Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes Wide Shut

73% Liked It
liked it

Eyes Wide Shut

Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Sydney Pollack, Marie Richardson, Rade Serbedzija

After learning of his wife's flirtatious behavior, Dr. William Harford goes on an odyssey of his own.

Id: 11178594

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Recent Reviews

• May 2, 2014
    A slow-burning Kubrickian exploration of extramarital sexual desire and jealousy, full of some terrific symbolism that throws us together with the characters in a nightmarish odyssey highlighted by a formidable game of colors using blue and red to suggest menace and unconscious s... read moreex impulses.
  • March 1, 2014
    As far as final films go, is there really a better film that Kubrick could have his career end with (due to his death) than this? I don't really think so.

This is, like basically every Kubrick film, a challenging, beautiful, and haunting work of art. A ridiculous amount of shots... read more are framed quite literally like you'd see done to a painting in a musuem. This sucker just oozes with craft. It would be a surprise if it didn't, really. I lost track of the number of long takes and tracking there were, but I was also absorbed when I tried to imagine how difficult some of them were to set up and execute, especially given Kubrick's perfectionism. For people who think this movie is only about gratituous nudity and sex, you are wrong, will be disappointed if you watch it solely for that reason. This is a long film that is deliberately (read: slowly) paced, with all of the sex and nudity being done in a very tasteful and artistic manner that also serves as an integral part of the plot and themes. And, just like his other films, this is a film loaded with symbolism, metaphors, and is open to a vast number of interpretations. The music was just phenomenal. It kind of surprised me that there would also be some slight similarities to John Carpenter's score for Halloween. The brief (but appropriate) use of a Chris Isaak song just brought a devious smile to my face, and the classical music that is used is just something that is to be expected- and it works flawlessly. The acting is also quite good (yes, even Cruise for those haters and mockers). I feel like anyone who works with Kubrick is capable of giving an excellent performance- no matter who they are.

Is this a perfect film? Well, based on my rating, and for a general audience, I say no. It is long, slow, and rather pretentious. Even though I raved about the music, I'll admit that the repetition of the piano notes can get a bit tedious and overbearing after a while, but at least it's only around in the second half. You need to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, and cannot do so passively. I spent most of the viewing time totally absorbed in it, but then got interrupted and found it hard to get back into, but that's a minor thing. It would probably help to view it at least twice (once again, like other Kubrick films), in order to get the most out of it. There's a lot to ponder over in this film, but the patient viewer will find themself greatly rewarded.
  • fb619846742
    October 10, 2013
    fb619846742
    Yet another brilliant film directed by one of the best directors ever in Stanley Kubrick. It misses perfection by ever so little, but it is still a worthy film which features an eerie atmosphere, a jarring soundtrack, and some genuinely disturbing and creepy scenes. Although the ... read morenudity is indeed plentiful, in this movie it is made to serve an important purpose, which being if you dehumanize one of the closest things two humans can share with one another, then you turn human passions and desires into nothing more than revolting "practices" which almost nobody wants to take a part in. Definitely not for everyone, especially those that can handle a certain amount of sexual content, this is a very graphic movie which was originally rated NC-17 before being edited (the late Kubrick must have rolled over in his grave should he have known) to a hard R.
  • July 27, 2013
    For Stanley Kubrick's last film, he crafts this unique psychological drama that is worth checking out due to its eccentric story. This would be a work that conflicted Kubrick as he thought the film was not good and was not satisfied with the finished product. Over time, Eyes Wide... read more Shut would be better received and I quite liked the film myself, but felt that it wasn't up there as one of Kubrick's best. The cast are well chosen and deliver some truly engaging performances. This is not a flawless film, but it does boast a well crafted story that should please Stanley Kubrick fans. The film manages to be quite unique and it does boast some impressive performances. However, like I stated the film has some impressive visuals and effective direction that really makes this a standout feature. Eyes Wide Shut may not be the greatest film that Kubrick has made, but it definitely is a must watch for fans of the director. Even if it's not perfect, you can tell how much effort Stanley Kubrick put into this film. I really enjoyed the performance of the two leads and I felt that everyone brought something wonderful to the screen. Considering that this is Stanley Kubrick's final work, this is an accomplished movie that illustrates all the usual elements of a misunderstood Kubrick film. The film may not hold among his other, more excellent works such as 2001, A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon, but it nonetheless holds a place in his filmography as being yet another eccentric piece of work that deserves more praise than it has initially gotten. Eyes Wide Shut is a very good film, and one that is worth checking out.
  • July 27, 2013
    Review coming to themoviefreakblog.com on 8/17
  • February 27, 2013
    My favorite Stanley Kubrick film.
  • January 27, 2013
    It's strange to think of a Kubrick film as underrated, but I find it fascinating how so many have dismissed Eyes Wide Shut during both its theatrical run and its subsequent life on video. Some theories have postulated that he had become so reclusive (he hadn't made a film since 1... read more987's Full Metal Jacket and lived in exile in England), how could he possibly know anything about modern-day relationships, New York, etc.? Others have suggested that he had become so insular, cold and bitter (as if he were a teddy bear beforehand?) that he no longer had the ability to objectively analyze much of anything.

Yes, it was ms-marketed, and sure, Eyes Wide Shut may not be as profound as some of his masterworks, but it's still a pretty good film in its own right. At its core it's about the bonds of marriage and the challenge of achieving real intimacy. The sexual politics aside (which one can right an entire essay on), this film is one of the more penetrating (bad pun, I know) and creative exposes on the classic bored and wealthy upper-class trying to find true meaning in their lives. And let's not forget, this is Stanley Kubrick at the helm and he hadn't lost his touch: the compositions were spellbinding; the lighting both stylized and natural were endlessly intriguing and added so much to his character's development; his long shots and dissolves were staged with meticulous detail. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the show-stopping, eerily ritualistic upper crust orgy scene -- everything from the mood lighting, to the cold and unemotional mansion that hosted the event, to the cloaks and masks, to the invasive music is endlessly fascinating and surreal, and as good as anything Kubrick has ever done.

The criticisms, though, do persist. Some of pointed out that the film is cheaply sexually exploitative, that only the women are nude and they are nothing more than sexual objects. Well, yes, but the film is quite pointedly a trip through a fairly conventional man's sexual unconscious and necessarily told from a male point of view. None of these things should come as a surprise. Moreover, much like Steve McQueen's masterful study of sexual addiction, Shame, I found Eyes Wide Shut to be remarkably asexual. Sex is power, nothing less and nothing more. It's powerful in the way dreams can almost destroy a marriage, and it's powerful as a reinforcement of class stratification. As far as lead characters go, maybe Bill Hartford (Cruise) isn't complex as Humbert Humbert or Jack Torrance, but isn't that the point? Eyes Wide Shut isn't so much about one man's mental illness or psychotic breakdown, it's about how all of us -- our projections and insecurities manifested. To that end, Eyes Wide Shut is an effective swan song to Kubrick's llife and magnificent career.
  • January 18, 2013
    A well known film for many reasons, the cast, director and the sex, nude scenes. It's quite a simple story but deals with complex issues and emotions. Once it gets into the whole secret society stage it becomes unnerving and more of a thriller, or does it? You're left to make wha... read moret of it you will which might bother some viewers. Very well shot, the score is simple but has great effect and with a talented cast. So definitely worth seeing and Nicole looks stunning as always.
  • fb100000257973100
    February 23, 2012
    fb100000257973100
    Now, here is a little odd film (then again, what film from Kubrick is not odd?). This being the great director's last film, has something of a tragic feel to it. Mainly due to the fact that we do not know if this is how Kubrick intended the film to be. When he died of a heart att... read moreack while in 1999, he was busy editing this film and adding the final touches. Now, Kubrick was a man who done literally everything himself in terms of the aspects of a film. The reason why was because people wanted to edit and change his vision for how his films should have been and, Kubrick being Kubrick, he refused to all that to happen. But, seeing as how he died three weeks before the premier, I have a feeling that this is close enough to what he wanted. Now, for my view of the film, I must say that this film was, at first, beyond long. Well, other then the running time being two hours and forty five minutes, it is a slow paced film that is meant to be played out as both an erotic daydream and nightmare. I will admit that, when I first tried to watch this film, I could not sit through it. Mostly because I was bored of this movie. But, sitting down and watching it a second time, it was a lot better plus it is just an original take on the 1920's novella Traumnovelle. So, with that in mind, this is a film that requires multiple viewings to get and like. Now, for the aspects. In terms of direction, Kubrick gave this film his all; taking from what he learned from all of his previous films and putting them together. He makes this film like any of his others: beautiful, confusing, but interesting nonetheless. The next thing would have to be the actors. Well, when you have mega actors like Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman along with Sydney Pollack, you basically have a winning team in terms of acting. And, in this film, it is just marvelous seeing them all give it their best. But, kudos to Kidman for her monologue she gives at the start of the film while being high on pot. In all the acting I have seen her in, that little bit was the best. Cruise gives his main performance as he usually does, but I do like how he becomes confuse by his own sexual journey and what he realizes. And for Pollack, same thing as Kidman: his monologue at the end was superb, but a little long I will admit. Now, with most of Kubrick's films, the score is an important aspect and with this film it is no exception. The main piece of music to pay attention to is the creepy as hell piece known as Dominic Harlan's Musica Ricercata, II. When you hear this piece nonstop during the end, you will feel identical to Cruise. I kid you not. Finally, the script. As I said, this is something of a confusing film, seeing as how it gives you hints that this is a dream, hints that this is reality, even hints that someone is out to get Cruise. But, just with the dialogue and how the scenes are constructed, it might not be the best script by Kubrick, but it is impressive nonetheless. Overall, this is a great ending piece to Kubrick's life, but this is not a film for younger viewers. (unless they can be mature with all of the sexual content)
  • fb1664868775
    October 27, 2011
    fb1664868775
    Filled with breathtaking images, Kubrick's final film is not a masterpiece but nevertheless the work of a master still exploring new territory.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD