Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Denzel Washington, Paula Patton, Val Kilmer, Jim Caviezel, Adam Goldberg ... see more see more... , Elden Henson , Erika Alexander , Bruce Greenwood , Rich Hutchman , Matt Craven , Donna W. Scott , Elle Fanning , Brian Howe , Enrique J. Castillo , Mark Phinney , Shondrella Avery , John "Spud" McConnell , Dane Rhodes , Clay Steakley , Lorry Houston , Polly Craig , Ted Manson , Yvonne Landry , Brian F. Durkin , Kenneth Lee , Ron Flagge , Scott Alan Smith , Nadia Shazana , Lew Temple , Charlie Hirsch , Justin Colvin , Brandi Coleman , Todd J. Smith , Jonathan Majoue , Jerrod Paige , John Will Clay , Bart Hansard , Scott Klace , David Pease , Andy Umberger , Patt Noday , Ritchie Montgomery , Jack Daniel Stanley , Maureen Brennan , Randy Austin , J.W. Williams , Rio Hackford , Gary Grubbs , Frankie Lynch , Bill Ladd , Lara Grice , Lowell Perry , Michael Arata , Sylvia Jefferies , Carol Sutton , Julia LaShae , Chris Rose , Douglas M. Griffin , Margaret Lawhon , Roy McCrerey , Freddy Mitchell , Dave Jensen , Jerry Rudden , John Johnson , Ronald Mason , Shawn Michael Patrick , James Huang , Jennifer Weston , Angela D. Hoenig , H. Gregg Kawecki , Ann Turkel , Christopher Scholl , Charmaine Neville , Bruce "Sunpie" Barnes , Nolan North

Déjà vu: that flash of memory when you meet someone new who you feel you've known all your life or when recognize a place although you've never been there before. What if these feelings are actually w... read more read more...arnings sent from the past or clues to the future? It is déjà vu that guides ATF agent Doug Carlin through an investigation into a shattering crime. Called in to recover evidence after a cataclysmic bomb explosion on a New Orleans Ferry, Carlin discovers that what most people believe "is only in their heads" is something far more powerful--something which will lead him on a mind-bending race to save hundreds of innocent people.

Flixster Users

73% liked it

367,786 ratings

Critics

55% liked it

156 critics

PG-13, 2 hr. 6 min.

Directed by: Tony Scott

Release Date: November 22, 2006

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: April 23, 2007

Stats: 26,225 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (26,225)

• October 19, 2013
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img]
  • March 9, 2012
    Innovative action with a plotline that doesn't know how to explain itself. Denzel's great as usual.
  • January 6, 2012
    The Tony Scott/Denzel Washington team serve up a fast breaking time travel/love story about federal agents trying to stop a terrorist bombing in post Katrina New Orleans. Strains credulity, but hey, its a decent movie.
  • December 13, 2011
    Doug Carlin (Denzel Washington) is his name, and he works as an ATF agent in New Orleans. His current assignment is to catch a terrorist who bombed a ferry within the first five minutes of the film (thank God I didn't skip through the opening credits--that might've been the only... read more attention-grabbing scene in the entire film). He is told about a superb technology that, Doug realizes, can do more than solve the crime: it will allow him to travel back in time to prevent the crime from happening.

With such incredible technology as one of the main plot subjects, one would think this film would be fairly short. This runs for a whole two hours, and with all the extraneous scenes it contains, it feels like even longer. In fact, this film makes the average crime mystery TV show, seem like a short video one would find on YouTube.

After seeing Denzel Washington and Tony Scott collaborate in UNSTOPPABLE, a slightly more recent film, I couldn't wait to see this film. Scott put the same amount of adrenaline into the production, but he couldn't fit it with the plot. For example: there was great, pulse-pounding music, but rather than being placed in the appropriate scenes, it's placed in scenes depicting Washington's character listening to his voicemail. How many double-takes this film drew from me, I could not count, but the ending drew the most, for sure.

Although this film was not interesting, the central concept was. The title may lead you to believe that this film is about time travel, and that's part of it. The technology used to solve crime does many things, such as the basic time travel, as well as the ability to spy on people, pause, rotate the view, and much more. Truly, this is what any FBI agent would want to use to solve a crime, and I applaud the filmmakers for putting their own technology to a purposeful use.

If you look at DEJA VU for looks and nothing else, it's amazing. Looking at it from a normal film-watching perspective, this isn't very enjoyable, and it's overly complex. Actually, maybe "complex" isn't the correct word. What I mean to say is that not much is explained at all. Just the slightest explanation fit into the two hours would have brought this from utter disappointment to solidity.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p1Urcx-xA
  • October 2, 2011
    A fun action sci-fi piece with an really interesting idea at the middle. It doesn't come off as well as it could. It's no Man on Fire, but as far as Denzel, Tony Scott pairings go this one is pretty good.
  • September 29, 2011
    Deja Vu has one of the coolest concepts ever and executes it really nicely. The story never dies down to be an incredible action thriller with a great storyline of time travel and if the idea of changing the past to save the future, it seems done before but they do it so well. ... read moreDenzel Washington was great in this, and to be honest I do not recall a performance where he was bad, and the rest of the cast did good (but not memorable) performances. The music of the film also have it that extra bump for a great action film. Deja Vu is a film that you will not soon forget, its cool, fun, and although its a bit boring at many times for a action film, this movieis still great and I recommend it to all movie lovers.
  • July 16, 2011
    Another Denzel flick, another one of my favorites. Love the vistas of New Orleans, love the fact that Val Kilmer still gets work, and Paula Patton... game over. Also, one of the best car chases ever -- one in the present, one eye in the past. Yes, it's a time travel movie, so it'... read mores full of plot holes, but just enjoy the ride.
  • February 25, 2011
    Brilliant core idea and a good cast however I felt like part of the movie went way too fast. There are a lot of errors such as if sending one small note caused the city to lose power, surely sending a whole man would do much worse. His body probably wouldn't even survive etc etc.... read more In the first explosion the bomb goes off pretty quickly whereas in the alternate world it takes a while. The science is out of it but it's interesting and somewhat unpredictable.
  • January 18, 2011
    Film critic, David Thomson, describes Deja Vu as "inane yet compelling." I would have to agree. The time travelly stuff expects itself to be taken seriously (unlike the general levity of Back to the Future II); it involves too much disbelief-suspending technology ... read more(unlike the natural phenomenon in Frequency); it pervades throughout the movie (unlike the few climactic moments in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban); it doesn't involve Keanu Reeves (unlike The Lake House). Oh wait, that's a good thing. The movie is definitely fun to watch, especially during the stylish real time/past time highway chase.

Denzel Washington plays Denzel Washington - charismatic yet slightly rogue officer of the law. The bright lights are Paula Patton and Jim Caviezel aka Jesus Christ. Patton is beautiful, and she manages to be beautiful even when she's scared shitless, rashly daring, and rightfully paranoid. Caviezel, in a tiny villain role, freezes the screen with one, penetrating stare. The hint of arrogance in his voice cements the conviction of his wayward patriot.
  • July 21, 2010
    B

Critic Reviews

David Jenkins
December 30, 2006
David Jenkins, Time Out

Take away a couple of neatly staged action sequences and you're left with a callously measured slab of US jingoism that deals with the most horrific human tragedies in the most lunk-headed and insulti... Full Review

David Denby
December 4, 2006
David Denby, New Yorker

I felt cheated.

Scott Tobias
November 27, 2006
Scott Tobias, AV Club

Rarely have [producer] Bruckheimer and [director] Scott been so upfront about insulting people's intelligence. Full Review

Richard Roeper
November 27, 2006
Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper

Nobody looks cooler walking in slow motion through a crime scene while wearing sunglasses than Denzel Washington -- but even the great Denzel can't save Déjà Vu. Full Review

Geoff Pevere
November 24, 2006
Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star

The fleetingly satisfying Déjà Vu is ultimately a self-fulfilling prophecy. Full Review

Joe Morgenstern
November 23, 2006
Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

Pretty dazzling, as action adventures go, even when it's wildly, almost defiantly, implausible. Full Review

Owen Gleiberman
November 23, 2006
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

The movie manages the singular feat of placing a science-fiction premise in a realistic setting, only to render that premise even more far-fetched than it would have seemed otherwise. Full Review

Peter Rainer
November 23, 2006
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

What gives the film its jolt of urgency is its New Orleans setting. Déjà Vu is the first major movie to be shot there since the city's devastation. Full Review

Nathan Lee
November 22, 2006
Nathan Lee, Village Voice

Déjà Vu isn't as sleek a genre pleasure as Enemy of the State, but it does have a freaky little trick up its sleeve. Full Review

November 22, 2006
Washington Post

Deja Vu attempts to explain the 'science' behind the movie's time-jumping, but in a drama that's contemporary and supposedly realistic, it comes off as cockamamie. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The Butterfly Effect
    The Butterfly Effect (84%)
  • Next
    Next (83%)
  • Source Code
    Source Code (92%)
  • Primer
    Primer (56%)

Facts

• Doug Carlin: Everything you have, you lose.
    • Doug Carlin: I'll speak slowly so those of you with PhD's can understand.
    • Doug Carlin: Woah! This is tripping.
    • Denny: Look, you know what happen's if you try this.
    • Doug Carlin: We both know what happens if I don't.
    • Doug Carlin: Well, not a lot of guinea pigs volunteer to die in the name of science.
    • Denny: You don't have to do this.
    • Doug Carlin: What if I already have?

Déjà Vu : Watch Free on TV

Déjà Vu Trivia

• what is the title of the new movie starring denzel washington, val kilmer and paula patton?  Answer »
  • Which actor or actress can be attributed to the following titles? Remember the Titans John Q Inside Man Deja Vu The Manchurian Candidate Training Day  Answer »
  • Which actor starred in all of the following:- - Glory - Philadelphia - Remember the Titans - Deja Vu  Answer »
  • Who directed and or produced Bad Boys 2, Enemy of the State, Pirates of the Caribbean(Dead man's Chest), Deja Vu, National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean (at world's End), Con Air, Armageddon?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin