Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Nicholas D'Agosto, Emma Bell, Miles Fisher, Ellen Wroe, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood ... see more see more... , P.J. Byrne , Arlen Escarpeta , David Koechner , Courtney B. Vance , Tony Todd , Brent Stait , Roman Podhora , Jasmin Dring , Barclay Hope , Chasty Ballesteros , Mike Dopud , Tanya Hubbard , Frank Topol , Tim Fellingham , Blaine Anderson , Dawn Chubai , Ryan Hesp , Ian Thompson , Andy Nez , Jodi Balfour , June B. Wilde , Brittany Rogers , Diana Pavlovská , Michael D. Adamthwaite , Grace Baek

In Final Destination 5, Death is just as omnipresent as ever, and is unleashed after one man's premonition saves a group of coworkers from a terrifying suspension bridge collapse. But this group of un... read more read more...suspecting souls was never supposed to survive, and, in a terrifying race against time, the ill-fated group frantically tries to discover a way to escape Death's sinister agenda. -- (C) Warner Bros

Flixster Users

52% liked it

50,880 ratings

Critics

61% liked it

129 critics

DVD Release Date: December 27, 2011

Stats: 4,869 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (4,869)

• May 28, 2012
    Funnily enough, I didn't hate this. I am still not sure why...
  • April 11, 2012
    I am constantly amazed when I see folks knocking this series. Unlike me, they must have no sense of humor. For me, this series represents some of the greatest comedies ever made. Even if I've seen one of them before, I still love to watch the build up to the way in which the n... read moreext victim will meet his/her demise, and when it happens, I roar with laughter -- even after multiple viewings. Now that's my definition of a good movie.

This one actually is one of the funnier ones, and the effects continue in their groundbreaking fashion. The freaky death of the gymnast, that final positon on the mat, hilarious, I kid you not. Seriously, for good laughs, you must watch this series. When you think about it, these are kind of an extension of 1000 Ways To Die. I look forward to the next installment with great anticipation.

• March 8, 2012
    Always been a fool for this series, and this fifth installment is no exception.
  • February 23, 2012
    A decent entry into the series, a step up from the 4th. I didn't get to see it in 3d but imagine it was pretty good. Very big opening scene, and plenty of inventive "accidents" and gore. You know what to expect for most of it. Thought the ending was a nice touch!
  • January 31, 2012
    Supposedly finished with the last movie, this is a decent whack at the original format. Although pretty much all the deaths were foretold in the trailer, there were a good few curveballs thrown in. I especially liked the reverting to before the original film.
  • January 30, 2012
    It's not often that the fifth entry in a series is one of the best efforts, but Final Destination 5 pulls it off. It's still mostly the same scenario with new deaths and new actors, but the formula is tweaked a bit to make it interesting again.

As for the deaths, overall I'd say... read more these are a couple of the most memorable in Final Destination history. I'll just say that there will be no laser eye surgeries or acupuncture appointments in my future. The actors are just another round of disposable (and vaguely familiar) pretty faces, but they die convincingly enough and aren't excessively annoying, and that's all you can really ask for.

If you're still up for more Final Destination, this one has as much or more entertainment value as any of the rest. It even has some links back to an earlier movie in the series, which fans will appreciate.
  • January 28, 2012
    I like to think I'm a pretty hardy film-goer, but this certainly tested my limits. Final Destination 5 is not for the faint of heart, but the excessive violence and gore is a lot of fun if you can withstand it. This is the first Final Destination film I've seen, but it certainly ... read morewon't be the last. Like the Saw film series, though, I'll need to wait at least a few weeks before my brain (and gag reflex) can withstand seeing something like this again.
  • January 28, 2012
    If there was any cosmic justice the Final Destination franchise would have been KO'd by death a long time ago. The initial interest of bizarre, fiendishly clever deaths and the constant macabre misdirection was fun, but now, after five movies, feels creatively exhausted. Once aga... read morein a group of unremarkable characters survive a remarkable disaster, this time a collapsing bridge. And once again we have to follow them figuring out the rules of the movie series and that they're all marked for death. The in-between stuff is some of the worst drama ever captured on screen. It makes you impatient for death to get off its duff and kill more teenagers so I don't have to listen to their whiny, unrealistic problems. Coming off a limp fourth movie that was the highest-grossing one yet, the filmmakers once again turn to 3-D as their savior, which does not play well at all on your TV (a sailboat mast becoming an instrument for impaling?). It's more annoying than anything. But the real draw of this movie is the gruesomely elaborate deaths, and they're probably the weakest of the series (a gymnast's body practically exploding once she hit a padded mat seems absurd even for this movie). There is one sequence that freaked me out but that's because I'm quite squeamish when it comes to eye trauma. What ends up slightly redeeming Final Destination 5, as far as cheap horror movies go, is a surprising third act that breaks from the doldrums of the franchise formula. For once, the people decide to take life to save themselves when death comes calling, and they set their sights on each other, resentful that one of their own survived in the premonition staple. I think this horror franchise took a turn for the worst when it gave into its target audience's cynical bloodlust, and I doubt there's anything "final" about this series. At least the Saw franchise had the merit to die.

