Lawless
Lawless (2012)

Lawless is the true story of the infamous Bondurant Brothers: bootlegging siblings who made a run for the American Dream in Prohibition-era Virginia. In this epic gangster tale, inspired by true-life tales of author Matt Bondurant's… More

Directed By:
Rated: R
Running Time:
Genre: Drama
Release Date: November 27, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
67%
Flixster
User Score
75%

Critic Score: 67% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Grim, bloody, and utterly flawed, Lawless doesn't quite achieve the epic status it strains for, but it's too beautifully filmed and powerfully acted to dismiss.

David Thomson
The New Republic

It's slight and casual to the point of laziness, but it's straight fun, done with knowledge and a laconic pleasure. You could do far worse.

Full review…
Peter Travers
Rolling Stone

With a dynamite cast, an iconic screenwriter in rocker Nick Cave and an Aussie director in John Hillcoat, you assume a new classic. What you get is an ambitious try.

Full review…
Nicolas Rapold
Film Comment Magazine

Hillcoat makes a foray into Virginia's Prohibition-era moonshine country. But the adaptation (by Hillcoat compadre Nick Cave) is a hokey piece of pop history that wearyingly insists upon its own mythos like a comic-book blockbuster.

Full review…
Anthony Lane
New Yorker

The center of narrative gravity is hard to locate; for whom are we rooting, and does anything really ripple outward from this nasty local fight?

Full review…
John Anderson
Wall Street Journal

You can sense the filth, and smell the rust, and feel the ingrained poverty that might well convince a family of survivors (of World War I and the Spanish flu) to make their fortune selling moonshine to their neighbors.

Full review…
John Hanlon
Big Hollywood

This fact-based drama succeeds because of its great cast and its strong story of loyalty and brotherhood.

Full review…
J. R. Jones
Chicago Reader

Fans of The Proposition will have to settle for sublimely evil performances by Gary Oldman (as a murderous rival) and Guy Pearce (as a government agent) and a large quotient of gut-wrenching violence.

Full review…
Dana Stevens
Slate

There's something at the movie's heart that remains flimsy and inauthentic, a kid in his older brother's ill-fitting shoes.

Full review…
Will Leitch
Deadspin

The movie is smart and focused on what it's trying to be.

Full review…
More reviews for Lawless

Flixster Audience Score: 75% Flixster User Reviews
xGary Xx
Three brothers in the bootlegging business during the prohibition era refuse to bow to the will of Chicago gangsters and provoke a war between their backwoods… More
Anthony Lawrie
A great film but I'd be lying if I'd say that I wasn't expecting more from director John Hillcoat. It's a great film though, I thought it… More
Phil Hubbs
A film about redneck moonshine bootleggers, well yeehaw!. Apparently this is an adaptation of a book which recounts true events from 1931 in the USA. The story… More
Film Crazy
What was even the point of having one of the greatest actors alive in a five minute role, i love Gary Oldman it was a shame we didnt see more of him! All in all… More
Nikhil Nandu
Lawless is amazingly well-acted and shot, while its story seems lacking. It is dark and violent and entertaining. Even more impressive is the fact that Lawless… More
Bruce Bruce
We are in prohibition time, in the countryside in Virginia. The men are tough and they enforce their own law protecting their moonshine businesses. However they… More