Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel ... see more see more... , Celia Imrie , Penelope Wilton , Patrick Pearson , Hugh Dickson , James Rawlings , Liza Tarbuck , Paul Bhattacharjee , Lucy Robinson , Ronald Pickup , Simon Wilson , Sara Stewart , Ramona Marquez , Raoul Marquez , Glen Davies , Jay Villiers , Paul Bentall , Louise Brealey , Catherine Terris , Richard Cubison , Josh Cohen , Joshua Cole , Bhuvanesh Shetty , Honey Chhaya , Shubhrajyoti Barat , Narendra Kumar Ahmed , Hem Acharya , Kailash Vijay , Tena Desae , Sid Makkar , Seema Azmi , Vishnu Sharma , Lillete Dubey , Denzil Smith , Jagdish A. Sharma , Sandeep Lele , Diana Hardcastle , Neeraj Kadela , S.N. Purohit , Shiv Palawat , Mahesh Udeshi , Neena Kulkarni , Rajendra Gupta , Gagan Mishra , A.R. Rama

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly rest... read more read more...ored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past. -- (C) Fox Searchlight

Flixster Users

79% liked it

69,976 ratings

Critics

78% liked it

148 critics

DVD Release Date: September 18, 2012

Stats: 3,410 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (3,410)

• June 28, 2013
    This was sweet, with banner acting. Nothing too exciting.
  • March 20, 2013
    For all of the criticism about this screenplay being too contrived and self assured, there is a life affirming heart beating here, and of course it doesn't hurt that the beating heart is in the hands of some of the best actors in the biz.

Sure, you probably will come away from t... read morehis film not knowing anything new, but I know I walked away with a smile on my face. Yes, everything comes together, the guy gets the girl, etc. but at the core this film is about living - that it is particularly relevant to those of a certain age is irrelevant, as the message would be the same regardless of the age bracket.

The film starts in a rather shaky fashion, giving us the names and the impetus for each cast member to be heading off to India. Then you have the travel log bonding sequence and some slightly amusing culture clash stuff... but then slowly the film shifts gears and reels you in, giving each character a chance to breath and become more than a caricature, helped in no small measure by the superb understated acting of the core group of Brits. From the easy command and yet vulnerable Tom Wilkinson, to the henpecked gentle man portrayed by Bill Nighy, each performance has not a hair out of place. And heaven forefend if I neglect to mention the women folk: you have the two actresses from Downton Abbey, Penelope Wilton and Dame Maggie Smith... and for good measure, throw in another Dame with Judi Dench. All three are spot on and make the lyrical British script sing.

The film also gives a slight glimpse into Indian mores and values, from the remnants of the caste system to the arranged marriage and importance of family and honor - but that conveniently gets a wink, wink, oh nevermind bit of short shift from the script, as if attempting to bring serious drama into the affair would somehow ruin the lighthearted mood... but regardless, this film has many a fine moment and recovers from the shaky beginning to give you good solid entertainment and a life affirming, feel good mood that prevails. Not a classic, but you could certainly do much worse. As is stated several times during the film "Everything will be all right in the end and if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end" - a nice way to say keep on keeping on.
  • February 26, 2013
    After all the hype on tv trailers and the media hype, this turned out to be quite the dissapointment. The acting was good and the choice of people to play each part was also good, but overall story was rather poor. Maybe a Sr Citizens movie. 3 stars 2-24-13
  • January 12, 2013
    This movie gets extra points for its amazing British Cast and british comedy!
    Although it has a great cast with the best of british actresses and actors coming together all in one movie,
    showing that england does have the best of the acting talents this movie just lacks somethi... read moreng! Its is funny and enjoyable and a very sweet drama! Thorougly enjoyable!
  • fb100000145236770
    December 14, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" is a film that follows a group of British retirees as they take a trip to a renovated hotel in India for a vacation. When they get there, the hotel isn't exactly what they were expecting. But what they get is the trip of a lifetime that changes each... read more one of them. This is a dramedy with an excellent cast. Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkenson, Dev Patel, and Maggie Smith all star and make up a great ensemble. Having said that, this movie isn't aimed towards me or my demographic at all. This is for elderly people, or British people, and I am neither(at least not yet). I thought it was ok, but it drags in spots, and for a movie that is up for Best Comedy at the Golden Globes, not very funny. This is much more of drama, but there are some humorous moments. If you like movies like "Calender Girls", then this is right up your alley. Otherwise, it's worth a watch, but it may or may not be your cup of tea.
  • December 3, 2012
    Nice, nice movie! Plenty of chuckles, charm, and top-notch actors. This movie had it all. Excellent acting. Great script. Fantastic locations. Genuine relationships that were well drawn, and realistically portrayed - from racism to broken marriages. Not a movie for hard core acti... read moreon buffs. This one is for thoughtful people who enjoy in depth stories, and heartful situations....in a mildly comedic way. :)
  • November 10, 2012
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel opens up with the clarification of one goal. The film wishes not to inspire; it desires not to change the world or alter Hollywood's own standards. It just wants to entertain. This is certain in its premise, which acts vis-à-vis every film of its il... read morek from Harold and Maude (1971) up through The Bucket List (2008). Why yes, this is a comedy about a group of senior citizens who escape life as they know it and rejuvenate themselves. Put aside this formula and it's quite an amusing indie comedy for almost any age. For an over-50 audience, it's likely to ring with some authenticity. For a 50-and-younger audience, it's Little Miss Sunshine "lite" with several Alan Arkins.
  • November 5, 2012
    Seven British retirees relocate to the titular establishment in India, run by a hospitable but bumbling young entrepreneur. A great cast makes for a pleasant if predictable entry in the inspiration "cute old folks find a reason to grind out a few more years" subgenre.
  • November 4, 2012
    "If your a huge movie fan, you can not pass up a cast of greats like this. I REALLY enjoyed the film. I know it's not going to be for a large group of movie watchers, but movie fans will flock to see these greats on screen together in one film. I LOVE Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bi... read morell Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and Celia Imrie. So of course the acting was spot on. When I seen that this group would all be starring into a film together, I had to see it. I didn't even care what the story was going to be about. But after watching it, I really enjoyed it. Six different stories rolled up into one quite well. Some where given more screen time which was really needed. The movie is sweet and sad. The movie has a great message about living. To not let your age define you. Demand to be heard and seen and not swept away because your of no use to someone. It left me with a smile. I would definitely watch it again."
  • October 29, 2012
    A pitch perfect comedy with a pitch perfect all-star cast. A smart, very charming and wonderfully funny movie that's breathtaking and heartwarming all the way to the end. A true classic. A masterpiece from Director, John Madden. A marvelous, enjoyable and gorgeously crafted enter... read moretainment that's a must-see. An utterly delightful and truly feel-good film. A glorious blend of comedy and drama that has lots of character development and surprises to go around. A beautiful experience that's a great way to spend two hours. The performances are all flawless and have heart. Tom Wilkonson is extraordinary. Bill Nighy is brilliant. Maggie Smith is terrific. Judi Dench is excellent. Dev Patel is fantastic. The cast have such wonderful chemistry together. I loved this film Their is certainly magic in this movie. A hilarious and deeply moving ride that touches you and makes you laugh. A wildly entertaining and outstanding piece of work.

Critic Reviews

Connie Ogle
May 11, 2012
Connie Ogle, Miami Herald

As for the Marigold Hotel, well, it's not the Delano. But overall it's a fine spot to spend a couple of hours. Full Review

Tom Long
May 11, 2012
Tom Long, Detroit News

Basically, there's just too much crammed into "Marigold Hotel" for any of it to have impact. It may work as comfort food for old folks, but a bit less may have yielded a great deal more. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
May 11, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

The movie itself is a mawkish comedy-drama-romance, but the astounding cast makes it feel like a night on the West End. Full Review

Joe Williams
May 11, 2012
Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" is an Indian dish for day-trippers. Lacking beef or sufficient spice, it's nonetheless colorful comfort food. Full Review

William Goss
May 10, 2012
William Goss, Film.com

The old pros elevate Hotel's otherwise pat screenplay into that sweet spot where predictability fails to negate pleasure. Full Review

Moira MacDonald
May 10, 2012
Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times

There's little that's surprising about the film - everyone ends up pretty much where you'd guess - but that predictable quality becomes part of the pleasure of watching it, like a book that's happily ... Full Review

Joe Morgenstern
May 5, 2012
Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

They're stuck with a script, by Ol Parker, that's stuffed with contrivance and cliché, and doggedly repetitive as it tracks its characters' efforts to find new love and adapt to new surroundings. Full Review

J. R. Jones
May 4, 2012
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

The witty script, Eastern locale, and tony cast may summon up memories of the old Merchant-Ivory films. Full Review

Peter Rainer
May 4, 2012
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is an ersatz experience, a commingling of forced uplift and exotica, but it's moving anyway. Full Review

Mary F. Pols
May 4, 2012
Mary F. Pols, TIME Magazine

There are brutal truths about the declining years in Best Exotic, from loneliness to financial woes that can't be solved by getting a new job, but they are amply padded with comedy and cheery messages... Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Bucket List
    The Bucket List (100%)
  • The Ballad of Nessie
    The Ballad of Nessie (0%)

Facts

• Madge Hardcastle: One was rather hoping to fly under the radar, but one is a member of the royal family.
    • Mr. Maruthi: Which member, madam?
    • Madge Hardcastle: I'm Princess Margaret.
    • Mr. Maruthi: It is most certainly an honor to meet you, madam. And may I say how well you look, especially taking into account that you died nine years ago.
    • Evelyn Greenslade: Is it our friend we are grieving for, whose life we knew so little? Or is it our own loss that we are mourning? Have we traveled far enough that we can allow our tears to fall?
    • Madge Hardcastle: When someone dies, you think about your own life. And I don't want to grow older. I don't want to be condescended to. To become marginalized and ignored by society. I don't want to be the first person they let off the plane in a hostage crisis.
    • Sonny Kapoor: You see? Profound satisfaction. Such is the inevitable result of a prolonged stay at the Marigold Hotel. To create a home for the elderly so wonderful that they will simply refuse to die. Stare death in the face and say... What are those men doing?
    • Evelyn Greenslade: Didn't you have a girlfriend?
    • Sonny Kapoor: She is my girlfriend no longer.
    • Evelyn Greenslade: This is a disaster.
    • Sonny Kapoor: No, no. Then we must treat it just the same as we would treat a triumph, madam. Is that not what your Mr. Kipling tells us? Although, of course, here we have a problem, because I, Sunil Indrajit Kapoor, have never had a triumph. So, of course, I do not know how to treat one. No, all I've had is a constant series of disasters interspersed with occasional catastrophe, an unending stream of total...
    • Evelyn Greenslade: What's the use of a marriage when nothing is shared?
    • Graham Dashwood: First rule of India; there's always room.

The Best Exotic M... : Watch Free on TV

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?