Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Cameron Diaz, Tom Courtenay, Stanley Tucci ... see more see more... , Cloris Leachman , Jennifer Aniston , Ben Kingsley , Lisa Bonet

Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz headline this remake of the 1966 crime caper directed by Michael Hoffman (The Last Station) and written by Joel and Ethan Coen. A British thief (Firth) discovers that no p... read more read more...lan is infallible when he recruits a beautiful woman (Diaz) to help him steal a priceless statue from an impossibly wealthy widower (Alan Rickman). Despite the fact that his pretty accomplice bears an uncanny resemblance to his affluent target's late wife, things quickly spin out of control once the job gets under way. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Flixster Users

23% liked it

4,573 ratings

Critics

18% liked it

40 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 29 min.

Directed by: Michael Hoffman

Release Date: April 25, 2014

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: May 27, 2014

Stats: 326 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (326)

• June 30, 2014
    Art Scam Flick Rings Hollow.

Mediocre Comedy! The film is very short, and when it ends you wonder what possessed the Coen Brothers to make it. Cameron Diaz is extremely irritating and the character goes nowhere. Tom Courtenay was wasted in his role and some of the so called funn... read morey situations are too contrived ie when they book into the London hotel. The twists in the tale aren't twists at all, just cop outs. It just seems a pointless film and is not clever or funny enough. Colin Firth is a brilliant actor but sometimes his lightweight film choices are very strange. A disappointment.

Curator Harry Deane is an expert in fine art, but he's equally accomplished in taking abuse from his insolent boss. That's about to change. The plan - trick the avid art collector into buying a fake Monet painting. To assist in the heist, Deane hires a rowdy Texas cowgirl to help him fool the richest man in England. But as the plan begins to unravel, Deane finds he is falling in love with the rodeo queen, ensuing further complications.
  • June 4, 2014
    Average film saved by the charm of Colin Firth and Alan Rickman but almost scuttled by Cameron Diaz's dinner theatre quality performance of a part that should have been played by Reese Witherspoon.
  • November 12, 2013
    Gambit, the remake of 1966's Gambit, was panned on release. However, it was the critics who panned it, no one I know has actually seen it. Shame really, because it's actually quite good. The Brits aren't misrepresented for a change, instead the characters are self-aware and the c... read moreomedy is played by reality instead of misconception. I thought the physical comedy was as good as the writing and that the writing was very strong. It's not a carbon copy of the original, it has the same theme but tells it in a refreshingly new format. I really liked it, I think it's a real shame it passed by unnoticed and unloved!
  • March 29, 2013
    An average comedy\heist plot, Rickman is amazing and Firth is your charming English gent, average but more enjoyable for the cast!
  • March 14, 2013
    This remake of a movie with the same name from 1966 with Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine didn't show anything new and exciting! This version is directed by Michael Hoffman, and starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz, Alan Rickman and Stanley Tucci. From the script by Joel and Etha... read moren Coen to the acting - everything is somehow average and bland. I wouldn't say it is a bad movie - simply has no 'taste' you can remember after leaving the cinema!

I thought that the story of the British art curator Harry Deane would interest me, especially when he decides to seek revenge on his abusive boss Lord Shabandar by conning him into buying a fake Monet ("Haystacks at Dusk")... somehow during the watching that interest evaporated. Even the unpredictable Texas rodeo queen, PJ Puznowski couldn't bring it back.

This movie had its problems since beginning, and seems every single thing left a trace. Uninspiring Firth keeps his performance grounded in downbeat realism, Diaz never convinces anyone that she is a sassy trailer-park princess, and Rickman's villain has cartoon(ish) characteristics which are simply nothing plausible. If you have nothing better to do, like me, sit down and watch this with your wife...
  • sayers1977
    July 9, 2014
    sayers1977
    Unfortunately this film doesn't really work. I don't doubt that the original was ripe for a remake and the idea is sound but whereas the first film spent a good third illustrating the 'perfect plan' this does it all in 5 minutes and then spends the rest of the film trying to be a... read more screwball comedy. Firth is good in the lead role but Diaz looks out of place and they have no chemistry together. Rickman is wasted and just plays 'annoying and angry'. Can't really believe this was written by the Coen Brothers as it has none of the skill that they normally show in their scripts. A wasted opportunity.
  • July 26, 2014
    An enjoyable reimagining of the classic Sixties film. It retains most of the basic plot elements of the original in a different time and setting. This new version is not as flashy and hilarious as the original but it is very funny in the more subtle, sardonic fashion of British c... read moreomedy. Diaz, Firth, Rickman and Tucci all give excellent performances. A more traditional story than one might expect from a screenplay by the Coen brothers but quite enjoyable.
  • fb704666045
    May 30, 2014
    fb704666045
    Or Alan Rickman Butchers A Southern Accent... Again!

