Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Tim Curry, Robin Williams, Samantha Mathis, Christian Slater, Jonathan Ward ... see more see more... , Grace Zabriskie , Geoffrey Blake , Robert Pastorelli , Cheech Marin , Tommy Chong , Tone-Loc , Townsend Coleman , Brian Cummings , Kathleen Freeman , Janet Gilmore , Lauri Hendler , Rosanna Huffman , Harvey Jason , Naomi J. Lewis , Dave Mallow , Paige Pollack , Holly Ryan , Gary Schwartz , Pamela Segall , Anderson Wong , Neil Ross , Danny Mann , Tone Loc

A man finds himself living among the animals and enchanted spirits of the rainforest, and learns of the true consequences of human destruction in this animated adventure. Crysta (voice of Samantha Mat... read more read more...his) is a young fairy who is being tutored in the powers of magic by the older and wiser Magi (voice of Grace Zabriskie) in an Amazon rain forest. While their home was once on the verge of destruction thanks to the evil spirit Hexxus (voice of Tim Curry), the demon has been trapped inside a tree, and Crysta is free to play with her friends Batty Koda (voice of Robin Williams), a bat who escaped from an animal testing facility, and Pips (voice of Christian Slater), who has obvious romantic intentions toward the attractive young sprite. However, a clear-cutting crew destroys the tranquil peace of the rainforest, and when Crysta sees a runaway logging machine about to run over lumberjack Zak (voice of Jonathan Ward), she saves his life by shrinking him to her own size. However, Crysta isn't able to bring Zak back to his normal size, so he's forced to live among the forest creatures and learn first-hand the devastation the humans have brought to this world -- especially when the loggers accidentally free Hexxus from captivity. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

Flixster Users

63% liked it

186,535 ratings

Critics

71% liked it

14 critics

G, 1 hr. 12 min.

Directed by: Bill Kroyer

Release Date: April 10, 1992

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: February 19, 2002

Stats: 6,189 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (6,189)

• July 29, 2013
    In retrospect it's not a bad film. Sure its style is a mix of Disney, Warner Brothers and Hanna-Barbera but its songs and message where its own. It was quite a popular subject in the early 90's and I remember much was taught in schools about the rainforest, recycling etc. You can... read more't knock the message, well maybe you can knock the underline spirituality nonsense but the songs are pretty good! A great slice of early 90's animation, I quite enjoyed its simplicity compared to today's 3D wizardry but I'm glad cartoons are a little less serious and play more for laughs like they used to.
  • August 18, 2011
    FERNGULLY, like I expected, was a waste of time. It was poorly animated, and it was utterly asinine.
  • June 18, 2011
    Not just a cartoon but one with a message: it's all in the title. In the world of CGI the old school hand-drawn looks old some, but it's for the kids and so ... they might appreciate it's magic.
  • May 2, 2011
    This was one of my favourite movies as a kid, and I think kids today should see it too. It has a wonderful lesson about pollution and the destruction of rainforests, but it's also exciting, creepy, funny, and entertaining. There are some great songs too. Plus, it's about fairi... read morees, and a human who gets shrunk down to their size, the classic take a walk in someone else's shoes story. I love this movie.
  • January 8, 2011
    Tim curry did a fantastic job along with robin willaims in this movie and its fairly decent but only kids will like it
  • October 3, 2010
    Great message, fun characters and a classic animated kid's movie. It's about as environmentally aware a movie like this had been at the time and it doesn't hurt that it actually works as a story too. Some really diverse voice talents that all manage to work together in giving you... read more a very 90s interpretation of a fairytale land.
  • February 23, 2010
    I have some fond memories of making fun of this movie when they let us watch it in class.
  • September 14, 2009
    One of the worst and one of my least favorite Disney films, wouldn't even call this one a classic....
  • December 28, 2007
    I just had a really terrifying experience. I saw this movie mentioned on my friend's Facebook, and wondered "hm have I rated that on Flixster yet?" (And yes, that's how my brain works, because I am woefully nerdy.) So I searched for "Fern Gully" on Flixster and it turned up no re... read moresults. I searched for "Fern" and "Gully" separately - no results. Confused, I went to IMDB and searched for "Fern Gully", which also did not turn up any results. I thought I was seriously going crazy before I realized that it's ALL ONE WORD! "FernGully." Like...did you guys know that? I didn't.

This is clearly making up for the fact that I don't really remember the movie.
  • November 26, 2007
    Hell yeah! I saw this movie in my 3rd grade class...I still want to own it some day. =)

Critic Reviews

Nell Minow
December 24, 2010
Nell Minow, Common Sense Media

Wonderful voices in family delight. Full Review

Steve Crum
October 23, 2008
Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com

Still relevant theme of saving rainforests is fine children's animation, pre-Pixar, pre-digital.

David Cornelius
March 15, 2006
David Cornelius, DVDTalk.com

A self-important environmental message piece that only Sting could love. Full Review

Scott Weinberg
October 21, 2005
Scott Weinberg, DVDTalk.com

Hey, if the Veggie Tales folks can sell religion in this fashion, then I say the environmental lobby deserves their fair shot as well. Full Review

Greg Muskewitz
February 21, 2004
Greg Muskewitz, eFilmCritic.com

Hardly an obstacle to the Disney machine, it is still plesant.

Brian Webster
February 19, 2002
Brian Webster, Apollo Guide

Sufficiently entertaining - as long as the adults are ready for a post-movie conversation about the realities of tough environment versus development questions. Full Review

March 26, 2009
Variety

Click to read the article Full Review

January 26, 2006
Time Out

Janet Maslin
May 20, 2003
Janet Maslin, New York Times

Hal Hinson
January 1, 2000
Hal Hinson, Washington Post

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Thumbelina
    Thumbelina (81%)
  • Pocahontas
    Pocahontas (81%)
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia (78%)
  • All Dogs Go To Heaven
    All Dogs Go To Heaven (67%)

Facts

• Ash: Gotta catch em' all.
    • The Goanna: [about to eat Zak] Welcome to the food chain.
    • Crysta: Stop! He's a human!
    • The Goanna: Uhh... what's a human?
    • Batty Koda: Delicious and nutritious! Tastes just like chicken!

FernGully - The L... : Watch Free on TV

FernGully - The Last Rainforest Trivia

• In "Ferngully: The Last Rainforest," which song is sung by Tim Curry's character, Hexxus?  Answer »
  • Which actor/actress connects these films Hard Rain Very Bad Things Ferngully: The Last Rainforest Untamed Heart  Answer »
  • In which movie does Robin Williams voice over a bat?   Answer »
  • Who was the voice for Batty Koda in FernGully: The Last Rainforest before being voted Funniest Man Alive by Entertainment Weekly in 1997?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?