Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Dakota Fanning, Djimon Hounsou, Chris Evans, Camilla Belle, Cliff Curtis ... see more see more... , Joel Gretsch , Maggie Siff , Nate Mooney , Neil Jackson

Lucky Number Slevin director Paul McGuigan takes the helm for this action thriller concerning a group of telekinetic American ex-patriots who band together in an attempt to take down the clandestine g... read more read more...overnment agency that's genetically transforming normal citizens into powerful psychic warriors. The Division is a shadowy government operation devoted to making humankind the ultimate weapon. Those who accept this transformation have the power to move objects with the mind, see the future before it happens, create new realities, and dispense of their enemies without so much as a single touch; those who are unwilling to participate are immediately terminated. Nick Gant (Chris Evans) is a "mover," a second-generation telekinetic who went into hiding after the Division killed his father more than a decade earlier. He lives a life of anonymity in Hong Kong, a densely populated place where fugitive psychics such as himself are safe as long as they can keep their unique gift secret. Suddenly into Nick's life comes 13-year-old "watcher" Cassie Holmes (Dakota Fanning), a clairvoyant who needs his help in tracking down escaped "pusher" Kira, who may hold the key to bringing down the Division once and for all. A "pusher" is the most powerful kind of psychic due to his or her ability to influence the actions of others by planting thoughts in their minds. Now, as Nick emerges from hiding in order to help Cassie find Kira, the Division's human bloodhounds are hot on their trail. In order to elude the authorities, they'll need to disappear into the seedy underbelly of the city while relying on a team of rogue psychics to help cover their tracks. But Division Agent Henry Carver (Djimon Hounsou) is a powerful pusher who has made it his mission to stop them at all costs, regardless of the collateral damages that may occur in the process. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Flixster Users

42% liked it

2,024,685 ratings

Critics

23% liked it

127 critics

DVD Release Date: July 7, 2009

Stats: 31,214 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (31,214)

• July 21, 2009
    You know I really didnt hate this movie or really like it. I think my daughter liked it more when she came in and out of the room watching bits and pieces. Overall I was not disappointed since i did not go in with much.
  • April 14, 2014
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img]
  • July 24, 2013
    Nothing special, the directing style kinda make the story a little confusing to be consumed..
  • August 22, 2012
    Young people with magic powers avoid gloomy (dastardly?) secret government types in Hong Kong. Not bad, and the big Asian town provides a needed break from the usual, but plot contortions aplenty and that maddening, supposed-to-be-cool-MTV-video-sh-sh-shaky-camera work undercuts... read more the work for the worst. And how is it that nobody with magic powers in all these "I wish I had magic powers wish fulfillment movies" enjoys the use of it???
  • September 30, 2011
    Push would've been better if it had just been more interesting and fun. The story was boring and all it was is the director trying to make a big film franchise but it just didn't do it for me. The cast wasn't bad, I enjoyed the villains and Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning, no bi... read moreg complaints there. The special effects were pretty cool too, you could tell thats all they cared about though, action and dazzle. Push is a boring but well acted movie with some okay action and cool effects, but the story was just such a failure I cannot give it anything over 2 stars, but if you want a big razzle dazzle action film, be my guest and watch this.
  • September 15, 2011
    Thanks to its marketing, Push is somewhat of a mislead; however Paul McGuigan offers up enough to make it a watchable motion picture.

Pushing its way to roughly 110 minutes, the film treads on by slower than anticipated. This ends up more as a positive rather than a neg

... read moreative because the film takes its time to unfold the story, thus adding more meat around a plot which is more simplistic than it sounds. The second half does hold some mystery as things get elaborate.

With more emphasis on story the action is held in check, at least when compared to the film as a whole. The pieces that exist, with the potential to be taken further, are satisfying enough thanks to the story's paranormal concept.

Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning put on some good performances as the leads. The rest of the supporting cast don't stand out as much, aside from some screaming Asians which, more than anything, come across as weird.

Push is far from an excellent movie, but as average to good movies go, this fits in nicely.

• September 4, 2011
    PUSH is a confusing sci-fi/action film. Besides that fact, it's hard to watch, overly dull, and quite unintentionally hilarious. A tedious one to watch.
  • August 16, 2011
    The choice of location for this fantastic action adventure is wonderfully unusual. Hongkong makes for a exotic change from the regular US based superhero film. The idea of people with powers being chased and misunderstood is far from new, the ordering them in categories seems kin... read mored of off. But the film's atmosphere feels closer to European films like Luc Besson's Transporter movies than the average superhero adventure. That's a nice change. The characters are interesting enough, Dakota Fanning proves that she'll remain excellent even as she leaves her childhood behind. While there isn't all that much action in the first half, the effects of the powers are well done and fun to behold, the showdown is even pretty awesome. More importantly it's also far from dumb. While some dialogs feel a bit arbitrary and the editing is off at times, the movie still entertains and feels fresher than its single parts actually are. Calling it a mix of Lost in Translation and X-Men would go too far, but it's much better than Jumper.
  • May 9, 2011
    This would have been 0% had it not been for Djimon Hounsou, one of my favorite actors. Typical of a Summit Productions movie, this flat out sucked. The acting was horrible, the effects were ridiculous and there were enough plot holes to make a cinematic swiss cheese.

Let's sta... read morert with the only good part of the movie, which the director turned into a bad part. Djimon Hounsou. Playing a villain. Are you insane Paul McGuigan?! Here you have one of the best, most likeable actors, who has never played a villain in his life, playing a villain. Needless to say, he did a good job, but how are we suppoused to root against him? I actually found myself angry when he was killed at the end.

But even making Hounsou a villain was not the worst decision the director made. That would be hiring Chris Evans to play the hero. Evans is one of the members in my great pantheon of horrible actors, sharing his throne with the likes of Zac Efron, Channing Tatum, Matthew Broderick and Brian Thompson. (He got lucky with Terminator and Freddy vs Jason) The guy is either horrendously overacting, showing no acting emotion, or trying to be funny and failing. But I guess there's no need to have any good acting qualities when you're playing a shallow and uninteresting character like Nick, a superhuman whose parents were killed and know wants revenge, but needs to control his powers (CLICHE, CLICHE, CLICHE!!!)

Cammilla Bell was just as bad. She never showed ANY emotion! She hardly smiled! She had me wanting the whole gang (Yes, Fanning included) to get killed at the end.

And then there are the plot holes. At one scene, Nick says "What if nothing we did make sense. Would that throw them off?" That line is unintentionally hillarious. Why? Because nothing they do makes sense! One minute, the main character can barely spin a dice. The next, he is throwing chairs at people. One minute, two characters hate each other. The next, they're making out.

Throw in some crappy directing and heinous special affects, and you've got one of the worst superhero films ever. Ick.
  • January 24, 2011
    I did liked the movie but it wasn't well done. Didn't expected much from it though.

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddlestone
February 19, 2009
Tom Huddlestone, Time Out

Silliness rules the day: plot holes abound and are plugged with techno-pounding action sequences and more nonsensical guff. As a TV pilot, this might have worked; as a film, it's loud, confusing and i... Full Review

Hank Sartin
February 11, 2009
Hank Sartin, Time Out New York

Paul McGuigan's jittery editing and shaky cameras make the action confusing rather than thrilling, and nothing can save this movie from the screenplay's nearly incomprehensible twists. Full Review

Christopher Orr
February 6, 2009
Christopher Orr, The New Republic

Belle... is blank as a page, and the intended romantic chemistry between her and Evans is never in evidence. Full Review

Roger Ebert
February 6, 2009
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Push has vibrant cinematography and decent acting, but I'm blasted if I know what it's about. Full Review

Mick LaSalle
February 6, 2009
Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

There are many problems with Push, and most are the usual boring things: unnecessary plot loops; long, dumb musical interludes; a charmless script; and ostentatious action sequences in which the only ... Full Review

Claudia Puig
February 6, 2009
Claudia Puig, USA Today

A silly movie that is partially engrossing and plenty convoluted. Full Review

Kyle Smith
February 6, 2009
Kyle Smith, New York Post

A grubby cut-price sci-fi thriller. Full Review

Joe Neumaier
February 6, 2009
Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News

Just as it's getting impossible to tell the superpowered humans without a scorecard, along comes Push to muddy the waters. Full Review

Colin Covert
February 6, 2009
Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune

It should give us the willies, but it's willy-nilly. Full Review

Glenn Whipp
February 6, 2009
Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Times

By the time the credits roll, your most fervent wish is to run into a 'wiper' (one who can erase memories). Full Review

View more Push reviews

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Jumper
    Jumper (94%)
  • Hancock
    Hancock (87%)
  • Wanted
    Wanted (80%)
  • X-Men: First Class
    X-Men: First Class (88%)

Facts

• Carver: With her we are going to create an army the world's never seen before.
    • Nick: How long do you think your mom's been planning this?
    • Cassie: Probably since before I was born.

Push : Watch Free on TV

Push Trivia

• What movie is this from? "Careful, Jane. I can push the button any time I like." "Baby, you couldn't find the button with both hands and a map."   Answer »
  • In the movie "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", Jones had to push on something in order to reveal a secret passage leading to the catacombs of a Kali ceremony led by Mola Ram. What was the thing he pushed on?  Answer »
  • Which of the following did Henry (Macaulay Culkin) NOT do in The Good Son?  Answer »
  • What color is the drink that Alfred gave to Bruce Wayne before he did some push ups in Batman Begins ?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

debmm Skin by debmm
2968 Profiles