close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Robert Hays, Kim Greist, Jean Smart, Benji Thall, Michael J. Fox ... see more see more... , Veronica Lauren , Don Ameche , Sally Field , Kevin Timothy Chevalia , Don Adler , Ed Bernard , Ted D'Arms , Woody Eney , Rich Hawkins , Jane Jones , Dave MacIntyre , Kit McDonough , Mary Marsh , William Edward Phipps , Frank Roberts , Gary Taylor , Mark L. Taylor , Frank Welker , Jesse Merz

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, Disney's 1993 remake of the 1963 hit The Incredible Journey, follows three household pets as they travel across mountains and plains on their way to find their ... read more read more...owners. A misunderstanding leads the animals to mistakenly believe that they have been abandoned by their loved ones, when in reality they have been left in the care of a friend while the family has moved from the country to the city for the father to take a temporary assignment . All three pets--a golden retriever (Don Ameche), a cat (Sally Field), and a bulldog puppy (Michael J. Fox)--can talk, and they bicker and crack jokes as they set off on a truly incredible journey chock full of misadventures as they wend their way back to their owners. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Rovi

Flixster Users

70% liked it

266,091 ratings

Critics

88% liked it

24 critics

G, 1 hr. 25 min.

Directed by: Duwayne Dunham

Release Date: February 3, 1993

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: December 2, 1997

Stats: 11,510 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (11,510)

• July 29, 2012
    Sweet and likable for all the family. Years after, The Incredible Journey still a delight remarkable odyssey and a Disney classic.
  • February 18, 2012
    My animal-movie loving mania continues. I seem to remember a black and white version of this movie, but maybe I'm hallucinating nostalgia. I definitely read the book. It's a great story--what animal lover doesn't fear being separated from a beloved pet and then doesn't fantasy ... read moreabout that pet finding their way back to you? It bordered on sentimentality (it is Disney after all) but I cried at the end so there you have it.
  • January 22, 2012
    It's the rare remake that works and improves upon its inspiration. I grew up with this film and I still cry every time I watch it. So much care was put into making this film, and it sucessfully respects the original and doesn't try to be hip for the new generation audience but ra... read morether goes in the better direction of good storytelling. The voice acting is also well done so there isn't really anything to dislike about Homeward Bound.
  • November 8, 2011
    Homeward Bound-The Incredible Journey is the perfect family film. The film may not be flawless, but for what it is, it's a fun, charming film that kids and adults can enjoy. The film is good fun. The voice talents are good in their parts, and you see that they have fun with the m... read moreaterial. Homeward Bound is a fun family film for anyone looking for good entertainment. The film has a good story, a good cast and good adventure. Homeward Bound is a good film that the entire family can enjoy. With a good cast, this film is worth watching, and this is simply an amusing film. The film may not be perfect, but it's entertaining enough to appeal to the family, and it's simply a good adventure film. The film is charming and the cast do a good job with their parts. The script is well written, and the film succeeds at being a piece of nostalgia from your childhood, that is if you've seen it when you were younger. The voice over of the animals is a clever touch, and considering that this film came out around the same time as Beethoven, this is a far better family film with a better story, better acting, and above all, much more original concept. This the better film to watch and unlike Beethoven, which is tiring, stupid, and poorly constructed, Homeward Bound is still a good film after all these years. The film is very enjoyable whether you're a child or not, and it's an adventurous story that will appeal to the child in all of us.
  • August 28, 2011
    As far as family films go, this one seems like one of the sweetest and least annoying. As a kid I dug this because I thought it was a really fresh and neat thing. The film hasn't held up perfectly, but it's still a nice little adventure story about endurance and the meaning of fr... read moreiendship.

I think I really like this film because it's about all of that, but through the eyes of pets. The film doesn't really get into providing the sort of commentary it could have (it's a children's/family film, after all), but it's still fun, and I really like the location shooting and cinematography.

For what it is, it's entertaining stuff, even if it's far from original, and the whole use of big name celebrity voices became old and tired far too long ago.
  • May 18, 2011
    It's cute that these animals can talk and have to find their way home after being lost, but that's all it is, cute. It's not an amazing adventure or anything, but it's an okay movie with a good voice cast.
  • April 5, 2011
    These days, talking animal movies come and go. But no other film featuring talking animals stays closer to my heart than "Homeward Bound". Oh, what an epic title.

The film tells of two dogs and a cat. The dogs are Chance and Shadow and the dog is a sassy feline named Sassy. Th... read moreey are sent to a realative's farm while their family is vacationing. After a while, our animal heroes can not put up with the farm, they become homeward bound and set off a journey to find their family and get back home. They embark on a perilous trip where they find themselves running away from bears, drowning, and even being impounded.

