Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta-Jones ... see more see more... , Malin Akerman , Mary J. Blige , Alec Baldwin , Tom Cruise , Bryan Cranston , Will Forte , Eli Roth , Dakota Sage Grant , Matt Sullivan , Erica Frene , Michael Olusczak , Anthony Bellissimo , Alan Shane Hartline , James Martin Kelly , Celina Beach , Angelo Donato Valderrama , Dan Finnerty , Kevin Nash , Jeff Chase , Chantel Gonsalves , Tyne Stecklein , Hanna-Lee Sakakibara , Jamie Goodwin , Anne Fletcher , Denise Faye , Mariann Nelson , Porcelain Black , C. J. Tywoniak , Maxwell F. Terlecki , Robert Reef , Marcus Johns , Vivi Pineda , Aniela McGuinness , Elvire Emanuelle , David Gene Gibbs , Brev Sullivan , Daniel Wills , Prince Shah , Benjamin Malone , Arielle Reitsma , Anya Garnis , Barry Habib , Constantine Maroulis , Heather Leigh Davis , Josh Randall , Jack Mountford , Elgin Kos Aponte , Veronica Berry , Karelix Alicea , T.J. Miller , Nuno Bettencourt , Joel Hoekstra , Debbie Gibson , Sebastian Bach , Kevin Cronin , Misterwill , Jack Desroches , Choice Gray , Sophie Cook

Rock of Ages tells the story of small town girl Sherrie and city boy Drew, who meet on the Sunset Strip while pursuing their Hollywood dreams. Their rock 'n' roll romance is told through the heart-pou... read more read more...nding hits of Def Leppard, Joan Jett, Journey, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Whitesnake and more. -- (C) Warner Bros

Flixster Users

54% liked it

206,918 ratings

Critics

41% liked it

213 critics

DVD Release Date: October 9, 2012

Stats: 6,002 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (6,002)

• October 6, 2013
    Musical about a country girl wanting to make it big in Hollywood. It's a bit like Coyote Ugly. Good cast and music. Tom Cruise is an aged rocker off his head! Catherine Zeta-Jones is a repressed stepford wife! Hilarious!
  • August 22, 2013
    Adam Shankman's choice of music in Rock of Ages brings the noise, but not much else.

The story is predictable and the plot details are weak. It is a surprise that there is enough material to push this film to nearly 2 hours; then again, the musical pieces will help

... read morewith that. A good portion of the story comes across as odd, and while that may have some entertainment value in itself, it isn't a film saver.

The song selection is solid, and there are a lot of musical numbers. In fact, there may be too many, almost as if there is more time spent singing than anything else. Mary J. Blige takes the crown for singing. Everyone else gets by.

Tom Cruise is an absolute show stealer, and while Diego Boneta and the stunning Julianne Hough are the heart of the story, they are inferior when compared to the power of Cruise.

Rock of Ages is watchable; however, not watching it is also an option.

• April 5, 2013
    Rock of Ages was a complete silly, fun, good time. I had no intentions of seeing the movie. I probably never would have if it wasn't for my niece. This movie was her pick for the night. She loves musicals and plays. I on the other hand don't care for musicals. I try to avo... read moreid them. I've only watched three being Mama Mia, Dream Girls, and Grease. So going into this movie I knew very little. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. If not for the music and over the top acting I probably would have never sat through the whole thing. I know the movie has gotten pretty bad reviews, but I took the movie for what it was. Silly. I mean you can't take this movie serious when you see Tom Cruise in a thong with his package being covered with a crystal devil that has a long red tongue. photo tom_zpse20c79f4.gif Seriously! Who was the genius who thought that up? I kinda threw up in my mouth at that part. But I have to admit, he did a pretty good job in this movie. Him and Malin were hilarious together. I also about died when Brand and Baldwin started singing 'I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore'.  photo brand_zps915007c6.gif I was in hysterics. I was completely impressed with Diego Boneta. The boy can sing. I thought him and Julianne Hough did a great job. The talent in undeniable and the singing was awesome by most. This probably has one the best soundtracks a movie can have. I am HUGE 80's fan. I think those who don't care for musicals might like this one. It is tolerable and funny. It is a film that doesn't take itself too serious and actually pokes fun at itself. I also enjoyed seeing some of the greats from the 80's era when they were all rocking out to "We Built This City'. It was cool to see them be able to be apart of the movie. I will definitely be seeing this again.
  • April 5, 2013
    Today marks the passing of my favorite film critic Roger Ebert. Not only were we very simpatico in our tastes, but I always found his commentary (and blogs) to be a joy to read. Put simply, the man had a way with words. Before going on to the review I'd like to share a little ... read moreanecdote: I was introduced to Roger Ebert through the tv show "At The Movies" with fellow critic Gene Siskel. I found it fascinating how these two could find totally different things to like or dislike about the same film; and I discovered at that time that Roger's view of the idiom echoed my own.

