Sinister
Sinister (2012)

Sinister is a frightening new thriller from the producer of the Paranormal Activity films and the writer-director of The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Ethan Hawke plays a true crime novelist who discovers a box of mysterious, disturbing home… More

Directed By:
Rated: R
Running Time:
Genre: Horror
Release Date: February 19, 2013
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
63%
Flixster
User Score
61%

Critic Score: 63% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Its plot hinges on typically implausible horror-movie behavior and recycles countless genre cliches, but Sinister delivers a surprising number of fresh, diabolical twists.

Peter Howell
Toronto Star

More stupid than scary, Sinister can't even figure out who its real demon is.

Full review…
Rafer Guzman
Newsday

Despite some effective bumps and frights, and at least one memorable jolt from a full-throated D'Addario, "Sinister" is mainly just a series of snuff-reels with sick-joke titles ...

Full review…
Felix Vasquez Jr.
Cinema Crazed

In its own right, it's atmospheric, just not very memorable or scary.

Full review…
Kevin C. Johnson
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

It comes together with a gruesome though excellent ending that some will find difficult to shake.

Full review…
Sara Stewart
New York Post

C'mon, Ethan Hawke, you're better than this. Isn't there a "Before Sunset" sequel that needs your attention?

Full review…
Matthew Pejkovic
Matt's Movie Reviews

One of the more authentically scary horror thrillers to haunt the screen in some time, a product of smart filmmaking, intriguing premise and a great lead performance from Ethan Hawke.

Full review…
Liam Lacey
Globe and Mail

A mixed bag of old-school and contemporary horror tricks that occasionally raises a hair prickle of intrigue.

Full review…
Michael O'Sullivan
Washington Post

The hero of "Sinister" is almost unaccountably dumb. So, unfortunately, is the movie.

Full review…
Jim Schembri
3AW

Highly effective, tense little fright rouser... If you're a horror fan, you won't be disappointed.

Full review…
More reviews for Sinister

Flixster Audience Score: 61% Flixster User Reviews
Cynthia S.
It's been a long time since I can say that a horror flick instilled horror in me...but this one scared the beejeebers out of me. I was completely creeped… More
Pierluigi Puccini
The classical Stephen King-like setup of a writer in retreat working on a new novel, combined with "eyewitness procedurals" like Coppola's The… More
Lafe Fredbjornson
I was haunted by the ghostly snuff films; something about the scratchy old 8mm films and the satanic music which accompanies the images creeped me out. The… More
Film Crazy
Not the worst certainly not the best horror though! Sinister has its creepy moments but you are left unsatisfied towards the end!
Chris Weber
A washed up true crime writer and his family move into a new house where he begins work on a story that he hopes will resurrect his career. After finding a box… More
Dean !
A great horror film, one of the best I've seen in a long while, will make you jump more than once. It starts out as if it's going to be more of a… More