close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Seth MacFarlane, Joel McHale, Giovanni Ribisi ... see more see more... , Patrick Warburton , Matt Walsh , Jessica Barth , Aedin Mincks , Bill Smitrovich , Patrick Stewart , Brett Manley , Ralph Garman , Alex Borstein , John Viener , Laura Vandervoort , Robert Wu , Ginger Gonzaga , Jessica Stroup , Melissa Ordway , Max Harris , Zane Cowans , T.J. Hourigan , Owen Clarke , Kristina Ellery , Katelyn Lorren , Chanty Sok , Sara Fischer , Cassie Djerf , Joe Siriani , Patrick Shea , Henry Penzi , Tania Cabrera , Colton Shires , Viera Andrea Moya , Hajee Kim , Lydia Hannibal , Shawn Thornton , Eric Weinstein , Danny Smith , Mike Nikitas , Robin Hamilton , Mike Henry , Johnny Lee Davenport , Christina Everett , Sam J. Jones

Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane brings his boundary-pushing brand of humor to the big screen for the first time as writer, director and voice star of Ted. In the live action/CG-animated comedy, he ... read more read more...tells the story of John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg), a grown man who must deal with the cherished teddy bear who came to life as the result of a childhood wish...and has refused to leave his side ever since. -- (C) Universal

Flixster Users

74% liked it

369,112 ratings

Critics

68% liked it

202 critics

DVD Release Date: December 11, 2012

Stats: 20,127 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (20,127)

• September 16, 2014
    For me, Ted seems to be for all of the kids who grew up in the 80's. Kids like me who loved films like ET and The Boy who could Fly etc. Instead of trying to recapture those films for a new audience, this film is made for us 80's kids who have now grown up. For that, I thank you ... read moreSeth MacFarlane and I wish others would now follow suit. However, you do not speak for a generation. I liked Ted and I like Family Guy but to a point. It's racist and offensive to many minorities, the excuse that 'We're just holding a mirror up to society' doesn't work anymore. It's not satire and it's no longer funny or effective. Take out the racism and the few unfunny jokes and you've got something special but as it is it is unfortunately tarnished. Three stars for the idea and for the brilliant Sam Jones Flash Gordon cameo.

http://cinephilecrocodile.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/ted-dir-macfarlane-2012-for-me-ted.html
  • August 30, 2014
    High profile comedy (due to McFarlane's name on it) interestingly/ironically about a man/boy choosing to grow up. There's a problem though when the technical reality of Wahlberg and Kunis relating to a animation (which they really do quite well) is more interesting than the stor... read morey. Not to say that there aren't good bits in it, but those are mostly what were used in the pre-release trailer. In other words, meh.
  • fb223580
    December 23, 2013
    fb223580
    The ending was stupid and resolved none of the issues that had led to their relationship crisis.
  • September 6, 2013
    The most popular stuffed animal doll in 2012! Perhaps that is my new nickname for Ted because of his appearance in this movie, Teddy Bear become more famous and people just wish they had a friend just like Ted.. The story itself is quite unique, the fantasy relationship that turn... read mores out to be modern day - buddies friendship between a human and a talking stuffed animal doll.. Seth MacFarlane did a quite impressive job in here, as a voice cast for Ted but also the producer-director-writer of this movie.. And the most wonderful thing about this movie is : Seth takes the audiences from the starting point of John-Ted relationship, and then their highest point when they are already thunder buddies, then lowest point when John leaving Ted for Lori.. And all of that wrapped with a beautiful soundtrack from Norah Jones that really blows the audiences away.. Overall, I really like this movie..
  • July 18, 2013
    Sometimes silly and nothing original - like the 'mature' but still a big child that spent more time with his stupid friend that with his beautiful girlfriend, the stupid friend almost over with his pal relationship, it have a fight between them, the handsome boss of the girlfrien... read mored try to seduce her and doesn't care about the boyfriend, the stupid friend is a womanizer, etc etc - we all see this stuff in other films, exemple I love you Man and Dinner with Schmucks. We also see the cute Teddy bear having a nice friendship with a kid in others films, series, books and whatever. And the crazy guy that want to steal an important personal toy for him, another exemple: Toy Story 2. But still, Ted bring good laughs and become a kind of original comedy... how that's possible?!.. I don't know, but they did that.
  • April 9, 2013
    This is one of those either you love it, or hate it kind of movies. I LOVE Seth MacFarlane, so this was a no brainer for me. I found this really funny, and really entertaining. I had many laugh out loud moments....:)
  • March 31, 2013
    A very funny film if you like Family guy sense of humour. I did wonder about the whole talking teddy bear thing and if they could pull it off, but it looks great....must have put a lot of detail into the animation for Ted. The film is very funny, although very close to crossing t... read morehe line at times but this is from the same people behind family guy after all so you know what to expect. All the thrown back's to things in the 80's make it even funnier if your from that generation.
  • March 16, 2013
    I can deal with the humor on 'Family Guy', and sometimes it's actually quite funny, but this directorial effort from Seth McFarlane was pretty painful. A few good jokes, but a whole lot of nonsense. I'm glad the rental was free.
  • March 2, 2013
    Supremely talented entertainer Seth MacFarlane decided to take a break from his animated shows such as Family Guy, American Dad! and The Cleveland Sow to try his hand at a feature film...and this is the result.

As a child, eight year-old John Bennett wished that his stuffed bear... read more Ted came to life. Well, it happened, and soon after, Ted became something of a celebrity for a while. Twenty-five years later, Ted is no longer a celebrity, but he and John are as inseparable as ever. He's no longer famous, but John's stuffed pal proves to be quite a companion, spending most of his time drinking, swearing, doing drugs, and just partying like there's no tomorrow.