This is a moving film that really makes you stand up and cheer at the end. We become attatched to these characters for an hour and a half and boy, is it a pleasure. It is indeed a kids movie so you shouldn't be expecting it to be something like "Lawrence of Arabia". "Homeward Bound" has very good dialogue. Very good for a talking animal film. The film is well-structered and has a good momentum. I'm especially happy on how the animals didn't really talk in the film, they had voiceovers. More tolerable, ain't it? Bad CGI lip movement is absent.

Wonderful film with great characters and a beast premise.

"Are we going in circles? That tree smells familiar."
  • August 2, 2010
    Not a masterpiece...but I dug it.
  • May 30, 2010
    shows what true friendship is.
  • fb733768972
    January 27, 2010
    fb733768972
    Great Story! I loved this dog film from beginning to the wofy end!

Critic Reviews

Brian Lowry
May 12, 2008
Brian Lowry, Variety

A sprightly little entertainment that should enthrall tots without straining the patience of their parents. Full Review

Jeff Menell
May 12, 2008
Jeff Menell, Hollywood Reporter

[A] delightful remake.

Wally Hammond
February 9, 2006
Wally Hammond, Time Out

Totally uncorrupting. Full Review

Janet Maslin
May 20, 2003
Janet Maslin, New York Times

This film is clever even with its human actors, dispensing with the first film's animal-loving hermits and playing up the importance of a cute, newly typical American family. Full Review

Desson Thomson
January 1, 2000
Desson Thomson, Washington Post

Even the most televisionally overstimulated will likely enjoy this boy-and-his-dog movie -- which also happens to be a girl-and-her-cat movie too. Full Review

Roger Ebert
January 1, 2000
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

It has a certain craftsmanship and an undeniable charm, and if you find yourself watching it with a child you may end up liking it almost as much. Full Review

Megan Rosenfeld
January 1, 2000
Megan Rosenfeld, Washington Post

Matters are accomplished by director Duwayne Dunham with fairly professional skill. Full Review

James Berardinelli
January 1, 2000
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

As an episode of The Wonderful World of Disney, it would be fine, but as a major motion picture, it's disappointing. Full Review

Ty Burr
February 3, 1993
Ty Burr, Entertainment Weekly

having suffered with my human through the dim-witted Beethoven and the dreadful Bingo, I found Homeward Bound to be a breath of animal-oriented realism, voice-overs or no. Full Review

Robert Roten
April 4, 2011
Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope

This film will appeal to anyone of any age who doesn't have a heart of stone. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Eight Below
    Eight Below (74%)
  • The Adventures of Milo and Otis
    The Adventures of Milo and Otis (84%)
  • Homeward Bound II - Lost in San Francisco
    Homeward Bound II - Lost in San Francisco (89%)
  • Lassie
    Lassie (100%)

Facts

• Sassy--The Cat: Shadow is that people?
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Yes Sassy I'm going to find them.
    • Chance--The Bulldog: What, no, no strangers Shadow they'll take us to the pound they'll lock us up we'll never come out again!
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: They're just looking for the little girl chance she needs us we have to help.
    • Chance--The Bulldog: Okay I just hope you know what you're doing I don't want to back there again ever.
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Don't worry, Sassy you keep her warm I'll be right back.
    • Sassy--The Cat: Hurry Shadow!
    • Chance--The Bulldog: Ow ow! He bit me with his butt!
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Oh chance you really are a 'bull' dog aren't you?
    • Chance--The Bulldog: I was just curious!
    • Sassy--The Cat: Like my mother always said, "Curiosity killed the dog."
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Sassy can you pull those things out?
    • Sassy--The Cat: I'll try.
    • Chance--The Bulldog: Ow Sassy you got my lip!
    • Sassy--The Cat: Relax I'm a professional!
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: They look like they're in deep.
    • Sassy--The Cat: Really deep.
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Whatever you do don't lick yourself!
    • Chance--The Bulldog: Jerk!
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: [seeing his owner] Peter.
    • Peter: SHADOW!
    • Shadow--The Golden Retriever: Oh, Peter. I've missed you so much. [both run towards each other] PETER! [they embrace]
    • Chance--The Bulldog: I love you, Shadow.
    • Sassy--The Cat: [some dogs are flirting with her] Oh, great. 'Catcalls'.
    • Chance--The Bulldog: [looking inside a log] Hey, what's that smell? It smells interesting. [something makes a noise, Chance gets out of the log & flees. [a skunk comes out, laughing.]

Homeward Bound - ... : Watch Free on TV

Homeward Bound - The Incredible Journey Trivia

Homeward Bound - The Incredible J... Trivia

• This actor was in Back To The Future I-III, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, and The American President  Answer »
  • what movie has 2 dog and a cat trying to get home?  Answer »
  • What were the 2 dogs names in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey?  Answer »
  • What movie does this line come from, "He bit me with his butt!"  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Video Clips

No video clips yet. Want to upload one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?