Oblivion
Oblivion (2013)

Tom Cruise stars in Oblivion, an original and groundbreaking cinematic event from the visionary director of TRON: Legacy and producers of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one… More

Directed By:
Rated: PG-13
Running Time:
Release Date: August 6, 2013
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
54%
Flixster
User Score
61%

Critic Score: 54% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Visually striking but thinly scripted, Oblivion benefits greatly from its strong production values and an excellent performance from Tom Cruise.

Michael Sragow
Orange County Register

Although it looks spectacular and boasts some pungent ideas, the surprise-to-running-time ratio is out of whack.

Full review…
Anthony Lane
New Yorker

Feels ever more grounded and stuck ...

Full review…
Christopher Lawrence
Las Vegas Review-Journal

Oblivion delivers a blast of midsummer heat to the middle of April. And, unlike many a potential blockbuster, it's full of ambition. Just try not to think about it too much.

Full review…
Wesley Morris
Grantland

It takes more than an hour for Oblivion to become whatever it is the filmmakers think it's supposed to be.

Full review…
David Edelstein
New York Magazine/Vulture

Was Cruise trying to beat out fellow Scientologist John Travolta for the honor of starring in the dumbest sci-fi epic ever?

Full review…
Ray Pride
Newcity

"Oblivion" has the kind of magpie fecundity you'd hope to find bursting from the pages of une bande dessinťe freshly re-inked into English. But as a movie, it's like a terabyte farm of all the films Kosinski has ever steeped in.

Full review…
Richard Corliss
TIME Magazine

In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.

Full review…
Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
Chicago Sun-Times

If nothing else, "Oblivion" will go down in film history as the movie where Tom Cruise pilots a white, sperm-shaped craft into a giant space uterus.

Full review…
Russell Hainline
Movie Mezzanine

In a film whose first frame is a memory, it uses its familiarity to us to its advantage. It's like making a sandwich the way your mom used to make them, achieving sense memory of past pleasures.

Full review…
More reviews for Oblivion

Flixster Audience Score: 61% Flixster User Reviews
Matthew Comer
Overall it was halfway decent. I honestly saw most of the plot twists coming, but the visuals and tech made up for it. I would recommend seeing it as a… More
Anthony Lawrie
Likable but ultimately forgettable. It's something we've seen before but with better graphics. How come so many world landmarks are all next to each… More
Cynthia S.
3 3/4's--Pretty good, and that's saying a lot for me...because I swore off Tom Cruise movies a long time ago. However, this one I stuck with. VERY… More
Mark Walker
Say what you will about Tom Cruise but there‚??s no denying that his choice of projects have always been bankable. Throughout the 80‚?≤s and 90‚?≤s most of his… More
Wildaly M
I think they had a good idea here but then when they actually got down to writing down the story it all just went wrong. It just didn't flow and there was… More
JY Skacto
Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure, <i>Oblivion</i>, keeps the story going.<p>The screen time is roughly 2 hours and it does feel that… More