This would all be well and good except for the fact that John hasn't really grown up, and his continued attachment is really putting a strain on his attempts to take his relationship with his beautiful girlfriend Lori to the next level. Despite their closeness, it just might be time that John and ted finally parted ways...something that proves easier said than done.

When i first heard about this film, I was a little apprehensive. I do love MacFarlane, and Family Guy is quite a show, but the more recent seasons have been going downhill, and I was worried that this film might suffer the same fate. I Started to change my mind, and decided to approach this with as little expectation for greatness as possible.

I'm happy to report that the film is quite a success, and is probably the funniest and easily the foulest to feature a stuffed bear as a main character. Seth MacFarlane is great as the voice and motion capture of Ted, and I loved how they even reference the fact that the character is basically Family Guy's Peter Griffin as a bear. As the adult John, Mark Wahlberg is tremendously funny, and shows a real knack for comedic timing. Mila Kunis is really good in the typically one-note role as the girlfriend who can't wait for things to get to the next level, and she too has a nice rapport with her plushy costar.

As one would expect from MacFarlane, there's a lot of collaborators from his animated works involved here, and this easily fits in the with rest of his work, but thankfully it avoids being a live action version of what he normally does. The film is funny, wild, dirty, and surprisingly quite touching, charming, and moving at times. It even gets fairly dramatic and creepy in places too.

Thankfully it all balances out nicely, and makes for a highly entertaining and inventive film. The visual effects are great, Walter Murphy's score is really good, and the pop culture references are pretty much nonstop, with special reverence paid to Flash Gordon and its star Sam J. Jones.

Aside from the three mains, the rest of the cast are decent too, with Joel McHale excelling at sleazy jerkery, and Giovanni Ribisi being the epitome of creepy yet funny as some big highlights.

If you're already a fan of MacFarlane's works, you probably enjoy this no problem. For everyone else, well, if you like the film's high concept ,and want a film that's quite raunchy, then you too just might have a good time. Here's to hoping MacFarlane cranks out some more features in the future.
  • February 21, 2013
    Seth MacFarlane does a good job at disguising Ted from what it really is.

Hidden beneath all the layers, the story for Ted really is a romantic comedy; however, the 100 minutes don't necessarily play out like one. The idea of a living teddy bear and the comedic w

... read moreriting of Seth MacFarlane cover and spruce it all up. Still, the story is too thin and is more fitted toward something much shorter.

The humor is in high abundance with laughs to be had. A lot of it is sexually oriented, which can get tiresome at times. As for the CG, Ted is excellent. He really does seem like a part of the cast.

Seth MacFarlane's voice works well with the foul-mouthed bear. The gorgeous Mila Kunis is an excellent watch. Mark Wahlberg may be the head character, but he is just along for the ride at this point.

Ted does have its moments, but the lack of meat in the story is a disappointment.

Critic Reviews

Ben Walters
July 31, 2012
Ben Walters, Time Out

Sure, MacFarlane, you can make us laugh, but it's time to grow up. Seriously. Full Review

Joe Morgenstern
June 30, 2012
Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

Everything goes on too long -- Ted's carousing, Lori's watchful waiting, John's wistful indecision. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
June 29, 2012
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

It's a goofy premise pursued with crass -- as well as sentimental -- relish. Full Review

Laremy Legel
June 29, 2012
Laremy Legel, Film.com

You'll feel the warmth and camaraderie of a Bostonian and his little sentient bear. Full Review

Bob Mondello
June 29, 2012
Bob Mondello, NPR

I tried to resist but couldn't. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
June 29, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

The idea of a toy that comes to life - and then won't go away - isn't a bad one. Too bad that "Ted" manages to overstay its welcome without ever really coming to life itself. Full Review

June 29, 2012
Globe and Mail

As unabashedly idiotic movie comedies go, Ted goes fairly well. Full Review

Tom Long
June 29, 2012
Tom Long, Detroit News

"Ted" is so lazy you want to kick the stuffing out of it. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
June 29, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

Underneath the matted fur of the movie's foul-mouthed bear beats a very real heart. Full Review

Joe Holleman
June 29, 2012
Joe Holleman, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The plot is simply a shaky frame on which to hang drug and sex jokes and numerous pop-culture references. Full Review

View more Ted reviews

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

Official Trailer

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Get Him to the Greek
    Get Him to the Greek (78%)
  • Superbad
    Superbad (78%)
  • Paul
    Paul (88%)
  • Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (100%)

Facts

• Ted: Why are you crying?
    • John Bennett: My dick is squished by the TV.
    • Narrator: Rex was forced to give up his pursuit of Lori. Not long afterwards, he fell into a deep depression and died of Lou Gehrig's disease.
    • Lori: Welcome back, Ted.
    • John Bennett: It was you. You did it.
    • Ted: Son of a bitch. You wished for my life back.
    • Lori: No. I wished for my life back.
    • Ted: Oh, come on. I don't sound really much like Peter Griffin.
    • Ted: Jesus! I look like the robot from Aliens.
    • John Bennett: I thank you for saving every one of us!

Ted : Watch Free on TV

Ted Trivia

• What was the name of Keanu Reeves' character in the Bill & Ted movies?  Answer »
  • Which three male actors played the three bachelors in the movie Three Men and a Baby?  Answer »
  • Which of the following films has become legendary for supposedly capturing a 'real' ghost in one of the scenes but has been dismissed by many as being merely a cardboard cut-out of Ted Danson?   Answer »
  • These two most bodacious dudes went on a Bogus Journey after having a most Excellent Adventure, both which were to make sure their band - Wyld Stallyns - was successful.  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Ted. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?