close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller ... see more see more... , Missi Pyle , Beth Grant , Ed Lauter , Joel Murray , Bitsie Tulloch , Ken Davitian , Malcolm McDowell , Basil Hoffman , Bill Fagerbakke , Nina Siemazko , Stephen Mendillo , Dash Pomerantz , Beau Nelson , Alex Holliday , Wiley M. Pickett , Ben Kurland , Katie Nisa , Katie Wallick , Hal Landon Jr. , Cleto Augusto , Sarah Karges , Sarah Scott , Maize Olinger , Ezra Buzzington , Fred Bishop , Stuart Pankin , Andy Milder , Bob Glouberman , David Allen Cluck , Kristian Falkenstein , Matt Skoller , Annie O'Donnell , Patrick Mapel , Matthew Albrecht , Harvey J. Alperin , Lily Knight , Clement Blake , Tasso Feldman , Chris Ashe , Adria Tennor , Cletus Young , J. Mark Donaldson , Brian Williams , Andrew Ross Wynn , Jen Lilley , Brian Chenoweth , Uggy , Tim De Zarn

Hollywood 1927. George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy M... read more read more...iller (Berenice Bejo), it seems the sky's the limit - major movie stardom awaits. The Artist tells the story of their interlinked destinies. -- (C) Weinstein

Flixster Users

88% liked it

55,709 ratings

Critics

98% liked it

229 critics

DVD Release Date: June 26, 2012

Stats: 7,495 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (7,495)

• March 18, 2014
    'The Artist' brings back the memories of silent movie era to the millennium era which is a different approach and the critics definitely love it.. But to tell you the truth, they're kinda a little over-rated this movie.. But the power of this movie is even it is a silent movie bu... read moret they're not boring.. So overall it's a great movie and definitely critics' favorite..
  • February 17, 2014
    Didn't really know what this was about for along time, saw the posters everywhere but never really took much notice, then I saw the trailer and knew I wanted to see it...mainly out of curiosity.

Freakin' awesome is all I can say, this film is 100% win from start to finish I tell... read more no lie. Yes it is a black and white film, yes it is a SILENT film and yes it is just like those old scratchy films you've seen in documentaries from the era, so why see it you ask?

If you wanna see a homage to old 1920's films with dashing well dressed chaps, cute dames and lovely choreographed sequences harking back to the days of the Hollywood musicals then this is for you. The plot isn't too original really, the film is very much along the lines of 'Singin in the Rain' in terms of the gentle charming humour and basic story outline. Add to this a lead man who in my opinion looks very much like Gene Kelly and he dances well too!

The two leads in this film (to me) are unknown performers (unless you live in France) yet they look like Hollywood regulars and fit this film amazingly, Jean Dujardin is good looking, elegant and has good visual comedy skills whilst Bérénice Bejo is very cute, the perfect partner, a great match to Kelly and Reynolds. There are one or two well known faces from Hollywood in the film, Goodman has a main role within the film but he doesn't really fit the bill for me, just kept thinking oh its John Goodman in black and white.

Its hard to think you could watch a silent film these days but it really is such a fresh welcome change of pace just to have a musical score, the only problem I had with the film was the lack of intertitles or text that comes up in place of sound/speech from the actors.

A great feel good movie with stunning visuals achieved using the basic technology of the time, its got plenty of charm, heart and warmth, there's something about a black and white film that is just so cozy. You simply can't help but enjoy and smile whilst watching this, younger viewers and teens beware...there are no explosions or CGI is this film (hurrah!).
  • fb1019018362
    May 5, 2013
    fb1019018362
    I think this movie is overrating. Okay. Thats unique, but the story is too flat.
  • May 3, 2013
    A true masterpiece! A great throwback to the Golden Age of Cinema and a wonderful film in general. It has a great sense humor and it is very charming. Go see it!
  • fb619846742
    February 25, 2013
    fb619846742
    A unique silent film concerning the business of silent films, and how one megawatt talent (Jean Dujardin) experiences the changing of times as his once prominent career is thrust into oblivion as a talent he helped along the way (Berenice Bejo) starts to see her career explode, a... read morend how the two remain connected. This movie is part satire on the industry, but it is largely a dark, unsettling look at a former titan whose ego and life take a pounding. The fact that director Michel Hazanavicius makes this movie so moving, being we actually care about these characters and how they will end up, is an enormous feat to pull off being that no words are spoken largely throughout this picture. Through a simple score, gorgeous cinematography, and Oscar-caliber turns from both Dujardin and Bejo, "The Artist" is a good motion picture. Some critics say it is "just another silent movie" and it is largely unnecessary, but I disagree. Maybe not deserving of the "Best Picture" award it got, but this film possesses a sort of darkness and somberness many silent films would never entertain, as largely the business was all fun and games, mostly concentrated on the slapstick antics of both Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. This film goes to dark places, which is surprising, but it pays off in the end.
  • February 1, 2013
    An absolute delight from start to finish. It`s beyond superb. An ingenious and deeply moving film filled with heart, humor and vision. A masterpiece of a film that returns to the heart and soul of the silent film, showing that body language and facial reactions were the way to em... read moreotion. This is a true work of art. A triumphant return to a long but never forgotten style of film-making. Director, Michel Hazanvicius crafts a wonderful, thrilling and breathtaking movie experience that you wont soon forget, A visual and outstanding piece of brilliance. Jean Dujardin gives a extraordinary and passionate performance, even tho he dosent say a word, you can feel his passion and power. Berence Bejo gives a remarkable and gorgeous performance, showing her beautiful smile and captivating the screen. Dujardin and Bejo are truly gorgeous and remarkable. It`s not just a romance between the two leads, but a romance of art demonstrating its visual dazzle and making for terrific entertainment. I truly loved this movie. A true must-see that's unforgettable. It`s funny, smart, tasteful and delightfully romantic picture.
  • January 27, 2013
    Great film. I applaud it for being a silent, black & white film in a decade full of movies with CG special effects and no substance. Everything about it was good. The stories cohesiveness lost me a bit toward the end so I had to rate it the way I did, but it brought me back w... read moreith a fine ending.
  • December 16, 2012
    Enchanting and beautiful film about success, jealousy, technology, the movie industry and (of course) love; the scene in which Peppy (Berenice Bejo) manipulates one arm of George's (Jean Valentin) suit on the hanger is one for the ages. A film that gets at what it is about movies... read more that so affects us, and one with compelling relationships between characters and a hero who's always on the knife-edge of success vs. failure. A fun throwback, too - even if Singin' in the Rain kind of did this first, it's a brilliant contemporary approach.
  • October 22, 2012
    It's straightforward, predictable, and not entirely deserving of its Academy commendation, but 'The Artist' is ultimately a delightful piece of escapism. It's a well-made and audacious homage to the first stars of Hollywood. It's a joy to watch, I became aware that I had a smile ... read moreon my face throughout the first twenty minutes, which was thanks to a combination of the jovial soundtrack, 'Uggie' the talented Jack Russell, and also I think Dujardin's rather infectious smile.

