close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jensen Ackles, Jaime King, Kerr Smith, Edi Gathegi, Tom Atkins ... see more see more... , Kevin Tighe , Betsey Rue , Megan Boone

A psychopathic miner terrorizes the town of Harmony in this retelling of one of the most underrated slasher films of the early '80s with My Bloody Valentine 3-D. 10-years ago, the lone survivor of an ... read more read more...accident deep in the mines awoke from a coma and slashed his way through the town in a bloody, vengeance-fueled rampage. Though shot and apparently killed, the memories of Harry Warden still haunt both the town and Tom Hanniger (Jensen Ackles), the heir to the mine and one of the last people to see Harry before his disappearance. Just as Tom heads back to his hometown after a long time away, so do the killings ramp up again. While he mends his torn relationship with his ex-girlfriend Sarah (Jaime King) and her husband Axl (Kerr Smith), citizens are knocked off one by one in spectacularly gruesome fashion (all presented in 3-D). Has Harry come from beyond the grave or is there a new killer donning the suit and mask? Scream franchise editor Patrick Lussier helms from a script by Zane Smith and Jason X scribe Todd Farmer. Genre veteran Tom Atkins lends his B-movie chops to a supporting character in the Lionsgate production. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi

Flixster Users

45% liked it

208,104 ratings

Critics

57% liked it

90 critics

DVD Release Date: May 19, 2009

Stats: 17,191 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (17,191)

• December 20, 2012
    It's a slasher film with a reverse gimmick. I'm not talking about the 3D effects either, which are typical. The reverse gimmick is sneaky, but I'll tell anyway: most films of this splatter play towards the surprise (but its not anymore, cause everyone does it in all of these fi... read morelms) that the killer isn't who you've been led to think it is, its somebody completely different). The spin here, so wicked its nearly original, is that the killer IS who you think it is. SURPRISE. ;) Oops, spoiler alert. Have fun anyway.
  • October 17, 2012
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

My Bloody Valentine 3D makes effective and imaginative usage of gimmicky 3D. I haven't actually seen it in 3D but i'll trust the very positive feedback that it's recieved. It takes each opportunity it get... read mores to throw gallons of blood at your face, and as a proud gorehound I found that extremely entertaining, even though overall everything surrounding that is noticeably not that good. The main problem with the film is that it's far too overlong for what it essentialy is. It's also filled with unnecessary subplots that are very uninteresting, but what saves the film is that when it eventually find's it's way and gives us the bloodbath we want from it, not one corner of any of the set's are undrenched with the slimy sticky red stuff. It's also shot with style and directed with some care but in the end it works because it does exactly what it says on the packet and has a fantastic attitude towards giving it's audience exactly what they want. There are many flaws with it but it passes the time very well. As a good old-fashioned nasty gorefest My Bloody Valentine lives up to it's title and in my opinion would serve excellently as a date movie or a relentless flick for gorehounds like me. It's not the best of the recent trend of horror remakes, but it's definitely not the worst. Forgettable but very good at being the cheap, solid, lowbrow fun that it desperately wants to be.
  • August 31, 2011
    It looks like utter crap. Video cassette quality. That was a real distraction when it began. The plot for a slasher was kind of interesting at first, though starting with the actual cave-in at the mine would have been nice. It also tried to have some character development with Ke... read morerr Smith playing a sheriff cheating on his wife. This made a rather ambiguous hero. This could have been good if it had gone somewhere, but you'll guess the killer pretty easily. It even tries to do a complete 180 with flashbacks, but the whole film made it obvious. It's like the writers couldn't be bothered to put any effort in so they just said "Let's actually make it the prime suspect". All the kills are similar, with a pickaxe used every time. I wouldn't even recommend this to real horror buffs.
  • June 23, 2011
    One of the best 3D scary films I have seen. When the axe comes flying at you... terrifying! Made me want to take off my glasses. A must see film definitely! Unexpected thrills and truly frightening and scary!
  • June 8, 2011
    My Bloody Valentine is a horrible remake of an overlooked and underrated 80's slasher. It was cool the first time it was done, but the second time around it is just stupid. Jensen Ackles may be one of the worst actors I've seen in awhile. Watch the original and let this piece of ... read moreshit die.
  • March 29, 2011
    This film is nonsense, it's fun to watch, I guess, but you really have to turn off your brain. The gore effects are quite impressive, and I'm always up for seeing a director come up with new ways to mangle people in nasty ways. Maybe I missed most of the pleasure of watching this... read more movie, since instead of in a theatre in RealD, I watched this on DVD in 2D. But really, I don't think it should really matter. I don't understand the killer in this movie. His motivation is hazy at best, he doesn't keep his victims straight and even his identity doesn't make any sense. He's not a cool enough character for me to let this movie get away with that type of foolishness. Dude, if you're wearing a mining helmet, you'd hardly have the keen eyesight needed to get the element of surprise. If you're hunting people in the tight confines of a mine, you'd have a hell of a time finding the swing room to deal a hard blow with a pickaxe. The scary look of the character presents significant logistical problems that created enough dissonance to take me out of the movie. At the end when his identity was the big reveal, I laughed. The end of this makes no sense. I wanted to see this because I'm in the throes of a Jensen Ackles kick and I liked Lussier's Dracula 2000. Was the original movie this stupid? Did High Tension rip it off, or did this remake rip off High Tension?
  • September 10, 2010
    The interest here for me of course was watching a Horror in 3D, this is a first for me.

The film itself is very much a typical slasher movie with all the usual ticklist features, it was interesting to see it in 3D, but there was nothing impressive enough or scary enough to mak... read moree good use of the 3D effect.
  • August 2, 2010
    Really, really stupid. Everyone died.
  • July 29, 2010
    not a good movie. you dont care about the characters. your normal bad horror movie that thinks just because its bloody and violent that its scary but thats completely un true. on the other hand if you see this in 3-D then its kinda cool espicially in the theater. if your looking ... read morefor nothing special but a bloody slasher in 3-D (nothing really good about it in 2-D) then this is for you. C
  • June 8, 2010
    My Bloody Valentine 3D is awesome Horror remake of the 1981 classic. It's one of the few remakes thats almost as good or better than the original. In this case, the original and remake are pretty much equal. My Bloody Valentine is no typical Tween-angst remake, it's very violent,... read more and gory and there's a nudity thrown in for good measure. This film succeeds where many previous remakes fail, and thats to give the audience one awesome film experience. Valentine 3d is a terrific remake and it does a great job to create scares on screen. By the films conclusion, you are left in awe by the fact this is one great horror film, thats actually a remake, saying this film is great is not even a guilty pleasure. My Bloody Valentine 3D is one great film to watch.

Critic Reviews

Maitland McDonagh
January 21, 2009
Maitland McDonagh, Time Out New York

This briskly paced remake of the 1981 slasher goes easy on the cheesy 3-D effects while delivering lots of seriously nasty gore. Full Review

Clark Collis
January 21, 2009
Clark Collis, Entertainment Weekly

What really leaps out at you about My Bloody Valentine 3-D is its lack of imagination. Full Review

Jason Anderson
January 20, 2009
Jason Anderson, Toronto Star

The trouble is that after that first gouged eyeball, there's not a whole lot further to go. Novelty value being a rapidly diminishing thing, the technology demands an escalation in intensity and inven... Full Review

Roger Moore
January 20, 2009
Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel

The plot staggers from absurd to ridiculous, and the dialogue is strictly of the 'Look we don't have to go down there' variety. Full Review

Jeannette Catsoulis
January 20, 2009
Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times

A strange synergy of old and new, My Bloody Valentine 3D blends cutting-edge technology and old-school prosthetics to produce something both familiar and alien: gore you can believe in. Full Review

Mark Olsen
January 20, 2009
Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times

In some ways, the filmmakers have created something too authentic in spirit to the original film, as it also fairly quickly becomes a plodding chore to watch. Full Review

Ethan Gilsdorf
January 20, 2009
Ethan Gilsdorf, Boston Globe

My Bloody Valentine may not be horribly acted, but in a post-Scream and post-Scary Movie era, it's difficult to squeeze any more blood from this low-brow/high-camp turnip. Full Review

Scott Tobias
January 20, 2009
Scott Tobias, AV Club

The film is strictly by-the-numbers slasher boilerplate. It won't endure past the weekend. Full Review

Joe Leydon
January 16, 2009
Joe Leydon, Variety

Director and co-editor Lussier (a frequent Wes Craven collaborator) plays the 3-D gimmick for all its worth. Full Review

Nigel Floyd
January 16, 2009
Nigel Floyd, Time Out

This is why 3D was invented. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• My Bloody Valentine
    My Bloody Valentine (97%)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (90%)
  • Inside (└ l'intÚrieur)
    Inside (└ l'intÚrieur) (67%)
  • The Toolbox Murders
    The Toolbox Murders (0%)

Facts

• Megan: Wait! I'm kinda pussy sometimes.
    • Sarah Palmer: Welcome to the club.
  • You can't get closer than this.
  • He's going to break your heart.

My Bloody Valenti... : Watch Free on TV

My Bloody Valentine 3-D Trivia

• Which latest movie is in 3D?  Answer »
  • Who is the comatose man in the movie "My Bloody Valentine 3D"?  Answer »
  • Who was the killer from my bloody valentine 3D (2009?  Answer »

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?