Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens, Julia Taylor Ross, Adam Barnett ... see more see more... , Haley Murphy

From the directors of the hit film Open Water, Silent House is a uniquely unsettling horror thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen as Sarah, a young woman who finds herself sealed inside her family's seclu... read more read more...ded lake house. With no contact to the outside world, and no way out, panic turns to terror to terror as events become increasingly ominous in and around the house. Directed by filmmaking duo Chris Kentis and Laura Lau, Silent House uses meticulous camera choreography to take the audience on a tension-filled, real time journey, experienced in a single uninterrupted shot. -- (C) Open Road

Flixster Users

30% liked it

41,752 ratings

Critics

41% liked it

125 critics

R, 1 hr. 28 min.

Directed by: Chris Kentis, Laura Lau

Release Date: March 9, 2012

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: July 24, 2012

Stats: 1,995 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (1,995)

• fb733768972
    June 9, 2014
    fb733768972
    Elizabeth Olson is one of those very likeable young actresses who got her career started in the independent world of film, and is now working her way to the big screen in a huge way, starring in the sequel to the Avengers. In this film however, she seems to be trying very hard to... read more hold her performance together at times, seeing as the film is seamlessly cut to look like it has all been filmed in one take, and as amazing as that is to watch, the substance just really is not there. From a generic script to a generic and dumb plot twist, this film is nothing more than a throwaway that you can either choose to say you enjoyed or hated. The camerawork is definitely something to admire, but the film surrounding it is very very weak. Sadly, "Silent House" is not warranted a recommendation.
  • May 8, 2013
    two stars
  • February 26, 2013
    "Experience 88 Minutes Of Real Fear Captured In Real Time"

This is just one of those films that I can't really gather my thoughts on. One one hand, I love the idea; on the other hand, the execution isn't great. Silent House has a lot of promise. Elizabeth Olsen does a good job a... read mores the girl were following around for 88 minutes. The other actors, not so much. Also, I loved the way the film was shot. We're stuck following a girl around a house that is getting weirder as we go along. 

Sarah is helping her father and uncle pack up the old, family lakeside house. When her uncle leaves, only the father and daughter are left in the house. Then weird things begin happening. Sarah thinks she hears something up stairs, father goes to check it all out. Everything is fine. Father goes missing. Daughter is being chased.... Yeah, so it's not very original. I can't honestly sit here and say that this film is anything groundbreaking in the horror genre. Still there's something about it that makes me like it more than I should.

Silent House has received a ton of slack and I can understand that. The film drags and is down right boring at times. At other times, it managed to keep me in suspense when we were going down hallways and through doors. I wouldn't ever label this as a "scary" movie, but it has its moments that were suspenseful. 

I won't lie, the film has its share of problems. For one it isn't atmospheric enough, and that's a vitally important element in a movie like this. Still, I really liked Elizabeth Olsen and the way the movie was shot altogether. I'm not sure whether or not I liked the movie as a whole or whether I was just able to put up with it enough. Still, I believe it's better than a lot of modern day horror films. Maybe that isn't saying a whole lot, but I still have some respect for this movie.
  • December 7, 2012
    Quite a strange film...to be honest though it might have sounded good on paper and the twists and finale probably sounded interesting enough. The main problem is if you watch many films like this you could probably figure it all out within the first 10 minutes, I did. So what cou... read moreld have been great ends up being quite predictable and it becomes a slow film, even at 80mins long to an obvious conclusion. The filming style was ok, not quite Rec or Blair witch, but hand held and up close do add to the atmosphere of the film. A missed opportunity as there seem to be a lot of similar style films out at present. On the plus side Elizabeth Olsen does keep your attention, for male viewers anyway.
  • November 19, 2012
    Pretty crappy acting by all. 2 stars
  • October 16, 2012
    Silent House is an uninteresting haunted house tale with a trashy ending that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. The production does have the distinction of appearing to be shot in real time using one long continuous take. Honestly I wouldn't have even realized this if it hadn't ... read morebeen pointed out to me. It gives the cinematography a novelty factor, sure, but it certainly doesn't make the story better. Elizabeth Olsen is an actress to watch. She is engaging in the part and the sole reason this hokum has any merit. Because of her we do care for her character. The problem is she really isn't allowed to do much besides act frightened and scream. Otherwise this is one tedious crawl to a "surprise' conclusion that is lazy and clichéd. The only fear is that you might roll your eyes to death. Skip this.