However, it's slightly darker than you may have imagined. The film concerns George Valentin (Jean Dujardin), a silent-movie star whose wellbeing is jeopardised upon the advent of the 'talkies'. So, as you can imagine, the film is as much a drama as it is a romantic comedy, if not more.

It really is remarkable what the cast have achieved with this film. I'm sure many people would have their reservations about this silent film, but I'm certain they'd be engrossed from the start, completely indifferent that it's missing a fundamental dimension. Of course, silent films aren't completely silent, they're scored, and 'The Artist' has a delightfully expressive soundtrack. Its energetic, upbeat tracks are my favourite; they have your torso gently swaying and your head bobbing jovially.

It's ultimately a very nice little film with good performances from everyone, particularly from Dujardin. Though he is great in it, I feel his Oscar wasn't fairly earned; his job was very different to the other contenders that year. However, if there was an Oscar for 'Best Smile', he would've won without a doubt.
  • October 2, 2012
    3 3/4's..DO NOT WATCH THIS if you are sleepy. Personally, I had to take a nap halfway through, so this one is a tough one for me to rate. BUT, I do applaud the originality (applied to todays films). I do appreciate the quality. I did think that it was very nice. I love old movies... read more (not necessarily silent films), so that part was easy for me. I really wish that I could rate it more, but I found myself bored a lot of the time.........AND it makes me laugh that they sell the soundtrack to this. Music to nap by?..lol

Critic Reviews

David Thomson
June 20, 2013
David Thomson, The New Republic

The whole thing is so damn clever and charming, it might just sneak off with Best Picture. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
February 15, 2013
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

It isn't arty or intellectual, though it is artful and ingenious, and it's the rare crowd-pleaser that never feels obvious or pandering. Full Review

Mark Rabinowitz
February 15, 2013
Mark Rabinowitz, CNN.com

There is literally nothing wrong with it. I don't have a single nit to pick, minor flaw to point out or little bit that annoyed me. It is pure magic from the first frame to the last. Full Review

Peter Howell
April 17, 2012
Peter Howell, Toronto Star

You can't fault it as smart entertainment, which eschews parody to make a sincere tribute that also serves as cogent current commentary. Full Review

Jon Frosch
March 7, 2012
Jon Frosch, The Atlantic

The movie ever fully shakes off its air of skillfully executed experiment, but it's spirited and charming nonetheless. Full Review

James Berardinelli
December 28, 2011
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

For a movie that is so much about technique, it's surprising how affecting the story is. Full Review

Joe Williams
December 23, 2011
Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

"The Artist" may be too cute to qualify as high art, but it's highly entertaining. Full Review

Tom Long
December 23, 2011
Tom Long, Detroit News

The Artist is the most surprising and delightful film of 2011. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
December 23, 2011
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

A silent movie shot in sumptuous black-and-white, no less. A silent flick made with not a jot of distancing winking, but instead born of a heady affection for a bygone, very bygone, era of filmmaking. Full Review

Colin Covert
December 22, 2011
Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune

It's a rocket to the moon fueled by unadulterated joy and pure imagination. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Singin' in the Rain
    Singin' in the Rain (99%)
  • Silent Movie
    Silent Movie (97%)
  • City Lights
    City Lights (98%)
  • A Better Life
    A Better Life (20%)

Facts

• Doris: I'm unhappy. George Valentin: So are millions of us.
    • George Valentin: So are millions of us.
    • Peppy Miller: The name's Miller. Peppy Miller!
    • Peppy Miller: Out with the old, in with the new! That's life!
    • George Valentin: *leaves his chair and motions towards it* I've made way for you.
    • Doris: I'm unhappy George.
    • George Valentin: So are millions of us.
    • Doris: Why do you refuse to talk?
    • George Valentin: [in a strong French accent] With pleasure!

The Artist : Watch Free on TV

The Artist Trivia

• Name the 1987 film pictured below, starring Molly Ringwald and Robert Downey Jr.   Answer »
  • What is the name of the movie where the artist and all of his German friends go off to war and die?  Answer »
  • Which actor has been a con artist, father of 12 kids, one of the 3 amigos and a detective?  Answer »
  • A young black martial artist, named Leroy, looked up to Bruce Lee, with a rival named ShoGun in what movie?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for The Artist. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?