
Release Date: February 5, 2008
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
43%
Flixster
User Score
64%

Critic Score: 43% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Magnetic by between Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard can't quite compensate for The Brave One's problematic and unconvincing eye-for-an-eye moral.

Christopher Orr
The New Republic

The Brave One is not merely the most morally repellent film of the year, but a contender for the stupidest.

Full review…
Richard Roeper
Ebert & Roeper

I think The Brave One could have been a better film with a different ending, but it's still a well-crafted, thought-provoking story with outstanding performances.

Matthew Pejkovic
Matt's Movie Reviews

The Brave One can at times be a brutal, violent and harrowing portrait of an over burdened system, where thugs rule the streets and the corrupt contaminate the upper echelon of society. It is also an un-original revenge/vigilante story.

Full review…
Trevor Johnston
Time Out

Beautifully played, the tantalising accretion of mutual understanding between Foster and Howard is one of the film's strengths, yet the plot machinations required to lever it into position would overstretch credibility in the clunkiest action flick.

Full review…
Claudia Puig
USA Today

Foster does her best with a flawed story whose ending rings even less true than the rest of it.

Full review…
Fernando F. Croce
CinePassion

Deplorable urban-vengeance melodrama

Full review…
Peter Travers
Rolling Stone

The fire goes out long before the film ends.

Kelly Vance
East Bay Express

Jodie Foster and thoughtful Irish international director Neil Jordan take us to places we'd probably rather avoid.

Full review…
Mike Scott
Times-Picayune

You know what would be brave? Making an unflinching film about a difficult-to-tackle topic and complex characters, and sticking to your message, damn the torpedoes.

Full review…
More reviews for The Brave One

Flixster Audience Score: 64% Flixster User Reviews
Daniel Perry
A rather original film, or so I thought - my friends tell me it's a Death Wish rip-off, so I'm adding that one to the list of shame! - in which a… More
Apeneck Fletcher
Formuliac revenge piece ala Charles Bronson's Death Wish series of the 70's with Jodie Foster in the lead but little more to recommend it. Terrance… More
Jens S.
This thriller takes the classic revenge story and adds a deeply psychological level: what does violence happening against us and those we love to our soul? In… More
Alex roy
The Brave One is an average action film with a decent cast of actors. I thought that the film was pretty entertaining despite the fact that the ideas in the… More
Jim Hunter
A victim of a brutal mugging becomes a vigilante. Stylishly directed by Neil Jordan, as she did in <i>Flightplan</i> and <i>Panic… More
Matt Goodman
Completely underrated. Great acting from Jodie Foster and features some great action and a good story.

More Like This