Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jason Statham, Catherine Chan, Robert John Burke, James Hong, Anson Mount ... see more see more... , Chris Sarandon , Sandor Tecsy , Joseph Sikora , Igor Jijikine , Reggie Lee , James Colby , Matt O'Toole , Jack Gwaltney , Barry D. Bradford , Jay Giannone , James Tolbert III , Danni Lang , Julian Marzal , Scott Nicholson , Kathy Ann Zhang , Byron Zheng , Lyman Chen , Howie Brown , Nicolas Marti Salgado , Danny Hoch , Suzanne Savoy , Daniel McCabe , John Wooten , Brian Anthony Wilson , Victor Pagan , Henry Kwan , Marvina Vinique , Jennifer Skyler , Kate Rogal , Tony Cheng , Dmitriy Kojevnikov , Oksana Lada , Al Kao , John Cenatiempo , Danny Shea , George G. Colucci , Matt Dellapina , Stephen Oyoung , Tim Carr , Daoud Heidami , Ben Sinclair , Oleg Ivanov , Zun Lin , Alexander W. Kogan, Jr. , Laurence Covington

A second-rate cage fighter on the mixed martial arts circuit, Luke Wright lives a numbing life of routine beatings and chump change...until the day he blows a rigged fight. Wanting to make an example ... read more read more...of him, the Russian Mafia murders his family and banishes him from his life forever, leaving Luke to wander the streets of New York destitute, haunted by guilt, and tormented by the knowledge that he will always be watched, and anyone he develops a relationship with will also be killed.

But when he witnesses a frightened twelve-year-old Chinese girl, Mei, being pursued by the same gangsters who killed his wife, Luke impulsively jumps to action...and straight into the heart of a deadly high-stakes war. -- (C) Lionsgate

Flixster Users

59% liked it

109,355 ratings

Critics

57% liked it

106 critics

R, 1 hr. 34 min.

Directed by: Boaz Yakin

Release Date: April 27, 2012

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: September 4, 2012

Stats: 2,756 reviews

Photos

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (2,756)

• June 13, 2014
    Safe had the potential of being a truly impressive piece of action cinema, instead it's an underwhelming mediocre movie that is formulaic and just doesn't deliver anything memorable or truly exciting. Statham is one of modern actions biggest stars, and he is talented at making fu... read moren, thrilling picture but like every other actor, he does have a few films that are not that great. Safe is one of them, and it's a film that never realizes its potential. The film runs at a very short run time, and it pack far too much, therefore the story tries to do a lot, but it never delivers because the filmmakers don't have a steady pace going in the film. What makes this such a lacking effort is the fact that it doesn't try to put emphasis on good storytelling with effective action. The result is a tiresome effort that simply doesn't stand out. As a whole, the film does have kinetic action, but, it just doesn't hold up compared to other films in the genre. Statham has made better films than this, and if you're expecting something good here, you won't find it. Safe tries to be far too ambitious, yet falters because it packs far too many unrealized ideas into a short period. The film could have been great, but if the length of the time would have been longer, the plot could have steadily build up and with the trilling action, would have made it a terrific film. In the end, the film just doesn't satisfy and it is a mediocre action film that leaves a lot to be desired.
  • May 14, 2014
    Safe is your typical Jason Statham movie but with steroids. If you have seen any of his newer films, then this movie will not surprise you. But like most of his films, Safe is a nice throwback to the heyday 80's action films. This film simply offers up a good time as we see Stath... read moream get involved with the Chinese and the Russians. The stunts are pretty good here as well as the cinematography since we see some cool shots of the action.

Boaz Yakin's film is about a former New York detective who protects a young Chinese girl from the fore-mentioned ethnic groups because she has something both sides want and they will go to war over this.

Jason Statham is Jason Statham in this film. He does nothing but kick butt and show people why he is not to be trifled with. He is getting better as an actor and is beginning to show some more emotional maturity.

Overall, this is a solid action film that while it delivers nothing new, it still delivers the goods. It has everything an action junkie could want from good choreography to corrupt policemen. Essentially, if you don't like Jason Statham you won't like this film. But, I believe this is a good action film. I rate this film 4 1/2 stars 3-04-14
  • December 19, 2012
    Boaz Yakin's Safe is anything but safe.

Sporting a run time just under 90 minutes and a frantic pace to go with it, Safe runs red lights and spills the blood to keep the thrills at a high level. The first 5 minutes is a tough swallow, as it employs erratic scene

... read moretransitions one after the other to reveal characters and locations. Fortunately, things calm down. Not calm as a vanishing hurricane, but more a hurricane being downgraded from a level 5 to a level 4. Spurts of nifty scene transitions and cinematography are still in the picture.

The action is a plenty with a high body count. It is a much welcome sight to make up for the mediocre storytelling.

Jason Statham is nothing new. He does what he does best and that is star in this type of movie. The rest of the cast is more or less forgettable.

Safe fits right in as another action thriller starring Jason Statham. Nothing more, nothing less.

• November 21, 2012
    "It's getting hard to decipher which action film is which when it comes to Jason Stathman. I mean, the man does well in these films and he's always entertaining. It's just he does so many of them. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it is his philosophy of action films.

The m... read moreovie is entertaining and has a decent plot. There is SO much killing. I'm getting use to it though with his movies. I wish I could say Jason brings something new to the movie, but he doesn't. Same stuff different story. Still though, I enjoyed it. Worth watching at least once."
  • November 2, 2012
    Taking a page from Mercury Rising, what we have here is the story of a tough guy with a troubled past who finds himself protecting a special kid with special skills wanted by dangerous criminals with bad intentions.

The specifics are as follows: Jason Statham is Luke, a former ... read moreelite cop turned second rate MMA cage fighter who happens to stumble upon Mei (newcomer Catherine Chan)- a young Chinese girl with an impeccable memory who has a series of numbers in her mind that's connected to shady deals between corrupt cops, the Triads, and Russian mobsters. Deals go bad, she goes on the run, and, having to be in the right place at the right time, gets saved by Luke who then spend s the rest of the movie trying to figure out the info the girl has, while protecting her, and trying to find some personal redemption.

Yeah, for a film that you would think is a straight-forward action thriller, there's a lot of plot here, tons of twists, and turns, and probably way too much going on. Thankfully it's not the most convoluted and impenetrable mess in the world, but maybe it didn't have to be quite as heavily plotted. Well, I guess it do show a sense of ambition and effort, so that's nice.

Statham delivers what he usually does, and that's fine. He's maybe a tad better here than with the second Crank movie, but not as good as he was in something like The Bank Job. He is pretty believable and likeable though, no surprise. Chan fares better than most child newcomers, though I can't really say if she'll have much of a career after this or not. Aside from all this, everyone else just comes off as routine, but that's fine. It is kinda nice seeing James Hong again, though.

BEsides lots of plot, there's also tons of action, and the film usually flips back and forth between the two often, but throughout there's also some character moments, but nothing outstanding. The fights and stunts are great though, and they do match with the rest of the film nicely.

Overall, this is a pretty enjoyable movie, and it's better than it has to be. It's not really that special, and I think the structure and plotting could have been re-worked, but at least it wasn't a total cookie cutter affair. This is one of those films where, despite the rating, I'm giving it a pass, because hey, it's fun, and actually rather competent.
  • October 28, 2012
    A pure adrenaline-charged action-packed thriller. A sensational and rip-roaring roller-coaster of excitement and mayhem that`s hard-boiled and hard-edged. A whip-smart, stylish, sharp and brutally intense film that is for sure one of the years best surprises. A non-stop, pulse-po... read moreunding, hold on to your seat thrill-ride that never lets up. A dazzling, heart-pounding and wickedly well-crafted action film. A great movie with a great story filled with explosive action, powerful drama and great surprises. Director, Boaz Yakin`s directional debut is slick, crafty and packed with energy that makes this movie worth while all the way to the end. Jason Statham gives a knockout performance, he packs lots of power, energy and surprising heart. Statham is truly at his best and you cant help but love him in this. Loaded with barrel's blazing gun battles and thrilling fight sequences to keep action junkies satisfied. An awesome instant classic. Rivals with films like The Professional and Man On Fire.
  • October 22, 2012
    Another fun action film with the awesome Jason Statham....It is well executed, and Statham is solid in it as always. They don't litter this film with too much complex plot, or even too much dialogue. It is a pretty straight forward action film that fans of Statham, and action gen... read morere films, will pretty much enjoy. Me included...
  • October 9, 2012
    "She has the code. He is the key."

Mei, a young girl whose memory holds a priceless numerical code, finds herself pursued by the Triads, the Russian mob, and corrupt NYC cops. Coming to her aid is an ex-cage fighter whose life was destroyed by the gangsters on Mei's trail... read more.

REVIEW

Mei (Catherine Chan), a genius level Chinese 11 year old, is brought to the USA to use her mathematical gifts to enhance the crooked businesses of "Uncle" Han, who subsequently tasks her with remembering a long number: a coded safe combination. Luke Wright (Jason Statham) is a cage fighter following leaving an elite NYPD special ops unit after betraying corrupt colleagues. When he wins a fight against expectations, the Russian mafia murder his wife in retaliation for their losses, and turn him into a wandering itinerant. And then he encounters Mei, running away while pursued by Uncle Han's men, the Russian mafia, and the corrupt police. Jason Statham is not one for betraying your expectations, and he does not do so here. The story is satisfactory, there is a mountain of violence (none of it desperately graphic), and a lot of action, a couple of decent lines, Statham's bad US accent, stubble, undeniable screen presence, and occasional flashes of his somewhat disconcerting smile, and a decent, if necessarily one note performance from Miss Chan. I enjoyed this rather more than Statham's last couple of movies.
  • fb100000145236770
    October 7, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    I love Jason Statham action movies. He's like today's version of what Sylvester Stallone or Bruce Willis was doing in the 80's/90's. "Safe" sits perfect next to other greats like the "Transporter" and "Crank" series. He plays a circuit MMA fighter with bad luck who blows a rig... read moreged fight and gets in trouble with the Russian Mob. Thinking of killing himself he sees a small Asian girl who is being chased onto a subway. He then decides to try to save her. Turns out she is a girl used by the Chinese mafia because she is a child prodigy with numbers, and she is their human computer. As they run from the mob, there are numerous twists and turns, and tons of fantastic action. Statham is a perfect action movie, as they aren't usually just dumb movies. This has a very good story, and good performances. Need a shot of adrenaline? Then watch this, because it will get ya going.
  • September 23, 2012
    A bit above the normal standard for Statham's last few action films, which are all a bit the same. This has a good high tempo of action and filmed in away you feel right in the midst of the action. Overall better than expected.

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddleston
May 1, 2012
Tom Huddleston, Time Out

The occasional efficient action sequence means that 'Safe' never gets truly dull, but even Statham aficionados might feel short- changed by this one. Full Review

Ian Buckwalter
April 30, 2012
Ian Buckwalter, The Atlantic

The thoroughly mediocre Safe provides little more than an excuse for Statham to do what Statham does better than anyone else: look stern while punishing bad guys. That's just not enough. Full Review

Tom Russo
April 28, 2012
Tom Russo, Boston Globe

It's like another "Transporter'' installment trying to be something slightly more - and not quite delivering the goods. Full Review

Stephen Dalton
April 27, 2012
Stephen Dalton, Hollywood Reporter

Despite some impressively gritty street-level action, Safe plays it far too safe. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
April 27, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

Yeah, "Safe" is a long way from perfect. But rented, in a few months, it'll go great with a six-pack and a hold-the-anchovies special. Full Review

Sam Adams
April 27, 2012
Sam Adams, AV Club

It's hard to swallow Statham, who spent the Crank movies supercharging his last minutes of life, as a suicidal sad-sack, just as it's painful to see him yoked to a cute little girl in an obvious attem... Full Review

Rick Groen
April 27, 2012
Rick Groen, Globe and Mail

The plot first strains and then assassinates credulity, while Yakin's handling of the action/mayhem runs the gamut from the merely dull to what-the-hell's-going-on. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
April 27, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

This whip-smart, brutally funny and gleefully nasty film is one of the year's best surprises. Full Review

Farran Smith Nehme
April 27, 2012
Farran Smith Nehme, New York Post

There are zero surprises, but it looks good, moves well through a trim running time and wields its clichés with defiant aplomb. Full Review

William Goss
April 27, 2012
William Goss, Film.com

Barrels through cliché after cliché and hurdles from borough to borough with a welcome abandon for logic, morality, and mortality alike. Full Review

View more Safe reviews

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Transporter
    The Transporter (50%)
  • Mercury Rising
    Mercury Rising (100%)
  • The Bank Job
    The Bank Job (0%)
  • Killer Elite
    Killer Elite (0%)

Facts

• Mei: Meow, meow, meow.
    • Luke Wright: Been in restaurants all night... All I got served was lead.
    • Quan Chang: I want the girl dead or alive! Bring her to me or your head comes off!
    • Luke Wright: I'll have a white russian... and a fork.
    • Alex Rosen: You've got balls.
    • Luke Wright: Surprising I can even walk...
    • Mei: I've sen him fight. Bad business for you.

Safe : Watch Free on TV

Safe Trivia

• "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..." was a tagline for what film?  Answer »
  • finish this quote: "She's safe, just like I ______. And she's set to marry Norrington, just like she ______. And you get to die for her, just like you ______. So we're all men of our word, really. Except for Elizabeth, who is, in fact, a woman."  Answer »
  • In which film does it have the tagline " Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water"  Answer »
  • What movie is this quote from "Keep it secret, keep it safe"?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Safe. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?