So the accents aren't the worst things about this film, unfortunately. The performances don't work, and I can see the Coen Brothers DNA on this, but it feels transplanted. This doesn't feel like a Coen Brothers script, it feel... read mores like someone trying to do a Coen Brothers script. I don't know how they left their names attached to this, but I couldn't make it all the way through.
  • ThomasJayWilliams
    July 22, 2013
    ThomasJayWilliams
    The Coen Brothers actually wrote this thing?! I would say that was almost blasphemous if it were not true. Gambit is an almost as average-as-movies-get art heist comedy about art curator Harry (Colin Firth - The King's Speech) who is seeking sweet revenge on his puffed-up, abus... read moreive, narcissistic, richer-than-god boss Lionel (Alan Rickman - Harry Potter). Harry's revenge will be to con Lionel into buying a fake Monet with the help of a very blonde Texan rodeo queen named PJ (Cameron Diaz - The Mask) after concocting a story about a long-lost piece of art turning up in the states after the fall of the Nazi regime in the 1940s. Knowing that Lionel will pay anything for a priceless Monet, Harry believes the heist will be an easy one (as he is also Lionel's appraiser). Only ... Harry is about to be replaced by Martin Zaidenweber (Stanley Tucci - The Devil Wears Prada) and Lionel takes a romantic liking to PJ which leads to all kinds of complications and nonsensical buffoonery. Diaz is over-the-top in her role (the accent ... ugh ... the accent!) but both Firth and Rickman give decent performances (as always) and Tucci actually has little to do other than attempt to speak in some unrecognizable dialect. I can assume the Coen names being attached to the film made my expectations for this film higher than they should have been because there is nothing really bad here (other than Diaz) ... it just isn't overly good. It wants to be a comic romp but it isn't much of one and it turns out to be more of a drag because it is so UN-Coen-esque. There are some laughs but most of the film feels put-upon and generic. It is a fake Monet ... although I couldn't ever see this being confused for a great.

Critic Reviews

Jesse Hassenger
May 1, 2014
Jesse Hassenger, AV Club

When the movie veers away from the verbal gymnastics of a bunch of colorful dopes out-dumbing one another and into overindulged farce, the specificity of the Coens' writing begins to fade. Full Review

Nicolas Rapold
April 27, 2014
Nicolas Rapold, New York Times

This nominal remake of the 1966 art caper that starred Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine has all the fizz of flat soda ... Full Review

Farran Smith Nehme
April 24, 2014
Farran Smith Nehme, New York Post

"Gambit" is a trans-Atlantic delivery of "meh." Full Review

Joe Neumaier
April 24, 2014
Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News

Firth is solid as always. He fits his tailored suits and rectangular glasses to a T. Diaz fares less well. Full Review

Trevor Johnston
November 13, 2012
Trevor Johnston, Time Out

'Gambit' is like drinking cheap, warm champagne from a plastic cup. Full Review

Stephen Dalton
November 8, 2012
Stephen Dalton, Hollywood Reporter

Even with a script by the Coen brothers, and a classy international cast led by Colin Firth, this contemporary London caper movie falls far short of its potential even as a lightweight comic romp. Full Review

Leslie Felperin
November 8, 2012
Leslie Felperin, Variety

Middling in every respect. Full Review

Brian Costello
July 8, 2014
Brian Costello, Common Sense Media

So-so remake of '60s caper has slapstick, brief nudity. Full Review

Todd Jorgenson
June 30, 2014
Todd Jorgenson, Cinemalogue.com

... feels like a first draft of a dusty script that was pulled from the bottom of a drawer without being polished prior to production. Full Review

Noel Murray
May 27, 2014
Noel Murray, The Dissolve

Firth and Diaz, game as they are, look lost and disappointed most of the time during Gambit, as though they pictured themselves making Burn After Reading, and instead found themselves in The Ladykillers. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Thomas Crown Affair
    The Thomas Crown Affair (0%)

Facts

No facts approved yet. Be the first

Gambit : Watch Free on TV

Gambit Trivia

• Which X-Men character does not appear in the movies?  Answer »
  • True or false?, In X-Men the last stand, Channing Tatum auditioned for the role of Gambit.   Answer »
  • In all of the X-Men Series what popular X-Men Character is not represented?  Answer »
  • ________ auditioned for the role of Gambit in X-Men: The Last Stand, but was not cast as the character was eventually removed from the film.  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Gambit. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?