fastfilmreviews.wordpress.com
  • fb100000145236770
    July 29, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    I am a big horror movie fan, so when I hear things like "fresh" and "new", I'm pretty amped to check it out. However, sometimes fresh and new really mean, "bad" and "not good". "Silent House" is from the directors of "Open Water" about a woman(Elizabeth Olsen") named Sarah who ... read moreis secluded in her family's lake house with a killer. The big thing about the movie is it was shot in real time, as one long uninterpreted shot(kind of like how the old show "24" was shot). While that gimmick works fine, you still need a good story and a reason to care about the characters to enjoy the movie. The movie is slow, and builds to a very predictable twist(if you don't predict it, then you need to watch more horror/suspense movies). Olsen is fine here, and she does her best to carry the movie, even though it's just not very good. Only 85 minutes long, but it feels a lot longer. I found myself losing interest pretty quick. It's okay for one watch if you really like horror/suspense movies, because there is worse out there. Just have low expectations, and maybe a backup movie handy.
  • July 25, 2012
    Was this movie really taken with one shot only? It really was scary to me because of that. Although the ending wasn't clear... although I could guess what really happened.
  • July 19, 2012
    Silent House is a decent horror flick that looked far better than what it turned out to be. Although an effective vehicle of chills, this is a pretty predictable film that ends up being not that impressive. This is the type of film that you think will be great, but manages to be ... read moreso-so once you've actually seen it. I thought that the previews looked great, but when I got around to seeing this, it really wasn't that well structured to really be a memorable, terrifying and ultimately good horror. As a whole, this is a decent film, but leaves a lot to be desired. This is a remake of The Silent House (La casa muda), now I haven't seen the original, so AI can't compare, but this one was better than most remakes. However it could have been much better than what it turned out to be. The film has lots of opportunities to truly terrify the viewer, but somehow the potential is wasted here, and though entertaining, this film just doesn't deliver anything really remarkable. I felt that this could have been much better. Elizabeth Olson on the other hand was very good in her role, and made the film worth watching. Silent House is a decent film that had the potential of being something much better. This is an entertaining film, but don't expect anything really scary, as you won't find it here. This film has its moments, but you can see that there was potential in making this a better film, and unfortunately the filmmakers just didn't deliver on its concept. Worth seeing, but leaves you wanting more in a horror film. Silent House is a fun, entertaining ride that is predictable.
  • May 22, 2012
    Creative Commons
    Question: Did anyone read my review of Fright Night? Well, I FINALLY go see another horror film in the theatre, my first since the vampire remake, and you remember what happened to me at that showing, right? Anyway, I am currently pushing myself out of my comfo... read morert zone as a reviewer so I decide to see Silent House. And IT happened again. I was the ONLY one in the entire movie theatre. Seriously, what are the odds!?

To be honest there was one main reason why I chose to see a horror film after all this time: Elizabeth Olsen. I saw her performance over the summer in Martha Macy May Marlene, and when I saw the trailer for this film I thought it would be worth a viewing.

Another reason I broke down and saw a horror in the theatre, I read this was a remake of a film from Uruguay but there was one very interesting point about both films. They were one long continuous shot. I mean the entire film, 85 minutes, is shown in one camera shot with no interruptions. I am pretty sure I have never seen this type of filmmaking before for an entire movie. Perhaps for a video or long scene but never for a film. I did not see the Uruguan Spanish-language version (The Silent House/ La Casa Muda 2010).

Another interesting point: this story is allegedly based on real happenings from the 1940's. There is no proof for its validation apparently.

