Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Leighton Meester, Vanilla Ice, James Caan ... see more see more... , Milo Ventimiglia , Blake Clark , Meagen Fay , Tony Orlando , Will Forte , Rachel Dratch , Nick Swardson , Peggy Stewart , Luenell , Ciara , Ana Gasteyer , Eva Amurri Martino , Justin Weaver , Susan Sarandon , Dan Patrick , Rex Ryan , Dana Min Goodman , Julia Wolov , Abigail Klein , Carrie Wiita , Rebecca Marshall , Jackie Sandler , Erin Andrews , Sam Kaufman , Daniel Mendelson , Colin Quinn , Peter Dante , Rao Rampilla , Patty Ross , Christopher Titone , J.D. Donaruma , Alan Thicke , Ian Ziering , Mike Sandler , Sadie Sandler , Sunny Sandler , Abdoulaye N'Gom , Baron Davis , Amber Paul , Brad Grunberg , Dennis Dugan , Allen Zwolle , Nancy Yee , Koji Kataoka , Jason Venezia , Kristen Valinch , Sheriden Thomas , Claude Tondreau , Michael J. Cammilleri , Scott Beardsley , Christian E. Boeger , Sue Lee , Robert Harvey , Randall Morgan , Paul Pabst , Todd Fritz , Patrick O'Connor , Andrew J. Perloff , Rich Eisen , Todd Bridges , Andy Samb

While still in his teens, Donny (Adam Sandler) fathered a son, Todd (Andy Samberg), and raised him as a single parent up until Todd's 18th birthday. Now, after not seeing each other for years, Todd's ... read more read more...world comes crashing down on the eve of his wedding when an uninvited Donny suddenly shows up. Trying desperately to reconnect with his son, Donny is now forced to deal with the repercussions of his bad parenting skills. -- (C) Sony

Flixster Users

52% liked it

119,934 ratings

Critics

20% liked it

113 critics

R, 1 hr. 56 min.

Directed by: Sean Anders

Release Date: June 15, 2012

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: October 16, 2012

Stats: 4,422 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (4,422)

• September 30, 2013
    Not as bad as it could have been... Somewhere in this movie is a tolerable story about an estranged father and son, and around it is the usual Sandler frat boy schtick. It's immature, it's gross, but I've got to admit: I laughed. Nowhere near as bad as Bulletproof, I Now Pronounc... read moree You Chuck and Larry, or Little Nicky, but can't keep up with Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison either. What you see is what you get: Sandler using the money from his past successes to give younger, funnier actors an opportunity and to keep his usual crew employed. It's forgettable, disposable work, but honestly... were you expecting anything better?
  • May 30, 2013
    two stars!
  • March 31, 2013
    Yep, another Sandler stinker. I honestly don't know why I keep doing it to myself. It's clear he's never going to make another Wedding Singer.
  • February 6, 2013
    A mixed bag that I mostly enjoyed thanks to hyperbolic statements of the film's ineptitude. It really wasn't all that bad, and there were some moments that were actually quite good in terms of comedy. Adam Sandler plays a deadbeat dad who fathered a child with his teacher at the ... read moreage of 14. The opening scenes of the teacher seducing the child are offensive and mishandled, but not because of their content, but because the film doesn't challenge itself later on and tries to convince us the characters were in love. Andy Samberg plays his role too straight, and Sandler is too obnoxious. BUT, there is at least one silver lining in the most unexpected of places, with Vanilla Ice playing himself in a self-deprecating role that has all the best material, including the final punchline for a warped tattoo joke, and a race against the clock in a car that has to turn into a foot race. The film is more misses than hits, but it also just doesn't give a damn.
  • November 8, 2012
    Everyone has a teenage crush... Donny's went a little too far.

Good funny movie! The plot of the movie is actually quite descent, and it is a spiral of fun. You will laugh at the movie, and laugh with the movie. You will laugh at the movie because it can get very silly. Adam San... read moredler and Andy Samberg have AMAZING chemistry, and I think we are expecting more from the duo, well, hopefully! Susan Sarandon and Vanilla Ice are in the movie, yeah it's kind of weird, but hey, its funny!

