Joyful Noise
Joyful Noise (2012)

The small town of Pacashau, Georgia, has fallen on hard times, but the people are counting on the Divinity Church Choir to lift their spirits by winning the National Joyful Noise Competition. The choir has always known how to sing in… More

Directed By:
Rated: PG-13
Running Time:
Genre: Comedy
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
33%
Flixster
User Score
66%

Critic Score: 33% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews

Consensus: Joyful Noise's musical numbers are solidly entertaining, and it benefits from Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton's sizable chemistry; unfortunately, they aren't enough to make up for the rest of the film.

Guy Lodge
Time Out

[A] mostly sweet-natured rehash of 'Sister Act 2' by way of 'Glee'...

Full review…
Eric D. Snider
Film.com

Has the good fortune of being acted with enthusiasm by a very appealing cast, or else it would be completely unbearable instead of just mundane.

Full review…
David Keyes
Cinemaphile.org

Noise it is, joyful it is not.

Full review…
Colin Covert
Minneapolis Star Tribune

"Joyful Noise" is a sort of Wal-Mart movie, not exactly trendsetting but a decent enough offering for the heartland.

Full review…
Richard Roeper
Richard Roeper.com

This movie is a cloying, over-the-top, cheesy sing-a-long that makes "Glee" seem subtle.

Full review…
Andy Lea
Daily Star

In what ends up as a nightmarish fusion of Glee and Sister Act 2, a mixed-race church choir makes a bid for glory by painfully "Christianising" scraps of once perfectly acceptable pop songs.

Full review…
David Edelstein
New York Magazine/Vulture

You'll find yourself rolling your eyes, but you'll have more fun if you try to roll them in time with the rollicking numbers.

Full review…
Glenn Kenny
MSN Movies

[It] bears almost all the liabilities one gets from current studio product, including bloating.

Full review…
Catherine Bray
Film4

If you've the slightest aversion to camp, you should obviously steer clear. But then this film was never for you. It's for the spiritual year-round inhabitants of Dollywood.

Full review…
More reviews for Joyful Noise

Flixster Audience Score: 66% Flixster User Reviews
♥˩ƳИИ ƜѲѲƉƧ♥
"Joyful Noise was indeed joyful. I liked it. I thought it had an essence of Glee and Sister Act going for it. The movie had a lot of emotions going on in… More
jay nixon
Formulaic entertainment that suffers whenever Queen Latifah or Dolly Parton is off the screen. They are both in fine voice although it's a horror show what… More
Cynthia S.
Corny, sappy and predictable, but I expected that. Big payoff at the end, which I expected and enjoyed. The rest of the movie was average at best. Dolly… More
Markus Robinson
God loves bad movies. Kris Kristofferson, who briefly co-stars in this movie, had the right idea of dying within the first minute of "Joyful Noise".… More
Everett Johnson
Who would have ever said "man I wish Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah made a movie together"? Well, someone did and they did. This is a… More
Panta Oz
This musical, starring Queen Latifah, Dolly Parton, Keke Palmer, Courtney B. Vance, Francis Jue, and introducing Jeremy Jordan was written and directed by Todd… More