Basically there isn't much to tell when it comes to summarizing what happens in Silent House, and I really want to keep the story a mystery, of course. However, I will say I was pretty scared while watching most of the film, and being alone in the theatre while a huge and loud thunderstorm took place outside made it all the more intense. In fact, I thought the thunderstorm was happening in the movie at first. Why did I think that? There is a part in the film when she goes into the old, boarded-up and dilapidated house, locks the door and is in there for a long time without any electricity. That is exactly when the storm began. Only when there was a scene outside the house did I realize the thunderstorm was real. Again, what are the odds!?

Visually Silent House was very realistic. By the way the camera was held, and not still might I add, made you feel like you right there. Nearly the entire film the camera followed Sarah (Elizabeth Olsen's character) and her experience of what happens, with a lot of close-ups. At times it was disconcerting but it helped heighten the intense emotions she was experiencing (and raised my blood pressure). However if you have motion-sickness issues you might feel a little queasy at points especially during the times when she is running and the camera's viewpoint is extremely wobbly.

After watching the entire film and figuring out what really happens brought me through an array of emotions. First scared, then terrified, then a little nauseated, then full-on angered, and finally relieved with a "hell yeah!" sigh at the very end. No, I will not explain why but you will understand once you view the film.

Elizabeth Olsen was great in Silent House. Her acting ability looks effortless. She is just authentic. To stay in character, and one who had to portray a myriad of intense and unnerving emotions that never made the audience think she was acting, is a testament to how talented this young woman is. However, the others in the film weren't as convincing, in my opinion, and threw the film off a little bit.

My favorite part: Elizabeth Olsen.

My least favorite part: A revelation towards the end.

Directed by Chris Kentis & Laura Lau, Elle Driver, 2011.

Starring: Elizabeth Olsen, Adam Trese, Eric Sheffer Stevens and Julia Taylor Ross.

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller.

Length: 85 minutes

Rating: R

Review: 6 out of 10

Critic Reviews

Nigel Floyd
May 1, 2012
Nigel Floyd, Time Out

Filmmakers Chris Kentis and Laura Lau ('Open Water') should have plugged the original's plot holes and straightened out its logic. Full Review

Ian Buckwalter
March 9, 2012
Ian Buckwalter, The Atlantic

The camera's unblinking eye constantly stays with Olsen, and we feel in as much danger as she is. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
March 9, 2012
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

It's Olsen's performance that makes Sarah's plight matter. And the actress proves that her mesmerizing turn in last fall's Martha Marcy May Marlene -- about a woman on the lam from a cult -- wasn't a ... Full Review

Colin Covert
March 9, 2012
Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune

Silent House feels like a psychotic episode come to life. It's impressive and oppressive, and it very effectively gets on your nerves. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
March 9, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

[Olsen is] terrific at showing shifts of emotion just underneath the skin of her wide, china-doll face. Full Review

Peter Travers
March 9, 2012
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Paranormal Activity has been here before, of course, but Silent House springs tangy new tricks, and Olsen is a primo scream queen. Full Review

Rick Groen
March 9, 2012
Rick Groen, Globe and Mail

Olsen is compelling even when the film isn't. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
March 9, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

The creeping presence of horror-flick hokum not only robs the scares of their strength, it shatters the realism that the single-take format is trying to convey. Full Review

Kyle Smith
March 9, 2012
Kyle Smith, New York Post

Demonstrating the limits of being too clever in a genre movie, the art-house chiller "Silent House" lets the tenseness of its first act trickle away. Full Review

Michael O'Sullivan
March 9, 2012
Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post

A scary, yet thoughtful - some might even say deep - art-house frightfest. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Silent House
    The Silent House (100%)
  • The Strangers
    The Strangers (0%)
  • House at the End of the Street
    House at the End of the Street (100%)

Facts

• Sophia: Remember me?
    • Peter: Bite me.
    • John: Hey sweetie, I checked your Facebook page, what's his name wrote on your wall again.
    • Sophia: How long's it been since you were out here?
    • Sarah: It's been a long time.
    • Sarah: You're a loser!
    • Sarah: Daddy...what did they do to you?

Silent House : Watch Free on TV

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Silent House. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?