Nate's Grade: C
  • January 16, 2012
    A guy has a premonition that a bridge that he is on will collapse. He convinces people to get off the bus. But death follows them. I didn't like the eye laser surgery scene.
  • January 14, 2012
    Fans of this franchise know precisely what to expect, and the film delivers it with wit and flair.

Critic Reviews

Tom Russo
November 24, 2011
Tom Russo, Boston Globe

Stabs at the dramatic don't amount to anything that makes us care, even for Bell, who has been solid on AMC's The Walking Dead and in the chairlift chiller Frozen. Full Review

Nigel Floyd
August 24, 2011
Nigel Floyd, Time Out

It sticks to gimmicky scenes in which twentysomethings are dispatched in ingenious ways, but first-time director Steven Quayle delivers cheap fun that will keep fans happy. Full Review

Bruce Diones
August 22, 2011
Bruce Diones, New Yorker

A surprising infusion of energy and macabre humor reanimates this horror franchise. Full Review

Eric D. Snider
August 12, 2011
Eric D. Snider, Film.com

The death sequences are fun; unfortunately, nearly everything in between is tedious and mechanical. Full Review

Liam Lacey
August 12, 2011
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

Director Steven Quale stages the death scenes with intermittently effective black humour to juice up a premise that, essentially, has all the suspense of watching the line at an abattoir. Full Review

Lisa Schwarzbaum
August 12, 2011
Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly

Under the direction of James Cameron protegé Steven Quayle, the visual effects from Ariel Velasco Shaw (who has crafted mayhem on everything from 300 to Freddy vs. Jason) ensure that no industrial hoo... Full Review

Aaron Hillis
August 12, 2011
Aaron Hillis, Village Voice

So tapped into its audience's giddy schadenfreude that beyond a kinkier-than-usual jolt of black humor and some clever red herrings, the formula remains rote... Full Review

Richard Roeper
August 12, 2011
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

From the opening credits to the final kill this film displays a great use of 3-D. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
August 12, 2011
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

A long and eventually tedious series of deaths, all in slightly sickening 3-D. Splattered eyeballs, snapped spines, heart kebabs - one numbingly after another, in diamond-hard focus and ruby-red color. Full Review

Kyle Smith
August 12, 2011
Kyle Smith, New York Post

A suspenseful and macabre exercise in dread for the absurdly cosseted. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• War of the Worlds
    War of the Worlds (38%)
  • Knowing
    Knowing (75%)
  • The Toxic Avenger
    The Toxic Avenger (40%)
  • Disturbing Behavior
    Disturbing Behavior (100%)

Facts

• Bludworth: You're all meant to die on the bridge. You're not even supposed to be here.
    • Sam Lawton: Dennis! It was Dennis!
    • Nathan: No shit!
    • Bludworth: Death doesn't like to be cheated.
    • Peter Friedkin: Tell Candice, I love her.
    • Bludworth: You all just be careful now.
    • Woman: Excuse me, those passengers who got off the plane earlier, what was that all about?
    • Flight Attendant: The kid had a panic attack & hurried off the plane, said he had some kind of vision.

Final Destination... : Watch Free on TV

Final Destination 5 Trivia

• In Final Destination 3, how long later does Wendy have her second vision?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Final Destination 5. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?