close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Patricia Clarkson, Jenna Elfman, Bryan Greenberg ... see more see more... , Richard Jenkins , Woody Harrelson , Nolan Gould , Andy Samberg , Shaun White , Andrew Fleming , Catherine Reitman , Courtney Henggeler , Masi Oka , Tiya Sircar , Christopher T. Wood , Emma Stone , Lili Mirojnick , Rupak Ginn , Duane Shepard, Sr. , Chike Johnson , Angelique Cabral , Lance Kerfuffle , Jerry Ying , Jerry Hyman , Nick Lee , Jason Sung Lee , Michael Morris , Brooklyn McLinn , Timothy Bish , Angel Feliciano , Nicole Guidetti , Mayumi Miguel , Joanna Numata , Wes Pope , Seth Stewart , LaJon Dantzler , Laura Fremont , Alicia Mazepa , Jermaine Montell , Danielle Polanco , Steven Rosa , Adam Zotovich , Deanna Walters

Dylan (Justin Timberlake) and Jamie (Mila Kunis) think it's going to be easy to add the simple act of sex to their friendship, despite what Hollywood romantic comedies would have them believe. They so... read more read more...on discover however that getting physical really does always lead to complications. -- (C) Sony

Flixster Users

66% liked it

78,387 ratings

Critics

70% liked it

165 critics

DVD Release Date: December 2, 2011

Stats: 6,580 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (6,580)

• September 22, 2013
    Although it is obvious where this film is going from the first scene they have together, it has its funnier moments. I think Woody Harrelson was the best of the supporting actors in his role as the gay sports writer.
  • August 4, 2012
    Funny rom com. Two different people get dumped and they make a deal to become friends with benefits. But the inevitable happens they get emotionally closer. Justin and Mila are hot. They make a cute couple.
  • May 29, 2012
    This movie tries to make 1000 jokes and about 10 or 15 of them land. It also complains about rom-coms yet follows the exact formula for one. Will Gluck tries to play that "self-aware" card to distinguish his movies, but it is pretty easy to see right through it. Their are a handf... read moreul of laughs, but overall it is pretty normal.
  • May 28, 2012
    Perfectly decent rom-com. The leads were appealing and Patricia Clarkson and Richard Jenkins always bring it.
  • May 26, 2012
    Surprising romcom buoyed to nearly fresh with snappy, self aware, cheeky dialogue as well as the chemistry of its savvy leads. New York and L.A. put in scenic, charming if obligatory background appearances for mood and Woody Harrelson shucks and grins, typecast as a flaming big ... read morecity sports editor. Better than you think.
  • April 19, 2012
    I am very surprised with this movie!
    You think its going to be your typical romantic comedy, thats predictable but also lacking in the comedy department but i am proved wrong, this is certainly one of the better romcoms!
    Its funny, and i actually quite like Justin Timberlake in t... read morehis movie!
    Its sweet and funny and i actually think New York was sold to me via this movie as well so a class A romcom thats worth the watch!
  • February 22, 2012
    Sometimes chemistry can make up for a lot, and the dynamic, natural, and playfully flirty chemistry between stars Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis makes up for a lot of their movies shortcomings (if you know what I mean). Friends with Benefits is another tale about a guy and a gi... read morerl, both friends, who embark on a challenge to have casual sex and not form emotional/romantic attachments. No matter how many romantic comedy clichés it points out for ridicule, it doesn?t excuse the fact that the movie becomes one big, mushy, clichéd rom-com itself, albeit with saltier language (if you know what I mean). The randy humor will occasionally feel like it?s trying too hard, afraid to let an obvious joke lie dormant for too long. That?s where the sheer star power and amiable chemistry of the leads comes in handy. Kunis and Timberlake are both rather easy on the eyes, but they have a sharp sense of comic timing and a natural interplay. Hooray, a movie about friends where they feel like actual friends. Under the direction of Will Gluck (Easy A), the film has a jaunty pace except for an extended layover in Los Angeles that seems to sap the comic mojo and chart the film?s obvious rom-com reconciliatory ending. Friends with Benefits is sexy, funny, and an easy way to waste a couple hours (if you know what I mean).

Nate's Grade: B-
  • February 20, 2012
    Friends with Benefit

Okay

This movie can be fun at times, a little boring on the other, but overall I enjoyed it. It beat my expectations. Surely one of those that catch you by surprise.

The movie has the same story of two friends that decided to have sex without... read more emotions but end up falling in love. The only good things in this movie is the fun soundtrack, the sexiness of Mila Kunis, and a couple of jokes here and there.

Lorna: "Bananas in the refrigerator? What are you, Puerto Rican?"
  • February 17, 2012
    Cast: Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Patricia Clarkson, Jenna Elfman, Bryan Greenberg, Richard Jenkins, Woody Harrelson, Andy Samberg, Emma Stone

Director: Will Gluck

Summary: This raucous rom-com chronicles the relationship of two busy singles, Dylan (Justin Timberlake) ... read moreand Jamie (Mila Kunis), who agree to include sex in their friendship -- minus the emotions and commitment. But things get complicated.

My Thoughts: "Similar to 'No Strings Attached'? Yes. But the difference is, this movie was good. I really liked this movie. Justin and Mila were so good together on screen. They had that great chemistry which is so important for a rom-com flick. Patricia Clarkson steals every scene she is in. I loved her in this and in 'Easy A'. She plays the quirky mother brilliantly. Woody Harrelson was also a treat in this film. I found his character, Tommy, very funny. In short, this movie had a great cast. I adore Mila Kunis. I think she's a great actress and I can't wait to see what she does next. I am completely impressed with Mr. Timberlake. I had my doubts about him being an actor. But I have no complaints in any of the movie's I've seen him in. I think he's great. The movie is funny, raunchy, quirky, and just a little bit sad. A feel-good flick you can have a good time watching."

Tommy: "Love is not who you want to spend Friday night with, it is who you want to spend all day Saturday with."
  • February 2, 2012
    Dylan: Why do women think the only way to get men to do what they want is to manipulate them? 

The first thing that is clear about this movie, is that you've seen these events before. You know that going in. We actually saw it earlier in the year with No Strings Attached, and do... read moren't worry Friends With Benefits is better. Same plot, but better execution. It's funnier, it has a better male lead, and it has a better supporting cast. Plus it has Will Gluck, the guy who was coming off the success of Easy A. Besides that, it's basically the same movie that we see at least once a year, and sometimes(like 2011) multiple times. So I'm not really going to complain about the predictability of it from now on for two reasons. One: it's to be expected, and Two: I actually enjoyed the movie.

Dylan goes for a job interview in New York where he meets headhunter Jamie. She convinces him to move from L.A. and except the job at GQ. They begin a very good friendship that turns into casual slam piece friendship... and you know the rest. "Oh I just want to bang you and nothing more" turns into "I think she/he may be the one." 

The cast is likable with Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake in the roles of the "friends." I've always liked Kunis since her days on That 70's Show, and I'm actually really starting to respect Timberlake as an actor, especially after seeing The Social Network last year. The supporting cast is really what sets the movie apart though. Woody Harrelson has a fairly big supporting role, plus cameos from Emma Stone and Jason Segal make for some interesting parts. 

Enjoyable enough and funny enough to deserve at least one viewing. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but it is excels in it's ordinariness. If Gluck can make a movie like this work, he is going to be more than just a one hit wonder.

Critic Reviews

Leah Rozen
October 7, 2011
Leah Rozen, TheWrap

Anyone who has ever seen a romantic comedy before knows where this one is going. Full Review

Cath Clarke
September 7, 2011
Cath Clarke, Time Out

The chemistry between Kunis and her co-star Justin Timberlake is electric. Full Review

Greg Quill
August 2, 2011
Greg Quill, Toronto Star

It's one of those rare made-in-Hollywood couplings that transcends the ordinary stuff of movies, like plot and sense and credibility. Full Review

Logan Hill
August 2, 2011
Logan Hill, New York Magazine/Vulture

Fast-paced and fabulously fake, Friends With Benefits is the Red Bull of romantic comedies, unapologetically delivering a hyperactive, synthetic buzz. Full Review

Alison Willmore
August 2, 2011
Alison Willmore, Time Out New York

Kunis and Timberlake achieve the trickier feat of looking just as happy hanging out as they do sucking face, and when the clichés inevitably come rolling in, they feel earned rather than like a cop-out. Full Review

David Denby
July 25, 2011
David Denby, New Yorker

Friends with Benefits is fast, allusive, urban, glamorous -- clearly the Zeitgeist winner of the summer. Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
July 23, 2011
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

"Friends With Benefits" is often uproariously and profanely funny, and anchored in high-spirited performances from its central duo, who are well matched as comic foils if oddly lacking in erotic elect... Full Review

Richard Roeper
July 22, 2011
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

The best romantic comedy of the year. Full Review

Dana Stevens
July 22, 2011
Dana Stevens, Slate

Friends With Benefits is a dumb, by-the-numbers romantic comedy. Yet I kept finding small things to enjoy in it, mainly because of the two hard-to-hate leads. Full Review

Eric D. Snider
July 22, 2011
Eric D. Snider, Film.com

It succeeds, thanks to comedic chemistry between the two leads and nimble direction by Will Gluck. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• No Strings Attached
    No Strings Attached (96%)
  • The Ugly Truth
    The Ugly Truth (96%)
  • Easy A
    Easy A (88%)
  • Bridesmaids
    Bridesmaids (100%)

Facts

• Dylan: [lying under Jamie, totally naked] Do you like this position?
    • Jamie: [up in Dylan's body, naked] Yeah it's all right.
    • Dylan: Honestly I feel emasculated.
    • Tommy: Tommy: But the offers keep rolling in, naturally. Look at me! And hey, I love women. They're beautiful, majestic, mysterious, mesmerizing creatures. Smart, empathetic, far superior to men in every way. And if I had a choice, I would be with women to my dying day. But me likes cock, so I'm strickily-dickily.
    • Dylan: You can't deny that going to Hogwarts wouldn't be life changing.
    • Jamie: You really going to talk to her around all these people.
    • Dylan: I'm just going to talk to her. I'm not gonna rape her.
    • Tommy: A work ethic. I love it! That is why this country is still number one. Well, behind Germany and France and Belgium and Japan and China. Thank God for Bangladesh!
    • Dylan: Why do women think the only way to get men to do what they want is to manipulate them?
    • Jamie: History, personal experience, romantic comedies.

Friends With Bene... : Watch Free on TV

Friends With Benefits Trivia

• In which movie does Adam Sandler's character pretend to be gay with his friend in order for his friend's children to keep their insurance benefits?   Answer »
  • Who stars in the fake movie in in Friends with benefits?  Answer »
  • Who's concert is Emma Stone going to in friends with benefits?  Answer »
  • Which actress does Mila Kunis curse at the start of Friends with benefits?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Friends With Benefits. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?