Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect

83% Liked It
liked it

Pitch Perfect

Anna Kendrick, Skylar Astin, Ben Platt, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp

Beca (Anna Kendrick) is that girl who'd rather listen to what's coming out of her headphones than what's coming out of you. Arriving at her new college, she finds herself not right for any clique but ... read more read more...somehow is muscled into one that she never would have picked on her own: alongside mean girls, sweet girls and weird girls whose only thing in common is how good they sound when they sing together, in the new out-loud comedy Pitch Perfect. When Beca takes this acoustic singing group out of their world of traditional arrangements and perfect harmonies into all-new mash-ups, they fight to climb their way to the top of the cutthroat world of college a cappella. This could wind up either the coolest thing they'll ever do or the most insane, and it will probably be a little of both. -- (C) Universal

Id: 11172178

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Recent Reviews

• March 3, 2014
    Minus half a star for the totally unnecessary vomit gags.
  • February 22, 2014
    It may be conventional and formulaic with nearly all the film clichés that Kendrick's character disdains so much (and not with the originality of the likes of The Breakfast Club), but maybe that is its point after all: to work as a solid predictable comedy. And it does it well.
  • fb1442511448
    December 2, 2013
    fb1442511448
    It has that flair and flamboyancy of a 'Bring it On', 'Save the Last Dance' & even 'Stomp the Yard'. Pitch Perfect displays energy and exuberance that only a capaella could (no pun intended) pitch. It is obviously a cliche-filled coming-of-age musical, but the film is able to pre... read moresent a new style to an old genre that's very laughable, entertaining, upbeat and filled with numbers that temps you to sing and/or dance along. 4/5
  • September 6, 2013
    Not that great, but definitely not bad.. 'Pitch Perfect' is the kind of movie that will leave you dazzled even after you finished watching it.. Especially for the lovely performance from Anna Kendrick and her ear-catchy song titled Cups. The story itself is quite ordinary, from z... read moreero to hero.. A journey of a team that rebuilds themselves to the hall of fame.. The song is nice and their acapella version is quite stunning..
  • May 30, 2013
    Take the plot of Bring it On, add remixes and mash-ups of popular music thrown through the Glee grinder, Rebel Wilson's adlibbed one-liners, and shake, and you have Pitch Perfect, an a cappella singing comedy that was a sleeper hit last fall. My female friends raved about it. It'... read mores from a 30 Rock writer. It's from the director of the irreverent musical Avenue Q. I like Wilson and the movie's star, Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air). I wanted to like it, and while I found most of it passably cute, I could not get too attached and the chief reason was Kendrick's character. She's so surly and standoffish and just plain bratty, and for no good reason. It gets really annoying. Her rote romance with a bland hunky guy is made even more incredulous because Kendrick, get this, hates movies. Not certain kinds of movies or movies with certain actors, just the entire medium. Who is like this? That's like disliking all of music entirely. The overall comedic spirit of the movie is amiable with a few oddball touches that keep things interesting, notably one girl who talks very quietly and says outrageous confessions. Listen well. The performance segments are impressive in their own right enough so that I wish there were more of them. There's also a level of reality to projectile vomit that I was not prepared for. Overall, Pitch Perfect is a fitfully amusing comedy that never really settles down a functional tone, and Kendrick's bratty character drags the movie down. It's far from perfect but depending upon your love of a cappella, it could be good enough.

Nate's Grade: B-
  • May 25, 2013
    In this mostly light comedy, we get a fun look into the world of competitive college a capella singing groups.

Beca is a loner college freshman who can't find a clique to belong to until she gets muscled into the last one she thought possible: an all girl a capella singing group... read more surprisingly made up of a diverse group of girls from all walks of life.

Having a background in music, I was able to appreciate this film a little more. Granted, the music being performed here is cover versions of stuff I'm not into, but I can recognize something entertaining and crowd pleasing when I hear it.

The cast is made up of typical tokens, but somehow I really didn't seem to mind, no matter how predictable and unoriginal this all is. As Beca, Anna Kendrick is really good as the alternative chick, but, like most people, I found myself being most entertained by Rebel Wilson's turn as the odd and eccentric Fat Amy. She's the clear scene stealer and best thing going on here, though Hana Mae Lee as the super quiet and creepy Lilly was also pretty awesome.

The film is really predictable, formulaic, and cheesy, yet I found myself not caring about any of that. It's a feel good crowd pleaser, quite funny, and yeah, even the music performances are done pretty well.

It's nothing new, but is done far better than it has any right to be. I say give it a watch.
  • April 18, 2013
    I think I was expecting much more. Really not very laugh-out-loud funny, and it really was just like GLEE...which I stopped watching a couple years ago. No real "show stoppers" here, in my opinion. Rather lame...
  • April 7, 2013
    Another one I expected to like more than I did. Really quite lame and tame.
  • fb100000293612769
    March 18, 2013
    fb100000293612769
    A strange mix of cheap humor, great acting, cliche subplots, and an endearing protagonist. Overall not a fantastic film, but a good one, especially thanks to Anna Kendrick. We've seen movies like this before. The plot sinks down to typical teenage/college movie tendencies while t... read morehe writing and humor don't really hit the nail on the head. But the musical performances are entertaining and full of energy. Kendrick's character is easy to like, relate to, and cheer for. Especially charming is her interactions with the other characters. Predictable, yes. Cheesy, yes. But it leaves you smiling and in a good mood. What else can you ask for?
  • fb1216165431
    January 31, 2013
    fb1216165431
    Pitch Perfect (2012, USA) is a fusion of Glee, Mean Girls, and everything nice. A highly addicting, genuinely exciting, and perfectly beautiful composition about a university acappella group to discovery, friendship, and success. A perfect 10.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD