Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, Jemaine Clement, Stephanie Szostak ... see more see more... , Lucy Punch , Bruce Greenwood , David Walliams , Ron Livingston , Larry Wilmore , Kristen Schaal , P.J. Byrne , Andrea Savage , Randall Park , Lucy Davenport , Chris O'Dowd , Jeff Dunham , Octavia Spencer , Patrick Fischler , Rick Overton , Eric Winzenreid , Nicole LaLiberte , Maria Zyrianova , Scott Weintraub

Tim, an up-and-coming executive, has just received his first invitation to the "dinner for idiots," a monthly event hosted by his boss that promises bragging rights (and maybe more) to the exec that s... read more read more...hows up with the biggest buffoon. Tim's fiancée, Julie, finds it distasteful and Tim agrees to skip the dinner, until he bumps into Barry - an IRS employee who devotes his spare time to building elaborate taxidermy mouse dioramas - and quickly realizes he's struck idiot gold. Tim can't resist, and invites Barry, whose blundering good intentions soon sends Tim's life into a frenzied downward spiral and a series of comic misadventures, threatening a major business deal, bringing crazy stalker ex-girlfriend, Darla, back into Tim's life and driving Julie (or so Tim thinks) into the arms of another man.

Flixster Users

43% liked it

118,488 ratings

Critics

42% liked it

185 critics

DVD Release Date: January 4, 2011

Stats: 8,942 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (8,942)

• June 17, 2013
    I would argue that Dinner for Schmucks is just that little bit better than Le dinner de Cons. It is silly and a little formulaic in places but it succeeds in the fact that it has a very capable and very funny cast. Paul Rudd is the straight man, again, but he is quite good at it,... read more I find it odd that people consider him a comedy actor because he isn't funny and that's not his role. Steve Carell is pretty dependable, his character has little back-story and is just odd for the sake of it which I think was a wise decision, he didn't need reasoning behind his madness, it's just best that he's just like that. Jemaine Clement, David Walliams, Lucy Punch and Chris O'Dowd are the best of the support, between them producing enough laughs for the film to be quite an easy and enjoyable watch. I loved the Mice too.
  • December 28, 2012
    20/12/2012 (DVD)
  • fb733768972
    December 2, 2012
    fb733768972
    "Dinner For Schmucks" gives the feeling of an average over-the-top comedy, but it's the exact opposite when following through on this film. Steve Carell plays a very odd character who is always there to make a sad moment funny. While Paul Rudd is being invaded with problem after ... read moreproblem, the movie unravels it's soft heart, before jumping back into it's hilarious comedic style. The jokes fly minute by minute and the characters grow in every scene; However, the film takes too much time to get to the point, and I actually almost forgot about the dinner altogether by the end. Dinner for Schmucks has laughter, heart, and packs a pretty big punch in the acting category, but falls flat on originality. "Dinner for Schmucks" is a pretty funny comedy, but that's it!
  • September 7, 2012
    Huge misfire!!! bad result in my eyes as this film really is terribly disappointing. There is hardly any funny stuff anywhere! unless you count Carell screaming like an infant at times to be funny?. Apart from a few nice lines here and there and one dinner scene with Carell, Rudd... read more and 'Little Britain's' David Williams which is quite amusing but not hilarious that's it really. The plot is pretty thin, the characters are just dull, you just don't really care about any of them, the ending is dumb and childish and Carell's character is actually rather annoying.

Another poor film from Carell who really should stick to TV, I wanted to like this I really did, had high hopes for the 'Dumb n Dumber' type script but alas it falls well short and like the recent 'Grown Ups' is a total wasted opportunity.
  • July 21, 2012
    Despite being other buddy comedy where one is dumb and the another is a victim and doesn't looks better that the original picture, Dinner for Schmucks it's an agonizing and funny dark comedy, with a charming and very likable cast.
  • March 24, 2012
    I did not see this film being the comedy of the year, fortunately the funny parts of this film come nice and swiftly not to mention some of the bumps on the road to the dinner, but it leaves you with a question, with so much talent why is steve carrell put into films that dont e... read morexceed his talent?
  • March 10, 2012
    "Dinner for Schmucks" takes a crap all over your idea of absurd and brings it to a whole 'nother level. It's ruthless, frustrating, and not very funny. Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell back in a movie together? Sounds great. But what the movie delivers is an average script that never ... read moregoes beyond usual chuckles. The characters? Way, way, way too over-the-top that questions audiences whether the characters are mentally-ill or mentally challenged. Way too much slapstick that would only entertain those 11 years old and younger. In the end, the movie is tightly wound together to bring a cohesive movie but not a very cohesive comedy. I'm not gonna lie; there were some hilarious lines here and there, but not enough to completely ground "Dinner for Schmucks" as a comedy.
  • January 20, 2012
    I think this is rating so highly with me because I just loved all the little stuffed mice dressed up and put in poses! (What can I say, I am a little twisted!).
    This wasn't bad, for a movie I never set out to watch, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Yes, it's a bit silly, but ... read moreit has a good cast and just for something easy to watch with a few laughs, I couldn't fault it.
    Steve Carell definitely works better in this kind of comedy than trying to pull of romantics leads (i.e. Dan in Real Life) while Paul Rudd is funny, but straight faced enough through this to offset Steve's over the top dork (who is still kind of likeable and sympathetic). Also good was Lucy Punch as Darla and Stephanie Szostak as Julie.
    Zach Galifanakis and Jemaine Clement were both total put offs, but as that was their characters, I would say it was a good thing!
  • August 28, 2011
    Steve Carrell's character was a bit too much I guess. I mean seriously? You'll jump in front of a car for a dead mouse?
    I did laughed few times but I expected more from him. He's one of my fave comedy actor.
  • August 17, 2011
    This movie is a lot of fun, and it's interesting to see a film peopled with characters that are both cartoonish but grounded with a great deal of humanity. Barry isn't simply a one-dimensional, obnoxious doofus; He actually really cares about his friends and feels pain very acute... read morely when he's rejected. The villains in this movie are bad people the way real people are bad: they glory in making fun of others and tearing them down, and are persistently petty, snide and negative. Tim's desire to be part of thier world is what made him a bad person originally, and his character arch is actually a real pleasure to watch. It's refreshing in this movie, which is at times really mean-spirited. There are also times where the farcical narrative trips over its own zany chaos and devolves into a huge mess, but it's the characters that keep it together and keep you watching. This movie is fun, but I wouldn't put it with my classic comedies.

