close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, Armie Hammer, Nathan Lane, Jordan Prentice ... see more see more... , Mark Povinelli , Joey Gnoffo , Danny Woodburn , Sebastian Saraceno , Martin Klebba , Ronald Lee Clark , Robert Emms , Mare Winningham , Michael Lerner , Sean Bean , Bonnie Bentley , Arthur Holden , Kwasi Songui , Eric Davis , Kathleen Fee , Nadia Verrucci , Dawn Ford , Alex Ivanovici , Richard Jutras , Melodie Simard , Adam Butcher , Kimberly-Sue Murray , Andre Lanthier , Lisa Noto , William Calvert , Nicholas Guest , Frank Welker

One of the most beloved stories of all time is coming to life in the motion picture event for the whole family, Mirror Mirror. A fresh and funny retelling of the Snow White legend, Mirror Mirror featu... read more read more...res breakout star Lily Collins as Snow White, a princess in exile, and Julia Roberts as the evil Queen who ruthlessly rules her captured kingdom. Seven courageous rebel dwarfs join forces with Snow White as she fights to reclaim her birthright and win her Prince in this magical comedy filled with jealousy, romance, and betrayal that will capture the hearts and imaginations of audiences the world over. The film also stars Armie Hammer as the Prince, and Nathan Lane as the hapless and bungling servant to the Queen. -- (C) Relativity

Flixster Users

45% liked it

145,238 ratings

Critics

49% liked it

172 critics

DVD Release Date: June 26, 2012

Stats: 4,994 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (4,994)

• March 17, 2014
    A charming, creative (and uneven) re-imagining of the Snow White tale. Entertaining performances by Armie Hammer and Nathan Lane. Julia Roberts was a disappointment, seeming to have dialed it in with the passion and skill of a high school drama teacher.
  • February 11, 2013
    Julia Roberts seems to be having a lot of fun in this amusing satire that plays with fairy tale clichés. Full of witty dialogue and with a solid script, this feminist vision of the classic story is much more inspired than Snow White and the Huntsman, even if not remarkable.
  • January 21, 2013
    Snow White's story gets a pseudo-feminist re-boot, but much of the story remains intact.
    I was ready to give this film three stars, a stretch for me because films like this are not my cup of tea, but the closing credits were scored by an auto-tuned, dance-club number that is, in ... read morethe words of Super Reviewer Alice Shen, "half-Bollywood." I didn't even watch the full number. It was revolting.
    I watched the film for its costume design, the category for which it's nominated, and the costumes and production design are indeed nomination-worthy. Lush, colorful schemes abound, and the film is a visual delight.
    We all know the story. I have always contended that Snow White is coded racism and sexism; after all, the "fairest of the land" can be a synonym for "whitest," and Snow White is confined to domestic duties when she joins the dwarves. But when Snow eschews the Prince's help, she essentially deploys a feminist message, saying that she doesn't need a man to rescue her. I wish they had stuck with this, but the plot eventually proves that she does need rescuing. The film was so close to something unique.
    All the performances are fine. Nathan Lane is Nathan Lane, and Julia Roberts is charmingly caddy. Lily Collins was there too.
    Overall, this film had promise once upon a time.
  • November 10, 2012
    Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is THE universal example of a childhood favorite. One who has not seen it at least twice before the age of eight is quite simply a poor excuse for a human being. It's too bad the year of its seventy-fifth anniversary happened to be the yea... read morer Walt Disney Pictures went to hell. John Carter bombed enough to put chairman Rich Ross out of business; uproar began when the company acquired Lucasfilm and began diabolical plans for another Star Wars trilogy; etc. Only to top it off, an insult to their beloved classic, known as Mirror Mirror. Perhaps I'm the only one who seems to believe the double-talk title is an apt representation of the repetitive, obnoxious plot. Unfortunately, young children are the huge bull's eye to this film's schlocky sort of charm. If parents decide to raise their kids with this debacle, then perhaps December 21st (also the very day Snow White was released in 1937) will see the world's end.
  • October 25, 2012
    "Oh my.. This movie was... stupid, silly, annyoing, and a little funny. I can't help myself, I enjoyed this a little bit.

I know this is going to sound awful, but I could not get pass how bushy Lily Collins eyebrows were. Then they colored them in and just made it so much wors... read moree. Eventually I quit noticing. But more then half the film eyebrows was all I saw.

I love Julia Roberts and I am a bit surprised she would do a film like this. I can only assume she wanted to do a kid friendly film for her children. I thought she was funny. The dwarfs were a lot of fun too. Most of the movie was a big film roll of crap.

Obviously a younger crowd will enjoy this much more than us older peeps.

Oh, and that ending...well.. I really don't have words for it. But if you have seen it, then I can't be the only one who almost rolled into the floor laughing at how insanely funny that was. It's was just so damn silly I couldn't take it.

It's definitely one of those movies you see once, regret, but also secretly enjoyed a little bit. Although I let the secret out that I did." =]
  • September 4, 2012
    the film is excellent on the visuals, and the first half feels like a light fare mel brooks comedy. it was witty and full of fantasy. the last half of the film descends a bit into standard fare for a fairy tale like this. it becomes dry, and overplayed, and loses its muster. ... read moreoverall a fun family movie.
  • August 21, 2012
    Funny, cute, entertaining. Definitely much more fun that I expected it to be..
  • August 20, 2012
    "And the queen realized if she wanted to remain the most beautiful in all the land, Snow would have to do what snow does best. Snow would have to fall."

I just didn't have very high expectations for Mirror Mirror. Lily Collins is a pretty little thing (and a good modern Snow Whi... read morete, it turns out) and Tarsem Singh's movies are always worth seeing for the visuals, if nothing else. However, early previews and trailers made this seem bland and not nearly as "guy-friendly" as the darker and impressively cast Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm pleased to say, though, that I enjoyed watching this whimsical comedy/fantasy.

It's fairly light-hearted, with frequent moments of humor and a story that's family-friendly. The basics of the Snow White fairy tale are present: there's a wicked (well, selfish, vain and mean might better words) queen/step-mother, a dashing prince (Arnie Hammer in a role that shows he has a flair for comedy), a poisoned apple, seven dwarves, a magic mirror, and the beautiful and innocent Snow herself. I thought the cast worked well together, and there's a surprise waiting for those who don't look too closely at the cast list before watching the movie

The sets and costumes are as interesting and eye-catching as you'd probably expect. Tarsem, along with Wes Anderson, are two of today's directors that absolutely know how to enhance a movie through distinctive eye candy.

Mirror Mirror isn't a movie that takes itself too seriously. This isn't an epic, dark retelling of the classic tale, but it is a pretty and moderately fun flick to sit down and watch with the family. I wouldn't be surprised if the cast and crew had a good time making it, and there's a good chance you may feel the same way after watching it.
  • August 6, 2012
    Former music video director Tarsem Singh has steadily built a reputation for himself in creating feature films with high visual flair. For anyone that's seen "The Cell" or "The Fall" then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. This film follows a similar visual path but is s... read moreo ponderous in the script department that it's sleep inducing.
    In a stolen kingdom, Snow White (Lily Collins) lives with her wicked stepmother (Julia Roberts) but when she attracts the attention of a handsome young prince (Armie Hammer), her stepmother banishes her. In the forest, she finds the company of seven dwarves who rally together to help Snow White reclaim the throne.
    Tarsem approaches the old fairy-tale of "Snow White" in an impressive and innovative way by adding a bit of feminism into the mix. It's a welcome female spin on the fairy-tale structure by having no heroic prince and making Snow White less of a damsel in distress and focusing more on her strengths. It's a good idea but sadly, that is where the new and improved story ends. The delivery is so painstakingly slow and dull that any positives are soon forgotten about and there's absolutely nothing else in the script that's noteworthy. This is a real shame as on the surface of it all, Tarsem has put the work in and his creative visual approach is as apparent as ever. However, with a story lacking in any form of excitement or wonder the superb visuals get bogged in a very tedious affair. It also doesn't help that the main focus is not on Snow White but on the evil Queen. Now this might have sounded good on paper but to deliver the goods on-screen, you need an actress that has gravitas and one with unquestionable ability. That actress is most certainly not Julia Roberts. She is given a juicy dual role and one that she could really have shown her range but, quite frankly, she blows it. Admittedly, I've never been a fan of her. I did like her in her Oscar winning role in "Erin Brockovich" but I struggle to think of any other memorable performance. This is proof again, that Roberts is highly overrated. Armie Hammer, on the other hand, adds a good bit of comic relief as the bumbling prince and Lily Collins makes an admirable Snow White; the least said about the dormant caterpillars that rest on her brow, the better though. Two words spring to mind - tweezers and pluck.
    Overall, a very disappointing modern take on an old classic and no matter how good it's dressed up, it's ultimately hollow underneath it's elaborate accoutrements.
    Rich in detail but poor in delivery. In this version, Snow White might not eat the poisoned apple and slip into a coma but the audience certainly do.
  • June 30, 2012
    I liked the part where the prince keeps coming to the Queen half naked :P

Critic Reviews

Cath Clarke
April 3, 2012
Cath Clarke, Time Out

'Mirror Mirror' is as gaudily spectacular as you expect if you've seen director Tarsem Singh's films, 'The Fall' and 'Immortals'. Full Review

Richard Roeper
March 31, 2012
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

'Mirror, Mirror' is a trippy version of the Snow White story. Full Review

Lisa Schwarzbaum
March 31, 2012
Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly

Mirror Mirror is a film that's all picture and no propulsion, each scene static in a basic set-decoration color scheme of teabag and banana. Full Review

Nick Pinkerton
March 30, 2012
Nick Pinkerton, Village Voice

Here, the familiar tale is retold with concessions to feminist self-determination and camp humor, bending the Grimm Brothers' tale without infringing on its basic beauty. Full Review

J. R. Jones
March 30, 2012
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

Singh is much more skilled as a visual artist than a storyteller, and his artistic fortunes seem to rise and fall with the inspiration of his screenwriters. In this case he's lucked out. Full Review

Peter Travers
March 30, 2012
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Who wants to see a fairy tale that weighs a ton? Mirror Mirror reflects badly on everyone involved. Full Review

Forrest Wickman
March 30, 2012
Forrest Wickman, Slate

Mirror Mirror is an odd little fantasia of a movie -- part jaunty adventure, part broad romantic comedy, part auteurist spectacle. Full Review

Linda Barnard
March 30, 2012
Linda Barnard, Toronto Star

This rambling version of Snow White's tale is a pretty, spun-sugar confection, airy as a plate of Easter egg-coloured macarons and similarly devoid of substance. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
March 30, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

The dwarves provide wonderful fun, Singh's visuals have true magic and Alan Menken's score is charming. Full Review

Leah Rozen
March 30, 2012
Leah Rozen, TheWrap

Part of Mirror's problem is that the screenplay, credited to two writers and with a third getting a story credit, is all over the place. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Alice in Wonderland
    Alice in Wonderland (73%)
  • Enchanted
    Enchanted (64%)
  • Cinderella
    Cinderella (100%)
  • The Brothers Grimm
    The Brothers Grimm (90%)

Facts

• Charles Renbock: There's, I'm in the same room as a prince crazy, and then there's good old fashioned plain traditional psycho crazy. I fear she's the latter.
    • The Evil Queen: Brighton, a word, please.
    • Brighton: Yes, Your Majesty.
    • The Evil Queen: Loose lips, sink ships.
    • Brighton: Yes, indeed, Your Majesty. Exactly which ship would you like sunk?
    • The Evil Queen: It's an expression, Brighton!
    • The King: You may now kiss the bride.
    • Prince Alcott: Do I have to say please?
    • Snow White: 'I'll go someplace far away where I can be safe from the queen but I know I will forever cherish our time together. Love, Snow.
    • Snow White: Well, at least it doesn't cause you to lose your pants.. I mean, when I met you first, you weren't wearing pants.
    • Prince Alcott: Yesss...
    • Snow White: At least now you're dressed, 'up', like a bunny.
    • Napoleon: Grub, I left you a tall stack of pancakes on the stove.
    • Grub: I don't want pancakes, I want Snow!

Mirror Mirror : Watch Free on TV

Mirror Mirror Trivia

• In what movie did Kevin Bacon say: " It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror."  Answer »
  • In which Disney film is there a Magic Mirror?  Answer »
  • In the movie"Inuyasha-movie 2"what is the name of the enchanted mirror that the moon/heaven princess has?  Answer »
  • Who plays Rose Morgan in the movie THe Mirror has Two Faces?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Mirror Mirror. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?