While still in his teens, Donny (Adam Sandler) fathered a son, Todd (Andy Samberg), and raised him as a single parent up until Todd's 18th birthday. Now, after not seeing each other for years, Todd's world comes crashing down on the eve of his wedding when an uninvited Donny suddenly shows up. Trying desperately to reconnect with his son, Donny is now forced to deal with the repercussions of his bad parenting skills.
  • October 31, 2012
    Sandler has done it again! Insulted our intelligence, that is, with another cringe-worthy effort of a comedy. Because after setting a new record in degeneracy with last year's turkey Jack and Jill, it's hardly surprising to see That's My Boy getting on the bullet tr... read moreain to the straight-to-DVD shelf. At least as far as Sweden goes.

Already in the opening, I'm getting blips on my shit detector as the teenage version Sandler's character goes on to knock up one of his teachers before a cheering auditorium, whereupon she gets thrown into the joint and he is delegated the responsibility of raising their son. Nothing objectionable about that premise per se, for who doesn't fondly remember Juno with a lovely Ellen Page as a teenage mom? However, where Juno delivered cute indie charm and well-written dialogue, That's My Boy is more at the level of the MTV series 16 and Pregnant, if not more substance-devoid yet.

As we skip ahead to present day, Donny and his son Todd (who was baptized as Han Solo Berger, but for understandable reasons changed his name) have drifted completely apart. Todd, who is played by The Lonely Island's Andy Samberg, wants nothing to do with his deadbeat dad, but is soon shanghaied into a reunion as Donny picks up on the news that his estranged son is about to get married. Awkwardness ensues - and yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.

Unsympathetic characters and horrible acting from everyone between the main cast to the extras, makes it a challenge to extract any joy from this slovenly brewed gallimaufry. Adding insult to injury, the sludge is furthermore smeared out over a godforsaken two-hour running time.

All I can say in terms of positives, is that isn't fully as insufferable as the suck-fest Jack and Jill. But that's like comparing a derailed night on the town with a hygienically questionable restaurant visit - either way you'll drop to your knees, with many a prayers to the porcelain gods. And by the time you glance at the clock - because trust me, it'll happen - you'll be in misery to know that there's still 1 hour and 55 minutes left to go.
  • October 26, 2012
    Laughed my balls off at it, best Adam Sandler movie for ages
  • October 22, 2012
    What's worse about this than...well, everything about this, is that there was effort made by a large faction of the cast. People actually tried to make this a good movie, and why I can't tell. Adam Sandler is no longer a box office giant or a semi-critical darling; that was prove... read mored by the complete lack of trying on Jack and Jill (2011). So why did this come into being? What possible purpose does this film exact but to torture us and ruin careers? Well, to that I say, people still enjoy Adam Sandler movies. People who don't care about content and just want to watch gross humor love his films and the friends he chooses to put in them. Now, the concept or plot isn't all too interesting, but the people involved acted their hearts out. Andy Samberg, already having floundered with his first film debacle, Hot Rod (2007) obviously made this to act alongside his idol, former SNL cast member Adam Sandler, and actually impressed me with his broad approach to humor and his strange likability. There were a lot of strangely impressive cameos from everyone from Vanilla Ice and Todd Bridges, to a small part played by none other than James Caan. Even Leighton Meester as a repressed bride to be and Milo Ventimiglia as her paranoid soldier brother gave solid performances. The main problems lie solely in the humor, not what content it reflects, but why it's not funny. There aren't any real jokes. Things are funny because she's fat, or she's old, or he's a priest. They're jokes that rely on shock humor in an age where half the online population has seen Two Girls One Cup. Everyone tries extremely hard to make this into a trashy guilty pleasure, but I just felt guilty after watching it, maybe a little dirty and grimy as well. Sandler is the cornerstone, and yes his antics and problematic story do build the plot successfully, and sometimes he cops a cheap laugh, but he is the only one acting like a whore for this film. He does the stupid voice and flounders a bit and calls it a performance. It just isn't fair to the likes of Susan Sarandon, Nick Swardson (who really does nothing), and Luenell, bless her. It's just getting phony, though I buy into it every time. Damn Sandler, you're good.
  • October 3, 2012
    An ok but childish comedy which suits well for a couple of hours of easy fun.
  • fb100000145236770
    September 30, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    I've been an Adam Sandler fan since his SNL days, but some of his last few movies have stunk. "Jack and Jill", need I say more? Luckily, he returns to form here and this is right up there with some of his better movies(no quite "Happy Gilmore", but around "Mr. Deeds"). This is... read more a good old fashioned R-Rated comedy, with lots of raunch. Sandler plays Donny, a guy who fathered a kid when he was 14 with his teacher. Todd(Andy Samberg) is his estranged grown son, and he is about to get married. Donny needs 43,000 dollars to pay the IRS or he is going to prison. He devises a plan to reunite with his son, and do a tv interview at the prison where his teacher mother is to get the money. What ensues is a lot crazy outrageous stuff between trashy Donny, and Todd's new rich lifestyle. There will be a lot of people put off by this, or don't really care for it. But if your a degenerate like me, you'll find a lot of humor. The movie runs nearly 2 hours long, which is a bit much, but the laughs keep coming throughout. Sandler and Samberg have great chemistry, and hopefully they continue to do films together. it's great to see that Sandler can still make very funny, adult comedies. Definitely worth a watch or two.

Critic Reviews

Ben Kenigsberg
September 5, 2012
Ben Kenigsberg, Time Out

The basic joke keeps on giving and the sweetness of the parent-child bonding scenes plays well. Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
June 17, 2012
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

It points you toward the irresistible conclusion that for all his success Sandler feels only contempt for his audience and tremendous insecurity about his own stature in the comedy universe. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
June 17, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

Surprisingly mean-spirited from start to finish. Full Review

Nick Pinkerton
June 17, 2012
Nick Pinkerton, Village Voice

Sandler's latest wicked pissah, a paean to let-it-all-hang-out party-guy sloppiness... Full Review

James Rocchi
June 16, 2012
James Rocchi, MSN Movies

If someone told you about almost every joke in That's My Boy, you would think they were either a sociopath or a budding serial killer. Full Review

Richard Roeper
June 15, 2012
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

Vulgar, tasteless, mean-spirited and most offensive of all--not funny. Full Review

Eric D. Snider
June 15, 2012
Eric D. Snider, Film.com

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch something funnier than That's My Boy. It's a video of my mother being torn apart by bears. Good day. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
June 15, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

Most of this is just gross without being funny, full of the go-to jokes (fat people running! old people talking dirty!) that only dirty-minded kids would laugh at. Full Review

Rene Rodriguez
June 15, 2012
Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald

Is it time for Adam Sandler to stop appearing in his own movies? Full Review

Owen Gleiberman
June 15, 2012
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

On some level I marveled at the conviction that Adam Sandler pours into playing a character like Donny Berger, a boneheaded, loud-mouthed alcoholic loser from Boston. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Billy Madison
    Billy Madison (83%)
  • Bad Teacher
    Bad Teacher (25%)
  • Anger Management
    Anger Management (100%)
  • Grown Ups 2
    Grown Ups 2 (100%)

Facts

• Grandma Delores: He shouldn't be masturbating if he's feeling so under-the-weather!
    • Donny: Who the fuck is rich in this house?
    • Judge: He makes me feel like there's a rainbow coming out of my beaver.
    • Jamie: It's what good looking people do! They have sex with other good looking people, you know.
    • Chad: I've got better morals than that Donnie!
    • Brie: It's what good looking people do! They have sex with other good looking people, you know.

That's My Boy : Watch Free on TV

That's My Boy Trivia

• What movie contains the following lines - Angela Holden: So you're like... ransom. Julie Beckley: That's hot. Zack Mazursky: It's ok. Its like another story to tell my grandchildren Julie Beckley: Stolen boy.   Answer »
  • Jeff: Dude, jerking off on my mom is one thing. But banging your grandmother and her roommates? That's like... legendary. Alex: You're an idiot. What film?  Answer »
  • Who stars in That's My Boy?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for That's My Boy. Want to create one?

Meet Other Fans

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?