Critic Reviews

Rene Rodriguez
January 31, 2011
Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald

You know you're in trouble when the best thing in your movie is a bunch of dead rodents. Full Review

Dave Calhoun
September 1, 2010
Dave Calhoun, Time Out

A decent cast wrestle with a crummy script in this loose and creaky Hollywood spin on Le Dîner de Cons... Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
August 2, 2010
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

The movie has a slew of goofball moments that don't add up to a consistently hilarious outing. Full Review

Liam Lacey
July 30, 2010
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

With moments of fitful hilarity, the pairing of Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and a talented cast of secondary actors, there's plenty here to keep summer comedy fans satiated, if not entirely satisfied. Full Review

Tom Long
July 30, 2010
Tom Long, Detroit News

Pure, tasteless slapstick silliness with little on its mind beyond cheap yuks. Full Review

Ann Hornaday
July 30, 2010
Ann Hornaday, Washington Post

Dinner for Schmucks may be as broad as the proverbial groaning board, but Rudd and Carell bring out its most toothsome delights. Full Review

Peter Rainer
July 30, 2010
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

Veber's comic conceit, which stopped short of actually showing the dinner, doesn't really cross the Atlantic intact. Full Review

Lou Lumenick
July 30, 2010
Lou Lumenick, New York Post

Dinner With Schmucks may actually be the funniest movie currently in the marketplace -- but that's pretty much by default. Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
July 30, 2010
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

All the disorderly or anarchistic possibilities of its premise get channeled back toward a message of symbolic pseudo-redemption, which is what Hollywood movies have to deliver at all costs. Full Review

Richard Corliss
July 30, 2010
Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine

This may not be the highest achievement of the director's art -- to exceed minimal expectations -- but it's an honorable one, and Roach makes the grade. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• I Love You, Man
    I Love You, Man (94%)
  • Meet the Parents
    Meet the Parents (96%)
  • What About Bob?
    What About Bob? (92%)
  • The Cable Guy
    The Cable Guy (47%)

Facts

• Barry: In the words of John Lennon, 'You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not.'
    • Tim: The only one.
    • Therman: BARRY. Tell us why your wife left you.
    • Barry Speck: [mumbles]
    • Therman: Louder, Barry.
    • Barry Speck: I lost her clitoris.
    • Susana: You lost her what?
    • Barry Speck: I told her it was probably in her purse...
    • Susana: No, Barry, do you know what a clitoris is?
    • Barry Speck: I don't know what half the stuff in her purse is.
    • Julie: You tell your friend Tim, he can, uhm, you tell him he can kiss my ass.
    • Barry: Oh, don't have to we have a picture.
    • Henderson: I have a bunch of singles left from your sisters birthday party....is Cinnamon a family name?
    • Darla: Wanna lick cheese off of my naked body?
    • Barry: Oh, I'm sure Tim has plates.
    • Barry: As a wise man once said 'You may say i'm a dreamer but i'm not'.
    • Tim: 'The only one.'
    • Barry: What?
    • Tim: Well that's the lyric 'You may say i'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one'
    • Barry: [sarcastically] Okay Tim, whatever you say!

Dinner for Schmuc... : Watch Free on TV

Dinner for Schmucks Trivia

• "You wanna lick melted cheese off my naked body?"  Answer »
  • What animal does Barry make displays out of in Dinner for Schmucks?  Answer »
  • What director? Dinner for Schmucks Meet the Fockers Austin Powers in Goldmember Mystery, Alaska  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Dinner for Schmucks. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?