close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jodie Foster, Terrence Howard, Nicky Katt, Naveen Andrews, Mary Steenburgen ... see more see more... , Ene Oloja , Luis Da Silva Jr. , Blake Foster , Rafael Sardina , Jane Adams (II) , Gordon MacDonald , Zöe Kravitz , John Magaro , Victor Colicchio , Jermel Howard , Dennis L.A. White , Julia Garro , Brian Delate , Lenny Venito , Carmen Ejogo , Dana Eskelson , Angel Sing , Yolande Bavan , Ivo Velon , Tina Sloan , Jaime Tirelli , Larry Fessenden , Nguyen Anh Hoa , Brian Tarantina , Michael Anthony Williams , Jesús Ruiz , Hope Adams , Joseph Melendez , Ted Neustadt , Brett Berg , Dr. Jeffery Manko , Mick Cunningham , Lisa Joyce , Tom Greer , David Naizir , Robert Michael McClure , Tashya Valdevit , Lai-Si Fernandez , Moises Acevedo , Jack Caruso , Jim Taylor McNickle , Rosanne C. Lucarelli , Leif Riddell , DeShaun Stallworth , Michael J. Burg , Creighton James , Clayton Dean Smith , Barbara Gayle , Anna Margaret Hollyman , Lily Mercer , Musto Pelinkovicci , Dean Meminger , Cheryl Wills , Dennis Johnson , Terrance Howard

New York radio host Erica Bain has a life that she loves and a fiance she adores. All of it is taken from her when a brutal attack leaves Erica badly wounded and her fiance dead. Unable to move past t... read more read more...he tragedy, Erica begins prowling the city streets at night to track down the men she holds responsible. Her dark pursuit of justice catches the public's attention, and the city is riveted by her anonymous exploits. But, with the NYPD desperate to find the culprit and a dogged police detective hot on her trail, she must decide whether her quest for revenge is truly the right path, or whether she is becoming the very thing she is trying to stop.

Flixster Users

64% liked it

274,125 ratings

Critics

43% liked it

183 critics

DVD Release Date: February 5, 2008

Stats: 16,109 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (16,109)

• October 19, 2012
    A rather original film, or so I thought - my friends tell me it's a Death Wish rip-off, so I'm adding that one to the list of shame! - in which a radio host becomes a sort of she-Batman (with a gun), a vigilante driven by rage at her lover's murder. I though the premise was inter... read moreesting and contemporary, but unfortunately the script is grossly overwritten and the story unfolds at a plodding and wandering pace, becoming predictable, too, when the cops repeat certain details or make a big note of given evidence and thereby tell us the formulaic direction this movie will take before reaching its too-contrived "twist" ending. I did like the way Jodie Foster showed several sides of this character, though, particularly the emboldened radio persona she adopts, and Mary Steenburgen's bit part and Terrence Howard's lead cop role were both well played. It was a real shame how little this script rewarded the actors' work in this neo-noir miss.
  • July 5, 2012
    This thriller takes the classic revenge story and adds a deeply psychological level: what does violence happening against us and those we love to our soul? In case of Jodie Foster's case here we get so afraid that we start shooting everyone threatening us. The film makes sure to ... read morestick to targets that "deserve" that treatment, it never dares to challenge the vigilante point of view by her shooting the wrong guy. The solution to the whole dilemma adds to the fact that the film chickens out on positioning itself. Of course it does not ask for anyone to raise arms and enforce to their own ideas of the law. It does let the character get away with this a little too easily and that leaves a stale taste in your mouth. The camera work and acting is top notch, no complaints there. This could have just been so much more enthralling and morally ambiguous.
  • June 18, 2012
    A victim of a brutal mugging becomes a vigilante.
    Stylishly directed by Neil Jordan, as she did in Flightplan and Panic Room Jodie Foster summons her inner bad ass, and the result is another convincing performance from a very talented actress.
    The film, however, is ... read morenot well written. Mercer, the detective assigned to the case of Foster's vigilante killer, is not constructed well, transitioning at a critical moment in the third act illogically; his plan doesn't even make sense within the plot. What is more, the film essentially supports vigilantism without a critical eye. It would be a more complex exploration of this idea if Erica killed someone whom she realizes is innocent of any mortal sin. Also, the style of the film - Neil Jordan moving the camera like it's a boat at sea - is occasionally effective but eventually annoying.
    Overall, despite all the great work Foster does, I think there's little that could have saved this film as it is written.
  • December 16, 2011
    Formuliac revenge piece ala Charles Bronson's Death Wish series of the 70's with Jodie Foster in the lead but little more to recommend it. Terrance Howard and the rest of the supporting cast cannot believe that a woman would turn vigilante ... which is tougher acting than it sou... read morends.
  • November 23, 2011
    The Brave One is an average action film with a decent cast of actors. I thought that the film was pretty entertaining despite the fact that the ideas in the plot have been done countless times before in other films. The film is for me, anyways, mindless entertainment. The film is... read more good enough for a mindless viewing experience, but it's not the type of film that you'd want to rewatch again and again. I thought for the most part, Jodie Foster gave a good performance here. The film is pretty good overall, and though it isn't a great film, the film manages to entertaining enough for you to enjoy a good two hours. This is not Jodie Foster's best film, but for what it is, it still is pretty entertaining. The story is engaging, thrilling and better than what most people would think. I enjoyed this film, and thought it was really good albeit the dreadful reviews it has received. Of course it's no masterpiece, but it still is very entertaining and thrilling with enough action to deliver a mindless, fun two hours. The Brave One is simply good, flawed entertainment. There are worse films out there. Overall I liked this film, and it had some good action bits and was a fun, mindless entertaining film. However it leaves a lot to be desired, despite this, this is a film still worth watching. A good film that will appeal to anyone looking for a decent action film. Worth watching at least once.
  • May 30, 2011
    Completely underrated. Great acting from Jodie Foster and features some great action and a good story.
  • May 14, 2011
    An emtionally charged, vigilante killer with a feminine touch, a good role for Jodie Foster, but yet another solid performance for the ever underrated Terrance Howard.

Fairly belieable, slowly paced, almost comes across as a dark superhero film at times because of the narration.
  • April 6, 2011
    A somber, slow-paced, ominous-scored film that needs to be viewed without distraction. The simple premise is less significant when confronted with the subtle psychology of many of the sequences.
  • November 4, 2010
    The Brave one has 2 very big problems. 1) Jodie Foster 2) The ridiculous storyline, especially the ending. To Neil Jordan's credit, it does look good but that's as far as it goes, he's a great director and is better than this. 1st rule of Neil Jordan films, only bother with the o... read morenes starring Stephen Rea!
  • May 9, 2010
    I wasn't expecting much from this. I hadn't heard an awful lot about it considering it was made a few years ago. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very emotional revenge, vigilante type film. Great lead actors, and a touching, thought provoking story. Well worth se... read moreeing if you haven't already!

Critic Reviews

Christopher Orr
September 22, 2008
Christopher Orr, The New Republic

The Brave One is not merely the most morally repellent film of the year, but a contender for the stupidest. Full Review

Trevor Johnston
September 28, 2007
Trevor Johnston, Time Out

Beautifully played, the tantalising accretion of mutual understanding between Foster and Howard is one of the film's strengths, yet the plot machinations required to lever it into position would overs... Full Review

Peter Travers
September 20, 2007
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

The fire goes out long before the film ends.

Richard Roeper
September 18, 2007
Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper

I think The Brave One could have been a better film with a different ending, but it's still a well-crafted, thought-provoking story with outstanding performances.

Claudia Puig
September 14, 2007
Claudia Puig, USA Today

Foster does her best with a flawed story whose ending rings even less true than the rest of it. Full Review

Peter Howell
September 14, 2007
Peter Howell, Toronto Star

Uncertainty helps keep The Brave One on its toes. Full Review

Moira MacDonald
September 14, 2007
Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times

A violent action movie with a heart and soul. Watching it is difficult; forgetting it is more so. Full Review

Ruthe Stein
September 14, 2007
Ruthe Stein, San Francisco Chronicle

You long for all this combined talent to be in the service of something more deserving than a retread of a story that has lost the edge it had 33 years ago. Full Review

Tasha Robinson
September 14, 2007
Tasha Robinson, AV Club

The moody tone and carefully balanced drama turn a grubby premise into something unexpectedly elegant. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
September 14, 2007
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

Clever, calculated, 'responsible' filmmaking. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• A History of Violence
    A History of Violence (96%)
  • Falling Down
    Falling Down (94%)
  • Law Abiding Citizen
    Law Abiding Citizen (94%)
  • Captivity
    Captivity (33%)

Facts

No facts approved yet. Be the first

The Brave One : Watch Free on TV

The Brave One Trivia

• To date Johnny Depp has only directed one film, what is it called?  Answer »
  • What actor starred in Superman, The Brave, One Eyed Jacks, and Guys and Dolls?  Answer »
  • Of all the films Kirk Douglas has made - he is proudest of this one  Answer »
  • Who starts in the movie "the Brave one"?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin