close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Vincent Regan, Joseph Gilgun, Lennie James ... see more see more... , Peter Stormare , Jacky Ido , Tim Plester , Mark Tankersley , Anne-Solenne Hatte , Peter Hudson , Nick Hardin , Bojan Peric , Thomas Kelly , Michael Sopko , Yan Dron , Milorad Kapor , Jason Ryan , Jovan B. Todorovic , Patrick Cauderlier

Starring Guy Pearce and Maggie Grace and set in the near future, Lockout follows a falsely convicted ex-government agent (Pearce), whose one chance at obtaining freedom lies in the dangerous mission o... read more read more...f rescuing the President's daughter (Grace) from rioting convicts at an outer space maximum-security prison. Lockout was directed by Stephen St. Leger and James Mather from their script co-written with Luc Besson, who is also a producer. Peter Stormare co-stars. -- (C) Open Road

Flixster Users

46% liked it

163,183 ratings

Critics

38% liked it

123 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

Directed by: James Mather, Stephen St. Leger

Release Date: April 13, 2012

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: July 17, 2012

Stats: 3,146 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (3,146)

• November 19, 2013
    An instant classic. It`s Escape From New York in space, a film with lots of ideas and great homages to other pictures. A spectacular and pulse-pounding great-time at the movies. It`s slick, wickedly funny and loaded with eye-popping action. A non-stop, action-packed adrenaline-ru... read moresh from start to finish. An explosive tour de force of fun that just dosent let up for a minute. Writer-Producer, Luc Besson does it again, delivering another compelling action film filled great characters, villains and a fun story. A great cast of stars deliver nothing but strength and fun to their roles. Guy Pearce is fantastic, he`s sharp, funny, cool and just plain awesome. Pearce is a charismatic and wickedly enjoyable action hero that you would not expect from his fierce and strong dramatic roles. Maggie Grace is excellent. Vincent Regan is outstanding. It`s smart, thrilling and tremendously entertaining. A pure roller-coaster ride that delivers 100% of excitement. A great movie. I loved it.
  • January 9, 2013
    Putting aside some truly shocking special effects, Lockout is a perfectly acceptable action film. I quite liked it in fact, the initial interviewing scene was really well done and even though the story was familiar, I liked what they did, and the characters/performances were all ... read moregood. I really like Guy Pearce as an action hero, he did a really good job of it. He's worth watching it for alone! Ignore the overly-harsh reviews and give it a go!
  • December 24, 2012
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img]

Over the years in which they've been churned out i've grown a weird fondness towards Luc Besson's exploitation B-Movie production stable. Though they have always prefered to carry plots free of realism a... read morend logic. Boasting scripts filled to the brim with stereotypical action wise cracks. At first, it was never necessarily a bad thing for me. I absolutely loved the Liam Neeson revenge flick Taken and i've always had a soft spot for The Transporter movies. I've always watched them with open minds and sometimes a good handful of his shlock can be enjoyed for cheesy pleasure despite their greatly unashamed stupidity. But what I can tell you, is that Lockout is not one of them. It's determination to be a deadly serious sci-fi thriller allows it to forget what it was that made so many other films in the area in which it exists so fun, and in equal measure how ridiculous the plot is. Guy Pearce's central performance lacks the strange charm of Jason Statham and Liam Neeson as unlikely hero's in Besson produced action vehicles. I also never found myself sympathising for Pearce's character, neither did I find his one-liners funny enough to maintain a witty script. He sort of attempts at Bruce Willis in Die Hard, it's easy to credit him for an attempt but alas the payoff is weak. The storyline itself is essentially "Con Space". It mashes up movies like Con Air with various plot points stolen from Die Hard and Assault on Precinct 13. But to little positive effect. Rather than taking inspiration from something great, it just ends up looking like an incredibly cheesy rip off. It also lacks the fun non-sensical action sequences seen in most Luc Besson fare. Honestly he produces stuff like this in his sleep, but somewhere in Lockout he must have slipped up. It doesn't help that the CGI is unconvincing which is necessary for this kind of movie. Plus the gag it builds a film around runs out of steam after the first 40 minutes or so. The bottom line is that although it's visually stylish, has worthwhile bad performances and tries to do something different it ends up being a lot less fun than it should be. I suppose when you start realising the logical flaws in a film about a heavily guarded prison overlooking the Earth you know the cheesy fun isn't going to start kicking in any time soon.
  • November 30, 2012
    A half decent almost comic book action film, with a slight feel of Escape from New York about it. Plenty of action to keep you entertained with a decent cast to, Joseph Gilgun has come a long way since Emmerdale! A bit cheesy but you know what to expect from this and it delivers.
  • November 16, 2012
    "This is one of those films where you can just shut your mind off and watch it in a numb state with drool running down your chin. It's not exciting or thrilling. It tries for some humor, but it ends up trying to hard which ends up being cheesy. I'm not sure if I've seen Guy Pearc... read moree in a film before. I thought he made for a good action star. I'm still not sure what I think about Maggie Grace. She was OK I guess. I will say this is a good film to pass the time with, but nothing I would see again."
  • November 11, 2012
    Snow: That'll freeze the nerves in this spot for 24 hours. You want some in your mouth? 

"Take no prisoners."

Lockout is just another low brain, high action movie; and for what it is, it's watchable. The movie moves at a quick pace, substituting intelligence for speed; but it a... read morell does make for a fun little viewing experience. There's a lot of moments when you'll find yourself laughing; not so much at the jokes the movie throws out, but at the ridiculousness of the film itself. I enjoy watching movies like this every once in awhile though. First off, it gives us more appreciation for movies that are actually good, and the second reason is because I'm not so pretentious as to say these movies are completely worthless. It entertained, and I guess that's all I can really ask for. I knew what I was getting myself into in the first place.

