Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Cameron Diaz, Tom Courtenay, Stanley Tucci ... see more see more... , Cloris Leachman , Jennifer Aniston , Ben Kingsley , Lisa Bonet

Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz headline this remake of the 1966 crime caper directed by Michael Hoffman (The Last Station) and written by Joel and Ethan Coen. A British thief (Firth) discovers that no p... read more read more...lan is infallible when he recruits a beautiful woman (Diaz) to help him steal a priceless statue from an impossibly wealthy widower (Alan Rickman). Despite the fact that his pretty accomplice bears an uncanny resemblance to his affluent target's late wife, things quickly spin out of control once the job gets under way. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Flixster Users

80% want to see it

3,115 ratings

Critics

19% liked it

31 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 29 min.

Directed by: Michael Hoffmann

Invite friends to see

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (256)

• November 12, 2013
    Gambit, the remake of 1966's Gambit, was panned on release. However, it was the critics who panned it, no one I know has actually seen it. Shame really, because it's actually quite good. The Brits aren't misrepresented for a change, instead the characters are self-aware and the c... read moreomedy is played by reality instead of misconception. I thought the physical comedy was as good as the writing and that the writing was very strong. It's not a carbon copy of the original, it has the same theme but tells it in a refreshingly new format. I really liked it, I think it's a real shame it passed by unnoticed and unloved!
  • March 29, 2013
    An average comedy\heist plot, Rickman is amazing and Firth is your charming English gent, average but more enjoyable for the cast!
  • March 14, 2013
    This remake of a movie with the same name from 1966 with Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine didn't show anything new and exciting! This version is directed by Michael Hoffman, and starring Colin Firth, Cameron Diaz, Alan Rickman and Stanley Tucci. From the script by Joel and Etha... read moren Coen to the acting - everything is somehow average and bland. I wouldn't say it is a bad movie - simply has no 'taste' you can remember after leaving the cinema!

I thought that the story of the British art curator Harry Deane would interest me, especially when he decides to seek revenge on his abusive boss Lord Shabandar by conning him into buying a fake Monet ("Haystacks at Dusk")... somehow during the watching that interest evaporated. Even the unpredictable Texas rodeo queen, PJ Puznowski couldn't bring it back.

This movie had its problems since beginning, and seems every single thing left a trace. Uninspiring Firth keeps his performance grounded in downbeat realism, Diaz never convinces anyone that she is a sassy trailer-park princess, and Rickman's villain has cartoon(ish) characteristics which are simply nothing plausible. If you have nothing better to do, like me, sit down and watch this with your wife...
  • ThomasJayWilliams
    July 22, 2013
    ThomasJayWilliams
    The Coen Brothers actually wrote this thing?! I would say that was almost blasphemous if it were not true. Gambit is an almost as average-as-movies-get art heist comedy about art curator Harry (Colin Firth - The King's Speech) who is seeking sweet revenge on his puffed-up, abus... read moreive, narcissistic, richer-than-god boss Lionel (Alan Rickman - Harry Potter). Harry's revenge will be to con Lionel into buying a fake Monet with the help of a very blonde Texan rodeo queen named PJ (Cameron Diaz - The Mask) after concocting a story about a long-lost piece of art turning up in the states after the fall of the Nazi regime in the 1940s. Knowing that Lionel will pay anything for a priceless Monet, Harry believes the heist will be an easy one (as he is also Lionel's appraiser). Only ... Harry is about to be replaced by Martin Zaidenweber (Stanley Tucci - The Devil Wears Prada) and Lionel takes a romantic liking to PJ which leads to all kinds of complications and nonsensical buffoonery. Diaz is over-the-top in her role (the accent ... ugh ... the accent!) but both Firth and Rickman give decent performances (as always) and Tucci actually has little to do other than attempt to speak in some unrecognizable dialect. I can assume the Coen names being attached to the film made my expectations for this film higher than they should have been because there is nothing really bad here (other than Diaz) ... it just isn't overly good. It wants to be a comic romp but it isn't much of one and it turns out to be more of a drag because it is so UN-Coen-esque. There are some laughs but most of the film feels put-upon and generic. It is a fake Monet ... although I couldn't ever see this being confused for a great.

Critic Reviews

Trevor Johnston
November 13, 2012
Trevor Johnston, Time Out

'Gambit' is like drinking cheap, warm champagne from a plastic cup. Full Review

Stephen Dalton
November 8, 2012
Stephen Dalton, Hollywood Reporter

Even with a script by the Coen brothers, and a classy international cast led by Colin Firth, this contemporary London caper movie falls far short of its potential even as a lightweight comic romp. Full Review

Leslie Felperin
November 8, 2012
Leslie Felperin, Variety

Middling in every respect. Full Review

James Croot
May 9, 2013
James Croot, Flicks.co.nz

The right level of farce, tasteful nudity and general shenanigans for the film to not outstay its welcome, while admittedly not lingering long in the memory. Full Review

Brian Orndorf
May 2, 2013
Brian Orndorf, Blu-ray.com

It's a fair comedy that's inoffensive and evocative of a different era, filled with enough eccentricity and sharp delivery to embrace as pleasant nonsense from two screenwriters exceptionally skilled ... Full Review

Ed Whitfield
November 27, 2012
Ed Whitfield, The Ooh Tray

It's mirthless, languid and obvious. Well, you can relate. Full Review

Rich Cline
November 26, 2012
Rich Cline, Contactmusic.com

Remade from a 1966 romp starring Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine, this con artist action-comedy is enjoyably silly but never much more than that. Full Review

Philip French
November 25, 2012
Philip French, Observer [UK]

A flat-footed remake of a mildly amusing 1966 caper movie ... Full Review

Donald Clarke
November 24, 2012
Donald Clarke, Irish Times

Given the quality of the film, we must assume that these Coens are no relation to the siblings who make films that rarely encourage you to poke out your eyes with rusty scissors. Full Review

Charlotte O'Sullivan
November 23, 2012
Charlotte O'Sullivan, This is London

The mood isn't so much vintage as instantly old-hat. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Thomas Crown Affair
    The Thomas Crown Affair (0%)

Facts

No facts approved yet. Be the first

Gambit : Watch Free on TV

Gambit Trivia

• Which X-Men character does not appear in the movies?  Answer »
  • True or false?, In X-Men the last stand, Channing Tatum auditioned for the role of Gambit.   Answer »
  • In all of the X-Men Series what popular X-Men Character is not represented?  Answer »
  • ________ auditioned for the role of Gambit in X-Men: The Last Stand, but was not cast as the character was eventually removed from the film.  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Gambit. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?