Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Jon Bon Jovi, Abigail Breslin, Robert De Niro ... see more see more... , Josh Duhamel , Hector Elizondo , Katherine Heigl , Ashton Kutcher , Seth Meyers , Lea Michele , Sarah Jessica Parker , Michelle Pfeiffer , Til Schweiger , Hilary Swank , Sofía Vergara , Chris "Ludacris" Bridges , Zac Efron , Alyssa Milano , Charlotte Marshall-Fricker , Fiona Choi , Mary Marguerite Keane , Michael Mandell , Patrick Reale , Cary Elwes , Common , Barbara Marshall , Sarah Paulson , Carla Gugino , Amber Bela Muse , Peter Allen Vogt , Ross Ryman , Kal Parekh , Russell Peters , Serena Poon , Sarge , Jim Belushi , Lillian Lifflander , Jake T. Austin , Mara Davi , Jaclyn Miller , Cassidy Reiff , Nat Wolff , Kendra Jain , Julia Randall , Christian Fortune , Tatyana Disla , Chealy Phoung , Marvin Braveman , Alexandra Rose Guthy , Denise Violante , Katherine McNamara , Norman Bukofzer , Beth Kennedy , Joey McIntyre , Jackie Seiden , Sean O'Bryan , Larry Miller , Jack McGee , Yeardley Smith , Benjamin McGowan , Jon-Christian Costable , Juliette Allen-Angelo , Drena De Niro , Vanessa Mendoza , Christine Lakin , Sandra Taylor , Shea Curry , Earl Rose , Johnny Debrito , Samuel Mitchell , Amare Stoudemire , Cherry Jones , Kathleen Marshall , Joey Sorge , Rob Nagle , Matt Walker , Wedil David , David Valcin , Stephanie Fabian , Patrick Collins , Pat Battle , Tom Hines , Greg Wilson , Anna Aimee White , Sam Marshall , Susan Silver , Emily Moss Wilson , Bob Weston , Lucy Woodward , Stephanie Alexander , Nicole Sobchack , Anna Kulinova , Rylie J. Neale , Lily Marshall-Fricker , Lori Marshall , Ryan Seacrest , Sienna Miller

New Year's Eve celebrates love, hope, forgiveness, second chances and fresh starts, in the intertwining stories told amidst the pulse and promise of New York City on the most dazzling night of the yea... read more read more...r. -- (C) Warner Bros

Flixster Users

46% liked it

80,380 ratings

Critics

7% liked it

133 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 57 min.

Directed by: Garry Marshall

Release Date: December 9, 2011

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: May 1, 2012

Stats: 3,238 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (3,238)

• February 27, 2014
    A little bit funny. Good but not great.
  • May 15, 2013
    Just one year after Garry Marshall's bid at romantic comedy gold, "Valentine's Day", this celebrity tainted mess came into theaters. It's not explicitly bad because of its average sized cast, or how flagrant it is. I can get behind a romantic comedy of epic proportions, because I... read more did so with its predecessor. "Valentine's Day" may not have been wonderful in every way, but it had human stories, different sides to love's enigma, and really tried to say something about the day in question and how transformative it is. Did it succeed at every turn? Absolutely not, but everything that worked well in that movie is ignored in this one. Instead of exploring the many storylines he sets up for his plethora of characters, Gary Marshall simply crams as many familiar faces into this film as possible. Instead of looking at different facets or stages or ages of love, Marshall simply uses the same heart tugging elements that he did in his previous movie: love between two young people? Check. A soldier far from home? Check. At least there were some actually enjoyable performances in "Valentine's Day", and the two that obviously stood out were Jessica Biel and Ashton Kutcher. Both, as well as Hector Elizondo, show up yet again in this film, with no mention of their former characters from the last film. They're completely different characters, and not exactly enjoyable ones at that. Lea Michele and Jon Bon Jovi are in this film, so of course there are musical numbers. (I bet there was no singing, and it was rewritten when Michele was cast.) The love stories are not all that intriguing either: Katherine Heigl is mad at Bon Jovi. That's a relationship, and that's the entire explanation we're given. Josh Duhamel is looking for some girl, and we don't know what's so great about her except for an offhanded cheesy line. None of the relationships are built up, and where its predecessor really looked at all kinds of love, celebrated diversity, and cared about the characters, this film is so haphazard and clumsy. Besides that the dialogue is atrocious, and most of the time I found myself laughing at this for all the wrong reasons. Its predecessor exemplifies love, and truly, this film is just trying to do the same with some formulaic choices, which makes it weak and palatable at best.
  • January 31, 2013
    All eyes are on New York on New Year's Eve. Similar to Valentine's Day movie it follows the lives of people interacting. Pregnant couples compete to win money for giving birth to the first baby of the new year, Robert de Niro has a dying wish, a guy and gal agree to meet one year... read more on in NYC. Good cast. Heart warming.
  • December 13, 2012
    "Enjoyable, but nothing worth seeing here more then once. I enjoyed the ending more than the entirety of the film. Not that the film was awful. I just liked seeing Michelle Pfeiffer bust a movie with Zac Efron. Plus I enjoyed their story the best out of all of them. I thought Lea... read more and Ashton's was cheesy. I didn't see a real point of it being apart of the whole story. Jessica Biel and Seth Meyers was funny. All in all not a bad little flick to watch if your needing to pass some time. Plus I enjoyed the variety of talent it had. But it's nothing worth seeing more than once."
  • June 28, 2012
    What do you do when you have to make a movie with a mediocre script? Fill it to the rim with really famous people! Sorry, Garry Marshall. Not enough....
  • fb100000145236770
    June 16, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    Movies stars don't always make a movie good, and "New Year's Eve" is proof of that. This is a follow-up to "Valentine's Day"(not a sequel), same director and some of the cast, although their different characters. But it's the same premise, just a different holiday. If follows ... read moredifferent people on New Years Eve, and how their stories intertwine in New York City. The movie boasts one of the most impressive casts ever. If you named 15 actors off the top of your head, at least half of them are probably in this movie. Ashton Kutcher, Zac Efron, Michelle Pheiffer, Kathriene Keighl, Jon Bon Jovi, Abigail Breslin, Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Duhamel, Jessica Beil, Seth Meyers, Halle Berry, Robert De Niro, to name just a few! However, the stories are all cliche and pretty bland. They are striving for "Love Actually", but in the end it comes nowhere close to the excellence of that film. Main reason to watch is to count all the actors you know. The performances are good, but the story is weak and for a comedy it isn't very funny. Watch for sheer star power, just don't expect much substance behind their shine.
  • April 14, 2012
    It was okay. It lost half a star for the inclusion of Jon Bon Jovi and his horrible singing (also it was really creepy watching him romantically involved with the much younger katherine Heigl).
    There is a lot of stories and characters here. Some I liked (Abigail Breslin, Michel... read morele Pfeifer, Katherine Heigl). Others I couldn't care less about (Jessica Biel, Hillary Swank).
    If you liked Valentines Day, you might enjoy this, but there is definitely better out there.
  • April 9, 2012
    The lives of several couples and singles in New York intertwine over the course of New Year's Eve.

Pretty much what I expected. The combination of great actors just mixing up in different stories is always good but you do need a good plot and this was good enough to me. Probabl... read morey a movie I'll see more than once but I won't buy it. Go see it!

Set during New Year's Eve in New York city, this movie follows several people and how the day affects them. Kim is a single mother who still thinks of her daughter, Hailey as a child who wants to go out with a boy so that she could kiss him at midnight. Claire, who is in charge of the city's annual tradition, the ball drop on Times Square. And when something goes wrong she has to ask an electrician, who was fired, to come and fix it. Laura, a chef who is cooking the New year's Eve party for a record company who runs into Jensen, her ex who's a singer whose performing at the party. While he tries to apologize for how things ended, she refuses to accept it. Ingrid, a woman who works at the record company, after having a near death experience decides to quit her job and asks a young messenger, Paul to help her fulfill her resolutions. And at a hospital, Stan, a man who is in the final stages of cancer, only wishes to see the ball drop. Also Griffin and Tess, a couple who are expecting, want to be the ones who give birth first after New Year because of the available cash prize; but another couple is also about to give birth. Randy a man who's not exactly fond of the holiday because of something that happened, finds himself trapped in an elevator with a singer who is one of Jensen's back up singers when he performs at Times Square. And Sam, son of the owner of the record company, who is out of town and is trying to get back to the city so that he could give a speech at the party, but when he has an accident and since it's a holiday, his car can't be fixed so he hitches a ride with some people going to the city. But it seems he has another reason why he needs to get back.
  • January 3, 2012
    Dont end/start the year with this god awful rom com. Good cast but bloody awful plot and characters. Most of these cast members dont fit with each other anyway! Halle Berry and Ashton Kutcher in the same movie?! Robert deNiro and Askhton Kutcher in the same movie?! Hell anyone of... read more these great actors with Ashton Kutcher is a bad ensemble (he's a good actor dont get me wrong but only when he makes good chemistry with his fellow cast members like two and a half men). To be direct, New Years Eve is a romantic comedy thats aim is to be heartwarming at this wonderful time of the year but comes across as a blizzard of bad chemistry and therefore not romantic in the slightest.
  • December 28, 2011
    New Years Eve was basically a clone of the 2009 film Valentines Day, it has the same director, the same writer, same producers, and the same storyline but there is one difference between the two movies, they are different holidays, and I felt like that is the only difference. Th... read moree story follows many different people who all have different experiences on the day of New Years Eve. The plot is exactly what we all were expecting, a vignette of people who all have different stories, but as I was expecting, the stories are uninteresting, the characters are boring, and we all know that they are going to end a on a good note and be really romantic so what was there really to look forward to, no matter how many of these films they make and I cannot see a story like this ever really being good. The cast consists of some very big actors including Ashton Kutcher, Katherine Heigl, Halle Berry, Robert DeNiro, Michelle Pfeifer, Abigail Breslin, Josh Duhamel, Jon Bon Jovi, Sarah Jessica Parker, Zac Efron, Sofia Vergara, Jake T. Austin, Jessica Biel, Ludacris, Seth Meyers, and Ryan Seacrest, and you know what, not a single one of these actors could show how good they are because they only get about 10 minutes of screen time each so what can i say other than they all did this film for a paycheck and nothing else. The comedy was not meant to really make people laugh, it is meant to give a few giggles to some girls who go with their boyfriends to a cheesy romantic movie, so if you did laugh at the film Valentines Day, you will not laugh at this film. New Years Eve respects the holiday and does not stray from being a film that celebrates the holiday so I did not completely dislike the film, but in my opinion it failed in everything else such as story, acting, romance and comedy so I recommend to anybody who wants a good film, but if you want to see a film to celebrate the New Year this is what you will want to see.

Critic Reviews

Rafer Guzman
December 9, 2011
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

New Year's Eve is a perfect example of why the adjective "Hollywood" is so often used as a pejorative. Full Review

Linda Holmes
December 9, 2011
Linda Holmes, NPR

The only entertaining way to watch New Year's Eve is as a cruel experiment in which performers stranded with absolutely no script support are forced to subsist on pure presence, which quickly becomes ... Full Review

Tom Long
December 9, 2011
Tom Long, Detroit News

Written on the level of a bad episode of The Love Boat, this is one of those concoctions that intertwines about 10 storylines and then concludes with a cherry on top. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
December 9, 2011
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

The only thing that can inspire more cynicism than a holiday's coerced emotions may be a film that both exploits and celebrates said emotions. Full Review

Richard Roeper
December 9, 2011
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

It's all perfectly pleasant and perfectly harmless and perfectly bland. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
December 9, 2011
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

Should auld acquaintance be forgot? I don't know, but "New Year's Eve" sure should be. Full Review

Dave McGinn
December 9, 2011
Dave McGinn, Globe and Mail

This New Year's Eve leaves you feeling like you've got no one to kiss at midnight. Full Review

Alonso Duralde
December 9, 2011
Alonso Duralde, TheWrap

None of the marquee names come off particularly well here, so it's more a matter of figuring out who embarrasses themselves the most. Full Review

Ann Hornaday
December 9, 2011
Ann Hornaday, Washington Post

Sags when it should shimmer, labors clunkily when it should glide and - most unforgivably - plops some otherwise attractive and even talented actors into roles that are completely outside their physic... Full Review

Sara Stewart
December 9, 2011
Sara Stewart, New York Post

A soul-sucking monument to Hollywood greed and saccharine holiday culture. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Valentine's Day
    Valentine's Day (96%)
  • Love Actually
    Love Actually (90%)
  • P.S. I Love You
    P.S. I Love You (84%)
  • Charlie Chaplin: The Forgotten Years
    Charlie Chaplin: The Forgotten Years (50%)

Facts

• Male Nurse: May the best Va-Jay-Jay win!
    • Stan Harris: I was living on a borrowed time.
    • Griffin: How bout we split 50/50.
    • Elise: You're just some wannabe hipster who judges everything and who's too scared to take a chance.
    • Sam: What is one thing you would do if you knew you would not fail? Now go out and do it.
    • Jensen: Boy meets girl. Boy messes up. Boy loses girl.

New Year's Eve : Watch Free on TV

New Year's Eve Trivia

• Which song Susie Diamond (Michelle Pfeiffer) sings in New Year's Eve (The Fabulous Baker Boys, 1989)?  Answer »
  • What movie has to do with two people meeting at a New Years Eve party in idk where?  Answer »
  • When do Roger and Julie marry in Penny Serenade ?  Answer »
  • What day is it in the begining of Posidon ?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for New Year's Eve. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?