close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko, Morgan Freeman, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ... see more see more... , Melissa Leo , Zoe Bell

Tom Cruise stars in Oblivion, an original and groundbreaking cinematic event from the visionary director of TRON: Legacy and producers of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. On a spectacular future Earth ... read more read more...that has evolved beyond recognition, one man's confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind. 2077: Jack Harper (Cruise) serves as a security repairmen stationed on an evacuated Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying alien threat who still scavenges what's left of our planet, Jack's mission is almost complete. In a matter of two weeks, he will join the remaining survivors on a lunar colony far from the war-torn world he has long called home. Living in and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, Jack's soaring existence is brought crashing down after he rescues a beautiful stranger from a downed spacecraft. Drawn to Jack through a connection that transcends logic, her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he thought he knew. With a reality that is shattered as he discovers shocking truths that connect him to Earth of the past, Jack will be pushed to a heroism he didn't know he contained within. The fate of humanity now rests solely in the hands of a man who believed our world was soon to be lost forever. (c)Universal

Flixster Users

61% liked it

158,760 ratings

Critics

54% liked it

226 critics

PG-13, 2 hr. 5 min.

Directed by: Joseph Kosinski

Release Date: April 19, 2013

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: August 6, 2013

Stats: 11,007 reviews

Photos

None yet... Got one?

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (11,007)

• August 21, 2014
    Overall it was halfway decent. I honestly saw most of the plot twists coming, but the visuals and tech made up for it. I would recommend seeing it as a matinee or catching it in the 2nd run theaters
  • March 1, 2014
    3 3/4's--Pretty good, and that's saying a lot for me...because I swore off Tom Cruise movies a long time ago. However, this one I stuck with. VERY confusing, but good at the same time. I most definitely needed someone with me (in this case my husband) to occasionally explain thin... read moregs to me. Overall, this was very entertaining. The CGI is amazing, and the plot kept me interested to the end...and it was a really nice ending, too.
  • December 15, 2013
    I think they had a good idea here but then when they actually got down to writing down the story it all just went wrong. It just didn't flow and there was "umph" to this film.
  • November 22, 2013
    Likable but ultimately forgettable. It's something we've seen before but with better graphics. How come so many world landmarks are all next to each other? How come the Empire State building is the only one left standing? Why didn't he keep the Dog? None of these questions matter... read more, it's just easy viewing. I like the way they tied it all up at the end though, as average as it is, it's probably one of the best film endings of the year so far in my opinion. How cool would it be to live in a sky house!
  • September 28, 2013
    Say what you will about Tom Cruise but there‚??s no denying that his choice of projects have always been bankable. Throughout the 80‚?≤s and 90‚?≤s most of his films and performances were of a particularly high standard. The same could be said of the 00‚?≤s as well. However, over... read more the last three years, cracks are beginning to appear; ‚??Knight and Day‚??, ‚??Rock of Ages‚?? and ‚??Jack Reacher‚?? have failed to register any form of quality. On the surface, ‚??Oblivion‚?? has all the hallmarks of the Cruiser getting back on track but, unfortunately, proves just as lacklustre as the aforementioned duds.

In the year 2077, Earth has been obliterated by an alien race and the surviving members of humanity have moved on to inhabit Saturn‚??s moon, Titan. Jack (Tom Cruise) and his wife Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) have remained on earth, though, to protect machinery harvesting the planet‚??s resources before Jack begins to suspect that his mission isn‚??t as straightforward as he thought it was.

Director Joseph Kosinski follows up his previous science fiction film ‚??Tron Legacy‚?? with another venture into the future. He works from his own graphic novel and delivers an intriguing premise that pays homage to classic Sci-Fi movies like ‚??2001: A Space Odyssey‚?? and ‚??Planet of the Apes‚??. His setting is suitably bleak (captured beautifully by cinematographer Claudio Miranda), his use of visuals are striking and his tone is perfectly sombre. In fact, Kosinski actually assembles a good addition to the science fiction genre. Unfortunately, his assembly soon falls apart due to a script that‚??s devoid of any substance or characters that we can invest in. The pace is lethargic, to say the least, which only really registers that a lot of the film is just padding. Nothing happens for a good chunk of the movie and when the plot is finally opened up, it fails to make sense or hold any form of coherence. Even if it did, your likely to have lost interest by that point anyway. Cruise wanders around aimlessly (presumably in search of characterisation) and the likes of Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau needn‚??t have turned up at all. The most frustrating thing overall, though, is that the big reveal is one that we‚??ve seen many times before and all, but completely, rips-off Duncan Jones‚?? far superior ‚??Moon‚??. The similarities are almost shocking and I wouldn‚??t have been surprised to have seen Jones‚?? name on the screenwriting credits.

Kosinski is a director that may yet find his feet. He certainly has an eye for sumptuous visuals and can stage a fine action set-piece. However, he really needs to work on a coherent narrative and one that isn‚??t as dull or desolate as the landscape that his characters roam.

Mark Walker
  • September 6, 2013
    Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure, Oblivion, keeps the story going.

The screen time is roughly 2 hours and it does feel that long. This is due to the pacing of the story which never rushes itself, yet never seems to come to a crawl. There is a high sense of mystery an

... read mored intrigue as plot details are unveiled at opportune times, all the while leaving the good stuff for last.

The set designs and effects are rock solid, which works in this film's favor given the low quantity of characters to follow. The action sequences are well planned and executed nicely.

Tom Cruise knows how to carry a film, so there is no problem here. Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko provide good supporting roles. Drone 166 delivers as a non-human character.

Oblivion is a well-rounded sci-fi adventure. Highly recommended.

• August 13, 2013
    While certainly derivative of many science fiction classics, Oblivion is also a visually stunning experience worthwhile because it puts ideas in place that make you think and isn't just a visual effects spectacle with wall to wall action. The best moments of this adventure are th... read moree spare moments of discovery rather than the impressive action scenes. The story makes you think and keep you on your toes the whole time and even though there's small plot holes here and there that I wish were explained better, they didn't completely destroy the experience like they can with other movies in this genre. The movie slowly reveals its secrets over the lengthy 2 hour run time and there's spots where it could have used better pacing, but overall it does a decent job in that department. Tom Cruise gives a solid performance well within his wheelhouse he is known for while Morgan Freeman is in the movie very little despite getting significant screen time in trailers and commercials. Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough also give effective performances as the female interests in the story. Oblivion is not going to spoke in the same breath as the classics it clearly emulates, but its thoughtful and unique world is worthwhile for someone wanting a little brain with their science fiction spectacle.
  • fb791220692
    August 12, 2013
    fb791220692
    Oblivion is a beautiful movie, and it's always good to see an original sci-fi film now and then. Unfortunately, its style only takes this post-apocalyptic journey so far. The film is hamstrung by characters that are as barren as the desolate landscapes they traverse, and the scie... read morence fiction tropes pile up to create a congested second half full of cliches and forced twists seen in other, better sci-fi films. The actors may be talented, but the script gives them very little to work with (especially the exceptionally wasted Morgan Freeman). While you may not find much to care about in the story, its still a fun ride. The special effects are well-done, especially when it comes to the mechanical elements like the intimidating drones, which move with both a weightiness and agility that combines to form something you would definitely not want to meet in a dark alley, and Tom Cruise's ship is a really imaginative piece of futuristic technology as well. M83's score is a mixed bag. Choosing this band for this movie is the absolute perfect choice, as they have that epic, desolate futuristic-yet-retro feel to them to begin with. Unfortunately, the score they have composed rarely sounds like their 'actual' music as much as it does an imitation of contemporary blockbuster scores. Had they gone their own route (or used some tracks from their discography), they could have came up with something that really made 'Oblivion' stand out from the pack. This is just an example of the larger problem with 'Oblivion': it isn't a bad movie, but in every instance where it has a chance to be a pioneer and do something fresh, it falls back on the crutches of the past, and ends up feeling rather generic as a result.
  • August 2, 2013
    A spectacular and mind-blowing epic. A provocative and intense triumph, that returns to the grandest form of science fiction. It's a visionary, groundbreaking and explosive cinematic piece of work that shines as one of the most original and exciting films in years. It delivers an... read more explosive mix of story, characters, surprising romance, tremendous mystery, incredible action and stunning special effects. Director, Joseph Kosinski's second feature film is his original idea and brings it to life with this breathtaking and astonishing adventure that keeps your heart-pounding and your mind racing. A tremendously entertaining and action-packed thrill-machine. One of the most exhilarating and impressive science fiction movies ever made. Tom Cruise is magnificent, you truly feel the gravity of his character and you cant help but feel more drawn to him in this. Cruise just gets better and better as the years go on. Moran Freeman is terrific. Olga Kurylenko is excellent. Andrea Riseborough is brilliant.
  • July 31, 2013
    This is the kind of SciFi I like. I was even able to get over the lead being Tom Cruise!

Critic Reviews

Michael Sragow
March 3, 2014
Michael Sragow, Orange County Register

Although it looks spectacular and boasts some pungent ideas, the surprise-to-running-time ratio is out of whack. Full Review

Wesley Morris
December 31, 2013
Wesley Morris, Grantland

It takes more than an hour for Oblivion to become whatever it is the filmmakers think it's supposed to be. Full Review

Richard Corliss
December 31, 2013
Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine

In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn. Full Review

Anthony Lane
April 29, 2013
Anthony Lane, New Yorker

Feels ever more grounded and stuck ... Full Review

David Edelstein
April 22, 2013
David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture

Was Cruise trying to beat out fellow Scientologist John Travolta for the honor of starring in the dumbest sci-fi epic ever? Full Review

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
April 21, 2013
Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, Chicago Sun-Times

If nothing else, "Oblivion" will go down in film history as the movie where Tom Cruise pilots a white, sperm-shaped craft into a giant space uterus. Full Review

Richard Roeper
April 19, 2013
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

This is the sci-fi movie equivalent of a pretty damn good cover band. Full Review

Tom Charity
April 19, 2013
Tom Charity, CNN.com

Glossy, derivative, ambitious and fatally underpowered. Full Review

J. R. Jones
April 19, 2013
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

The story eventually devolves into a grab bag of sci-fi tropes but, as with so many other Cruise productions, the sheer scale of everything is so mind-numbing that you may not notice. Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
April 19, 2013
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

The sly, surprising and visually magnificent Tom Cruise vehicle that has forced me - and many other people, I suspect - to revise my first opinion of director Joseph Kosinski. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (80%)
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 3D
    Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith ... (50%)
  • Surrogates
    Surrogates (20%)
  • Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Bac... (50%)

Facts

• Jack Harper: This is bullshit. We won the war. Now we have to leave
    • Sally: Tower 49, this is Mission Control, how ya'll doing this lovely morning?
    • Victoria "Vika" Olsen: Another day in paradise Sally!
    • Jack Harper: How can a man die better?
    • Sally: You don't have to die, Jack. She doesn't have to die.
    • Jack Harper: Everybody dies, Sally. The thing is, to die well.
    • Jack Harper: What Horatius said was, "How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his gods."
    • Jack Harper: Yes Sally we are an effective team.
    • Jack Harper: I am Jack Harper. And I am home.

Oblivion : Watch Free on TV

Oblivion Trivia

• Name the movie from this antonym. Dying Out Famous  Answer »
  • True or False? Living in Oblivion is a movie about what it's like to make a movie.  Answer »
  • Classic Cinema Scenes- In this 1957 film, the Knight (Max von Sydow) witnesses the plague, tortures and fanatical behavior. He plays a game of chess with Death for his personal survival. Death then leads people in a dance over the hill and into oblivion. Name this black and white movie.   Answer »
  • Who was Nick Reve played by in the movie "Living in oblivion"?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Oblivion. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?