Mouchette
Mouchette (1967)

Robert Bresson directed this grim but moving story of a girl forced to grow up quickly due to the unfortunate circumstances which surround her. Mouchette (Nadine Nortier) is a fourteen year old girl living in a rural village in France;… More

Directed By:
Rated: Unrated
Running Time:
Release Date: January 16, 2007
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
86%
Flixster
User Score
87%

Critic Score: 86% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Remarkable not only as a viewing experience, but as a showcase for Robert Bresson's tremendous skill, Mouchette underpins its grim narrative with devastating grace.

Variety Staff
Variety

Everyday incidents take on an almost spiritual intensity in Bresson's controlled and incisive direction and handling of the players. Nadine Nortier has the animal ferocity and gentleness needed for the role.

Full review…
A.H. Weiler
New York Times

In artistically pointing up their lack of understanding and affection for Mouchette, Mr. Bresson never fully lets a viewer in on details that would help him appreciate them, too.

Full review…
Total Film

A work steeped in a profound sense of unfathomability, it's a perfect introduction to Bresson's utterly distinctive cinematic universe.

Full review…
Wally Hammond
Time Out

A magnificent and deeply rewarding example of Bresson's stripped-down methods of cutting and framing, sound and dialogue, performance and movement.

Full review…
Dave Kehr
Chicago Reader

It's a remarkable film: dark, compressed, shattering.

Full review…
Empire Magazine

Mouchette is certainly sombre, but when the characters are finally released from suffering, they do achieve spiritual purity.

Full review…
J. Hoberman
Village Voice

Like any genius, Bresson made rules in order to break them.

Full review…
Brian Baxter
Radio Times

A documentary fidelity underpins Robert Bresson's rigorous, though accessible, adaptation of Georges Bernanos's novel.

Full review…
Josh Larsen
LarsenOnFilm

The exquisite balance of unadorned artistry and emotional intensity that defined Au Hasard Balthazar is less skillfully balanced here.

Full review…
More reviews for Mouchette

Flixster Audience Score: 87% Flixster User Reviews
Stella Dallas
the refined essence of tragedy. so understated and unsentimental that i can only compare it to bu˝uel's los olvidados
Dimitris Springer
To say this the easy way...Mouchette contains one of the greatest endings in the history of 7th Art.My oh my,and just for the theme of it,it goes on the 1967… More
Arash Xak
Isolation & desolation, people's cruelty & misjudges &.... , Well I can go on & on about this masterpiece's greatness but I don't… More
Tom S.
Creates such a strange, disturbing mood, but I enjoyed it.
Eric Broome
"Mouchette" is a tragic tale of an unappreciated adolescent girl. Call it the "Welcome to the Dollhouse" of its day, if you like. As usual,… More