Born and raised in San Francisco I always tuned in to "the little man" and read Joel Selvin's film reviews, even though I often disagreed. After my introduction to the small screen Ebert, I began searching for his written reviews, which I not only found to be more tasty than Selvin's (sorry Joel), but his negative commentary to be less snarky, and more subtle. It then became alchemy - for I knew that if Roger liked a film and Selvin hated it - well, that pretty much guaranteed an enjoyable cinematic experience for me (and yes, they frequently were polar opposites in their reviews).

So now I bid farewell to Roger. I loved your writing style and your eye into film. I don't know who I can trust now... I guess I'll have to continue to read Selvin and, as usual, go contrary to his recommendations. Roger, you will be missed.

Now, on to the review, which I will attempt to flesh out more than usual, in respect for Roger. Sadly the film up for review is Rock of Ages, a Glee/Smash musical with a thin story line wrapped up in 80's rock music anthems.

The story seems so incredibly trite - the typical Oklahoma girl leaves middle America for the bright lights and (hopefully) stardom of LA. Once there, she meets a boy, and gets a job waiting tables in a rock club (The Bourbon Room, a silly reference to the Whiskey A Go-Go). They fall in love, go through the usual misunderstanding that causes a breakup, only to find each other and reconcile by film's end. Sounds familiar, yes?

Of course the schtick of the film is that it is couched within the world of sex, drugs, and rock and roll. This allows for some huge musical production numbers with singers and dancers - all very Smash like - and if you like that kind of thing (which, to a point, I do), you could do worse. I'm not going to comment too much on the film production and direction, which is intentionally (I hope) over the top, like watching a series of early MTV music videos, but will focus instead on the musical production (something I believe to be qualified to do).

The sound is punchy and clean and very well produced, and the vocal talents will surprise you. Unlike Smash, where you can be impressed by the vocal chops but wonder where the "soul" is, here, with the exception of Julianne Hough as Sherrie, the Oklahoma refugee, you get performances that are more grit than glam. It's not that Hough cannot sing, for she shows great range, but that her styling is a bit too "broadway" and while she harmonizes well, her voice is a bit "thin" and "nasal" for a lead singer. Just compare her voice to Mary Blige when the two do a duet - one is truly a lead singer, the other.... Well you get the picture.

Also prominently featured, both as actor and singer, is Tom Cruise as the rock god Stacee Jaxx. Cruise is a marvel here, bare chested, scotch swilling, the embodiment of the SD&RR mantra. Not only is he totally believable as this bigger than life character (and who else has the charisma to pull this off?), but his vocal chops are surprisingly strong. When he decides to dig into a phrase it comes across like he really means it - I just loved his rendition of Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive".

There are other side attractions that raise this endeavor from stinkyville; including the always irreverent Russell Brand as the Bourbon Room's assistant manager - offering rock bromides and often non-sequiter one liners. His interplay with his boss, club owner Alec Baldwin in a long haired wig, is solid and entertaining.

Well caste as well is Paul Giamatti as Cruise's slimy manager... of course with Giamatti's gift it's hard to think of a role where he would be miscast. Throw in Catherin Zeta-Jones in a quirky performance as the Mayor's wife; a religious nut job echoing Tipper Gore and here rants against "the devil music". Her take on "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" while executed well, is almost embarrassing for it's Borsch Belt over the top sensibility. As her husband, the Mayor, Brian Cranston is mostly wasted here, a character to move the plot along and nothing more.

