Safety Last!
Safety Last! (1923)

After Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, the silent film era's "third genius" was Harold Lloyd, who stars in this Horatio Alger-style story of an average country boy trying to make good in the big city. The Boy (Lloyd) leaves… More

Rated: Unrated
Running Time:
Release Date: June 18, 2013
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
96%
Flixster
User Score
93%

Critic Score: 96% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews
Variety Staff
Variety

This Harold Lloyd high-class low comedy has thrills as well as guffaws.

Full review…
Dave Kehr
Chicago Reader

The other great silent comics defined their own worlds; Lloyd lives dangerously in ours.

Full review…
James Kendrick
Q Network Film Desk

The climb has both comic and dramatic weight because it is both a thrilling exercise in physical humor and a thematically rich evocation of the pressures men feel to succeed, lest they be viewed as less than a man

Full review…
Geoff Andrew
Time Out

The clock-hanging climax that caps this generally charming tale of a country boy out to make his fortune in the big city is a superb example of his ability to mix suspense and slapstick.

Full review…
Eric Melin
Scene-Stealers.com

... a briskly paced thrill comedy with memorable gag after memorable gag, and a surprising dark streak.

Full review…
Cole Smithey
ColeSmithey.com

Of the great silent film comedians, Harold Lloyd stood apart from Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton by virtue of his everyman approach to physical comedy. He had to work at it and he let his difficulty show, but not entirely.

Full review…
Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times

The Glasses character in Safety Last would have blended with the background of the department store where he worked if it had not been for action imposed upon him. But what action!

Full review…
Christopher Long
Movie Metropolis

You'll believe a man can die.

Full review…
Jamie S. Rich
Oregonian

As a personality, Lloyd is a combination of silly and sweet, but his true star power comes from his daring athleticism.

Full review…
More reviews for Safety Last!

Flixster Audience Score: 93% Flixster User Reviews
Anthony Lawrie
Classic Harold Lloyd, in what is probably his best known film. I can't get enough of it!
Daniel Hetteix
Brilliant, perhaps the finest and most famous of the silent-era comedies. Technically amazing, and hilarious to boot.
Stella Dallas
harold lloyd is so cute :)
Walter M.
[font=Century Gothic][color=blue]I have seen plenty of silent comedies starring Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton before but I really do not think I had seen… More
Luke Baldock
Enjoyable slapstick comedy with a lot of inventiveness that still impresses. Simple shots such as the hiding on the coat hanger scene are still great to watch… More
Chris Browning
Being a big fan of both Chaplin and Keaton, this was my first experience with Harold Lloyd (thanks to The Criterion Collection's beautifully remastered… More