Snow has just been convicted of a crime he didn't commit. When a space prison is taken over by the prisoners, hostages are taken. One of which just so happens to be the presidents daughter. Snow is then given a chance of freedom, if he can get into the free falling prison and save the presidents daughter. Snow is a tough guy that can't just answer a question. He's always got to a smart ass. 

As far as the movie goes, it's entertaining, but it's missing some vital things; such as characters that actually make sense and dialogue that actually sounds real. The movie looks good for the most part though, and you gotta love the whole prison in space thing. It's one of those movie you just need to leave your brain at the door for. If you are willing to do that, you should be able to find some enjoyment in it. If you can't(and I don't blame you), this is going to be a movie to forget. Actually you'll probable forget it if you liked it or not.

As far as recommending this movie goes, I would never do that. I don't like suggesting movies that will make the already stupid population even stupider. If you like high action movies, with cool concepts, but no real execution or intelligence, this is a movie that you can get by on. I don't think it necessarily deserves to be thrown out, but it's easy to see why Lockout isn't going to be touted as a science fiction classic.
  • November 10, 2012
    Silly, crazy, borderline obnoxious, but a fun carefree afternoon popcorn flick.
  • October 7, 2012
    Really...really...not good. This is Guy Pearce's hammiest performance that I have seen. Still, it's somewhat diverting on an afternoon when you're looking to vege-out.
  • August 26, 2012
    Not sure why it took two people to direct this film, but James Mather and Stephen St. Leger conjure up some amusement with Lockout.

Just reaching 90 minutes, the plot for Lockout is straightforward, paced with high velocity, and contains very little in twists and

... read moreturns. Fortunately, it contains a lead character worth watching.

The action isn't even close in abundance as this science fiction adventure could and should have used. Aside from an out of place segment with obvious CG in the film's first act, the rest of the effects and settings get by.

Guy Pearce is the highlight, thanks to the sarcastic cocky attitude and witty dialogue that carry most of the film. His character really does make up for the less impressive elements of the production. Maggie Grace ends up along for the ride, but is a nice watch, especially in a story full of male prisoners.

At the end of the day, Lockout plays out as a quick mindless adventure. Enough said.

• fb100000145236770
    August 18, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    "Lockout" is a futuristic story where the government sends an ex convict, Snow(Guy Pearce) to a maximum-security prison to save the Presidents Daughter(Maggie Grace). I saw somewhere where this was compared to "Die Hard" and I can see that. The biggest difference is "Die Hard" ... read moreis a GREAT movie, this is a "meh, just ok" movie. The effects are cheesy, and the dialogue is even cheesier. Snow is a wise cracker, who has a one liner every five minutes, and maybe 2 of them are good. Guy Pearce is good, and he usually is in anything, but he feels out of place. Just something about it makes me think someone else would have been better, but I don't really know who I would choose. The story goes just like you think it would, with a twist you will see coming. If you like futuristic action flicks, you could do worse, but you can find a lot better. Worth a watch if it's free, but I wouldn't pay money to see this.

Critic Reviews

David Denby
April 23, 2012
David Denby, New Yorker

At the screening, in between laughing fits, people around me whispered, in awed tones, "B movie, 1956." Full Review

J. R. Jones
April 13, 2012
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

It's clichéd, ridiculous, and very entertaining. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
April 13, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

The tag-team of filmmakers seems to have only two ideas - having stupendously ugly characters shove their mugs into the camera, or staging action sequences so dizzily you have no idea what's going on. Full Review

William Goss
April 13, 2012
William Goss, Film.com

Does a fine job of continually coming up with obstacle after obstacle for our two leads to dodge - not the least of which happens to be good, old-fashioned logic. Full Review

Michael O'Sullivan
April 13, 2012
Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post

"Lockout" is meat-and-potatoes filmmaking at its most basic. Full Review

Kyle Smith
April 13, 2012
Kyle Smith, New York Post

It's the kind of movie where someone tumbling in space above the earth's atmosphere opens a parachute and lands gently on earth without even gasping for a breath. Full Review

Rick Groen
April 13, 2012
Rick Groen, Globe and Mail

It does a splendid job of putting the pale into imitation and draining the life out of derivative. Full Review

Rafer Guzman
April 13, 2012
Rafer Guzman, Newsday

There's cheap, and then there's this rip-off. Full Review

Mick LaSalle
April 13, 2012
Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

Most of the time "Lockout" is pleasant enough, not something to recommend to a friend, but enjoyable in the moment. Full Review

Betsy Sharkey
April 12, 2012
Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times

Mostly "Lockout" is lost in space. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Escape Plan
    Escape Plan (100%)
  • Death Race
    Death Race (75%)
  • Escape from New York
    Escape from New York (100%)
  • Con Air
    Con Air (100%)

Facts

• Emilie Warnock: So what do I call you?
    • Snow: You know what, don't call me.
    • Agent Snow: Shhh!
    • Emilie Warnock: Did you hear something?
    • Agent Snow: No, I'm just enjoying the silence.
    • Agent Snow: Shush. Don't saying anything.
    • Emilie Warnock: What, do you hear something?
    • Agent Snow: No, I just wanted you to be quiet for a second.
    • Emilie Warnock: What's that?
    • Agent Snow: It's to stop the bleeding, and hopefully the talking.
    • Snow: Here's an apple and a gun. Don't talk to strangers.
    • Snow: Loved da way u made smoking look good again!

Lockout (Unrated) : Watch Free on TV

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Lockout (Unrated). Want to create one?

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?