I firmly believe that director Adam Shankman and writer Chris D'Arienzo knew what they were doing here, so tried to steer clear of the too obvious nature of the storyline and infuse it with enough wink, wink moments to entertain, if not completely satisfy. I got a serious belly laugh when Sherrie gets to meet her idol Cruise. She gushes "oh my god, you mean so much to me - when my hamster died, it was your music that helped get me through". If only there was more of that, and more Cruise as Jaxx, and less of the limpid boy meets girl love story that never really has merit other than a plot contrivance.

I've compared this film to watching an extended MTV video (as I sadly remember those glorious times wherein the film supposedly took place - where the videos were fresh and the idiom new) - as well as comparing it to Smash on the small screen. Truly though, this has the feel of an old time musical, like Oklahoma or South Pacific, where a thin story line allows the actors to break into song at the drop of a hat. Of course this isn't one of the aforementioned musicals, as the songs aren't original, or "broadwayesque". No, this is more kin to the somewhat obscure Turturo film "Romance and Cigarettes" - a spoof on the musical genre that used modern song. At least in the case of Rock of Ages, the songs were actually reproduced and sung by the actors, instead of the actors lip synching over the original versions of the famous songs.

It is said during the film (taking place in the late 80's) that rock is dead. Well, it's not dead yet, but like the rest of the music industry in this age of compressed MP3's and singles, it's on life support - the indie underground scene can't seem to get the kind of traction that the Seattle grunge scene got back in the early 90's, and when DJ's seem to garner the same star treatment that used to be reserved for gifted musicians... ah well - best to savor the memories of my time growing up during the true musical revolution that was the late 60's and 70's.
  • fb1019018362
    February 17, 2013
    fb1019018362
    awkward drama musical humor.
  • December 27, 2012
    Earlier this year, Rock of Ages came and quickly left the box-office, failing to make a splash with the American public despite a healthy enough run on Broadway and touring the country. The stage show is a jukebox musical set to the head-banging tunes of 1980s hair metal. Adam Sh... read moreankman, the director behind the bouncy and thoroughly entertaining 2007 Hairspray movie musical, was tasked with bringing Rock of Ages to the screen with the same finesse. Cherie (Julianne Hogue) a hopeful singer just off the bus from Oklahoma, meets up with Drew (Diego Boneta), a nice kid who gets her a job at The Bourbon Room, a rock club running afoul with the mayor (Bryan Cranston) and his moral crusading wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones). The club owners (Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand) are relying on fickle, burned-out, taciturn, and overall mysterious rock legend Stacy Jaxx (Tom Cruise) to save their club from financial ruin. Along the way, Cherie and Drew look for their big breaks, fall in love, get pulled apart, and reunite in time for one final sendoff to leave the audience tapping their toes.

Allow me to elucidate on my main problem with the rise in jukebox musicals: I find them to be, with rare exception, to be exceedingly lazy. The musical number is meant to advance the narrative and give insights into character and situation, just like any other aspect of plot. You'll find great original tunes that do this. When you're dealing with pop songs that the public is well familiar with, then your job becomes even harder, and I find many are just not up to the task. Too often jukebox musicals are designed to merely string together a pre-packaged and time-tested number of hit songs, utilizing the faintest of narrative threads to get from one song to the next. The appeal of jukebox musicals lies not with the story or characters but waiting for the next recognizable song and wondering how it will, poorly, fit into this new context. You'll notice that these jukebox musicals seem to have twice as many song numbers. They know their selling point, and more singing means less time spent developing characters and story. And so my impression of the jukebox musical is one of a cynical cash grab following the bare minimum of narratives to achieve the status of musical so it can be resold with low risk. I'm simplifying things in my ire, yes, but there's a definite reason that jukebox musicals have sprouted like mad in the past few years. They don't require as much work and the audience seems to hold them to a lesser standard. Much like the worst of Friedberg and Seltzer (Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans), it seems just recognizing the familiar has become the core draw of entertainment.

And this is one of the main problems with Rock of Ages. I've never seen the stage show, but my God for something that purports to live the rock and roll lifestyle, its certainly so tame and scrubbed clean of anything dangerous. This feels like your grandparents idea of what "modern" rock music is. After a cursory search online, I've found that the movie makes some significant changes to convert a story about rock and roll hedonism into sanitized family friendly fare (spoilers to follow, theatergoers): apparently in the stage version, Cherie and Jaxx had sex in the Broadway show, Jaxx remains a creep and flees the country on statutory rape charges, though before that he and Cherie share a lap dance/duet to "Rock Me Like a Hurricane," the family values crusader characters were new inventions, the Rolling Stone reporter (Malin Akerman, the best singer in the film) is considerably beefed up to provide Jaxx his happy ending, and they don't even use the song "Oh Cherie." I'm not a stickler for adaptation changes, but clearly it feels like rock of Ages had every edge carefully sanded down to reach out to the widest array of mainstream filmgoers (Shankman says he cut Cherie's lap dance number because it tested poorly with mothers). The funny part is that the movie lambastes a slimy manager for playing to demo numbers, shooting for pandering mass appeal rather than the art, man. Feel the hypocrisy.

The first hour of Rock of Ages is mildly passable mostly because of the goofy supporting cast, but then the movie just keeps going, getting more and more tedious with every protracted minute. The second half involves Cherie and Drew apart and finding new lows; for him it's selling his soul to join be in a boy band, and for her it's selling herself, working as a stripper. Let's look back at that sentence. One of those life choices is not nearly as possibly upsetting as the other. Nothing against the hard-working strippers in this country, but Cherie taking to the pole is definitely more of a moral compromise for the character than whatever the hell Drew endures. It's this leaden second hour that made me lose faith that Rock of Ages would even provide a morsel of cheesy entertainment. It has the misfortune of two of the blandest leads I've ever seen in a musical. Hogue (Footloose) and Boneta (Mean Girls 2) are both physically blessed specimens of human genetics, but oh are these kids boring boring boring. Their love story is completely malnourished and you couldn't scrape together one interesting thing about them combined. The fact that Rock of Ages further strips away any interesting personality from Cherie (see above) makes them even more disastrously boring. To be stuck with these two more another hour of vapid griping, only to magically get back together, is interminable. Thank God they pumped up the side characters because that is the only time when Rock of Ages even challenges for your attention. Cruise isn't the best singer but he's pretty good belting out 80s rock hits, and the man has his natural charisma and stage presence to spare.

So I guess where Rock of Ages goes wrong, and where Les Miserables succeeds, is thinking of how best to translate the experience of the stage to the medium of film. Shankman does a pitiful job staging his musical numbers, with lackluster choreography that rarely takes advantage of the sets and characters. Worse, Shankman feels like he strays from the tone and angle of the stage show, sanitizing the rock and roll lifestyle and looking for ways to squeeze in bland happy endings. In other words, he doesn't capture enough of the essence of the original stage show to please neophytes and fans of the Broadway show. With Les Miserables, I think most fans of the stage show, and they are legion, will walk away feeling satisfied with the results, content that real artists treated the long-running musical with justice. Hooper opens up the world of the stage show, utilizing the parameters of film, and the emphasis on performance over singing mechanics maximizes the unique power of film. Les Miserables is a grand movie musical smartly adapted to the opportunities of film. Rock of Ages is a sloppy, neutered, criminally boring mess poorly developed and poorly translated to the silver screen. Let this be an educational resource for future generations. Take note, producers, and learn from the mistakes of Rock of Ages and the accomplishments of Les Miserables.

Nate's Grade: C-
  • fb100000145236770
    December 1, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    I'm not a big fan of musicals. There's really only one musical that I really love and that's "Across the Universe". I liked "Rock of Ages", but it's not something I will probably ever want to watch again. It's about a boy and girl in search of their musical dreams set in L.A. ... read moreduring the 80's. The meet at a famous club called the Bourbon Room which is hosting a big concert by Stacee Jaxx(Tom Cruise) who is your typical 80's rocker all drugged out. Yes the story is plain and cliche, but the main reason to see this is the music and fantastic cast. The music is all 80's hair band and rock music(performed by the actors of course). Journey, Bon Jovi, Poison, Night Ranger, Twisted Sister, all of them get a song or two in, and it's hard not to sing along. Now, the movie is cheesy and all the performances are corny as hell. But this cast is crazy. Paul Giamatti, Alec Baldwin, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman,Mary J. Blige, and a great Tom Cruise. This is a fun flick, that's worth a watch, it's just not something you will need to see more than once, probably.
  • November 24, 2012
    Rock of Ages, end for me.

Full review at themoviefreakblog.com on 11/20
  • October 13, 2012
    Nothin but a good time.

Rocking Fun Movie, Loved it!!! Take Spinal Tap, Mamma Mia and Almost Famous, wrap them all together and play it with a face as straight as a razor, and you have Rock Of Ages. The movie is worth your time; if only for the breath of fresh air that it provid... read morees, and of course, that priceless Ga-Ga-puppy-eyed-look of Julianne Hough when up close and personal with Tom Cruise's Stacee Jaxx. That was money all by itself. Tom Cruise was excellent as rock-god; Julianne Hough did a believable sweet & innocent-small-town-girl-in-love. Alec Baldwin's character did slightly weird me out, in a funny way. For those who expected something serious, when Tom Cruise literally sang into the butt of a woman, that should have been a giveaway that this movie shouldn't be taken seriously. I think the problem most people have is that it's all played with such a straight face that it's not obvious this is a comedy. It also helps if you are familiar with the music, even better if you grew up with the music. The rock music from the eighties in this movie really took me back to my youth...but here is a warning: Do not watch this movie through TV sound,it has to be enjoyed on a good sound system cranked right up,just the way eighties rock was meant to be played! As for the content of the movie,it's just a simple story not complex so it lets you concentrate more on the music rather than keeping up with the story. Go watch it!!!

Set in 1987 Los Angeles, Drew and Sherrie are two young people chasing their dreams in the big city. When they meet, it's love at first sight, though their romance will face a series of challenges.
  • October 3, 2012
    First of all, the plot seems to be similar like High School Musical in adult version.
    I felt like I'm watching some kind of spoof movie but it wasn't.
    And Tom Cruise... seriously?
    Three stars for the songs.

Critic Reviews

Anthony Lane
June 19, 2012
Anthony Lane, New Yorker

Rock of Ages is not a spoof, but it might as well be, given how little there is to root for. Full Review

Glenn Kenny
June 16, 2012
Glenn Kenny, MSN Movies

...a cinematic endeavor that, for all intents and purposes, is asking the consumer to put down his or her money to watch movie stars do karaoke. Full Review

Laremy Legel
June 16, 2012
Laremy Legel, Film.com

Cruise, as Stacee Jaxx, is the living embodiment of a rock god. Full Review

Richard Roeper
June 15, 2012
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

Every time an actor belts out a hit, you're reminded that the original, however cheesy, was better. Full Review

Christopher Orr
June 15, 2012
Christopher Orr, The Atlantic

The movie's supporting stars are always, inevitably, winking at the audience, but it's unclear whether the dewy-eyed leads even know how to blink. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
June 15, 2012
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

Pour some sugar on it, indeed. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
June 15, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

The film's problems begin with who it cast as its leads. Full Review

Liam Lacey
June 15, 2012
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

Far too mild for its supposedly outrageous subject. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
June 15, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

Cruise once again steals the show, but this time he drives it straight off a cliff. Full Review

Tom Long
June 15, 2012
Tom Long, Detroit News

For the most part, rock and roll should feel insulted. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Rocker
    The Rocker (67%)
  • Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (43%)
  • Airheads
    Airheads (67%)
  • Get Him to the Greek
    Get Him to the Greek (56%)

Facts

• Lonny: Sniff the mic! Whoo!
    • Lonny: Look at him now. Married to a woman who looks like she's been hibernating in Margaret Thatcher's bunghole.
    • Stacee Jaxx: I'm a slave to rock n roll.
    • Stacee Jaxx: I AM on stage, Paul.
    • Stacee Jaxx: Open your mouth...
    • Stacee Jaxx: I'm gonna burn this place to the ground.
    • Dennis Dupree: Why?
    • Stacee Jaxx: So the Fire Phoenix can be set free.
    • Dennis Dupree: ...
    • Stacee Jaxx: I'm just kidding... you can't trap a Fire Phoenix.

Rock of Ages : Watch Free on TV

Rock of Ages Trivia

• Who stars in Rock of ages?  Answer »
  • Who stars in Rock Of Ages?  Answer »
  • What is the opening song in 'Rock of Ages'?  Answer »
  • What is the name of Stacee Jax's band in 'Rock of Ages'?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Rock of Ages. Want to create one?

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?