Elles
Elles (2012)

A provocative exploration of female sexuality, Elles stars the fearless Juliette Binoche as Anne, a well-off Parisian journalist investigating the lives of two student prostitutes (Joanna Kulig and Anaïs Demoustier) for a magazine article.… More

Rated: NC-17
Running Time:
Genre: Drama
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
21%
Flixster
User Score
28%

Available Online

Buy & Rent

Buy SD $14.99 Rent SD $3.99
- -

Subscription

Stream Now

Critic Score: 21% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews
Colin Covert
Minneapolis Star Tribune

This Paris-based film from Polish director Malgorzata Szumowska is a fairly unengaging journalism procedural shellacked with a veneer of elliptical, complicated symbolism.

Full review…
Mick LaSalle
San Francisco Chronicle

Binoche is the disappointment. More than half the problem is that the script, co-written by the director, gives her little to do but fret and mope.

Full review…
Richard Haridy
Quickflix

Elles is undeniably challenging, courageously delving into some immensely messy issues surrounding sexuality and the ways men and women barter in relationships.

Full review…
J. R. Jones
Chicago Reader

Writer-director Malgorzata Szumowska breaks past the facile moralizing only once.

Full review…
Stanley Kauffmann
The New Republic

One of her (Binoche's) lesser choices.

Full review…
Jim Schembri
3AW

Polish director Małgorzata Szumowska deserves some sort of award for making such a potentially spell-binding topic so flat.

Full review…
Roger Ebert
Chicago Sun-Times

"Elles" has a surprisingly deep performance in a disappointingly shallow movie.

Full review…
Ty Burr
Boston Globe

Both provocative and muddled, the film's a moody, passive-aggressive tract that's buoyed by superior performances and sunk by its own uncertainties.

Full review…
Andrew L. Urban
Urban Cinefile

I can't tell what Elles has to say and I rather think the filmmakers don't either

Full review…
More reviews for Elles

Flixster Audience Score: 28% Flixster User Reviews
William Dunmyer
"Elles" is a French film made by a relatively young Polish-born filmmaker (Malgoska Szumowska) whom I've never heard of until now. I'm… More
The Movie Waffler
Elle columnist Binoche questions her bourgeois existence while researching an article on students who turn to prostitution. It seems that almost every French… More
Walter M.
In "Elles," Anne(Juliette Binoche) is a journalist who works out of her home that she shares with her husband and two sons. Her latest assignment is… More
Mark Abell
A journalist, Anne (Juliette Binoche) in the course of interviewing two young women, students at a Paris University, about their working as call girls for an… More