close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Keri Russell, Josh Hamilton, Dakota Goyo, Kadan Rockett, J.K. Simmons ... see more see more... , L.J. Benet , Annie Thurman , Jake Washburn , Ron Ostrow , Tom Costello , Marion Kerr , Alyvia Alyn Lind , Josh Stamberg , Tiffany Jeneen , Brian Stepanek , Judith Moreland , Adam Schneider , Jessica Fay Borden , Ken Meseroll , Trevor St. John , Andy Umberger , Michael Patrick McGill , Josh Wingate , Alexandra Fulton , Scott Anthony

From the producer of Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and Sinister comes Dark Skies: a supernatural thriller that follows a young family living in the suburbs. As husband and wife Daniel and Lacey Barr... read more read more...et witness an escalating series of disturbing events involving their family, their safe and peaceful home quickly unravels. When it becomes clear that the Barret family is being targeted by an unimaginably terrifying and deadly force, Daniel and Lacey take matters in their own hands to solve the mystery of what is after their family. Written and Directed by Scott Stewart (PRIEST, LEGION) Starring: Keri Russell, Josh Hamilton, Dakota Goyo, Kadan Rockett and J.K. Simmons (c) Weinstein

Flixster Users

49% liked it

27,680 ratings

Critics

39% liked it

77 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 37 min.

Directed by: Scott Stewart

Release Date: February 22, 2013

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: May 28, 2013

Stats: 2,102 reviews

Photos

None yet... Got one?

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (2,102)

• March 5, 2014
    It's quite clever that the makers of Dark Skies have picked three overdone genres; Psychological horror, Alien horror and Haunted house horror and somehow make them feel fresh and original. It's 1 part Poltergeist to 2 parts Close Encounters with a sprinkle of Body-snatchers for ... read moregood measure. I didn't see the twist coming and it didn't suffer from the usual cliches such as 'Dad doesn't believe', 'Dog dies first' etc. The last few scenes were a little undercooked but I quite liked them for their originality and experimental risk. I don't really get most modern horrors but I thought this was pretty good.
  • August 12, 2013
    3 3/4's. Creepy. Eerie. Decent job with the spooky background music, too. For once, a decent ending, too. Bad endings ruin films for me...this one pulled off a good one.
  • July 20, 2013
    "The owls are not what they seem."

Full review coming to themoviefreakblog.com on 7/24
  • July 20, 2013
    Scott Stewart's supernatural thriller, Dark Skies, isolates the viewer from the entertainment.

Coming in at a tad over 90 minutes, the story takes it slow and steady, which works to a point when looking at it from the calm before the storm point of view; however, it does

... read more become tedious at times and the displeasing characters don't do much to help the film's cause.

The suspense level is okay, but scary this film is not. The few attempts at jump scares have minimal effect and speaking of the supernatural effects, which isn't shown much, they are sound.

Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton are the typical parents without much to make them stand out, while Dakota Goyo and Kadan Rockett are the kids in the middle of it all. J.K. Simmons ends up with the most interesting segment of the film.

Dark Skies does have an interesting concept and all in all it's good for a watch, if only once.

• July 3, 2013
    An average horror movie that manages to build some efficient tension for the most part, even if it does not offer anything original about abduction phenomenon that we haven't seen before in better works - say, The X-Files. The end is satisfying, though.
  • fb733768972
    June 26, 2013
    fb733768972
    This film has no idea if it is trying to be original or not. "Dark Skies" follows a family as activity begins to happen in the house through the night. Weird things happen and security camera's are set up around the house. Sound familiar? (Paranormal Activity). There are elements... read more of a countless number of horror films throughout this picture, and as much as I kind of admired what this film was going for, it fails in every single other aspect. I cannot say I liked it, but I admire it, and those are two completely different things. This film is poorly written, poorly directed, poorly acted, and laughably executed. I will never recommend this film, and sadly, it's one of the worst I've seen in 2013.
  • June 22, 2013
    At times a terrifying and unnerving film with great set pieces, but ultimately let down by a number of stupid characters and obvious plot twists. Dark Skies sees a family steadily driven apart by paranormal activity in their home, only this isn't ghostly goings on, and this isn't... read more spooks, it's aliens. This is the main problem with the film. From the beginning, thanks to an Arthur C. Clarke quote, it is revealed that aliens are the cause of what's going on. However, the film itself seems to want to keep that a secret, as though tricking you into thinking you are watching yet another cliched haunted house picture. My guess is that marketing and producers were scared people wouldn't flock to see yet another haunting picture, and so show their cards from the outset. This is a damn shame, as it would have been a shocking twist. Some of the events are genuinely creepy. I'm terrified of the idea of aliens, but how they're presented here is really freakish. With the mystery of the film ruined from the outset, you just have to enjoy the spooky goings on, and there are a number of clever twists such as expected dream sequences turning out to be reality after all. Still, it's hampered by annoying family members that live in denial despite the fact that all evidence points to the contrary. J.K. Simmons pops up in a thankless expository role, but Russell and the child actors do really well at capturing the idea of a fearful family. Fills its running time nicely, but could have been so much more.
  • fb100000145236770
    May 30, 2013
    fb100000145236770
    **1/2

When I first saw the trailer for "Dark Skies" I thought it looked interesting, but would end up being a bad movie. While it's not a great movie, it certainly isn't bad either. Keri Russell stars as your average married mother of 2, when Aliens start to do weird, harmful ... read morethings to her family. First,it's little pranks that don't do any damage, but just mess with their heads. Then 3 different flocks of birds fly into her homes, and soon each member of the family gets their heads messed with in some very inventive ways. There are some very good suspenseful scenes in this, and it's perfect for a watch at home at night. But, towards the end the movie has some big plot holes(like what they're told to do to fight the aliens, makes no sense). Overall it's a lot better than I was expecting. Horror fans, or fans of aliens movies should give it a shot. I'm sure there are a lot of people that won't like it, but if you go with it, it's not too bad. Could have been a lot worse.
  • May 18, 2013
    three stars
  • April 11, 2013
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon13.gif[/img]

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddleston
April 4, 2013
Tom Huddleston, Time Out

Time and again, Stewart squanders the opportunity to do anything remotely interesting or worthwhile ... Full Review

Justin Lowe
February 25, 2013
Justin Lowe, Hollywood Reporter

There's little to fear from this rather tame genre outing. Full Review

Stephanie Zacharek
February 25, 2013
Stephanie Zacharek, Film.com

Dark Skies is sort of supernatural, but it's really more super natural....[it's] about the fragility of family, a muted meditation on how precious it is. Full Review

Alan Scherstuhl
February 24, 2013
Alan Scherstuhl, Village Voice

Stewart has some lofty ambitions, some of which he almost fulfills. Full Review

Andy Webster
February 22, 2013
Andy Webster, New York Times

Those elements are employed with consummate dexterity. Full Review

Peter Sobczynski
February 22, 2013
Peter Sobczynski, Chicago Sun-Times

Dark Skies is a bore that even the most forgiving genre buffs will find difficult to defend or endure. Full Review

Elizabeth Weitzman
February 22, 2013
Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News

It's not that Dark Skies is so awful you need to be warned away from it. It's just that it's so bland you might as well find something better to do. Full Review

Mark Olsen
February 22, 2013
Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times

Really the biggest problem with Dark Skies is that Stewart can never quite decide just what story he is telling or whether to focus on this character or that, instead struggling to string together sca... Full Review

Michael O'Sullivan
February 22, 2013
Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post

The movie builds a moderate, if less than monumental, level of spookiness, regardless of your ignorance. It's a workmanlike piece of suspense. Full Review

Dennis Harvey
February 22, 2013
Dennis Harvey, Variety

A pretty good buildup to OK payoff without any real surprises en route makes Dark Skies feel just enough above average to make one wish it had one memorable spark of conceptual inspiration up its sleeve. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Fire in the Sky
    Fire in the Sky (100%)
  • The Arrival
    The Arrival (100%)
  • War of the Worlds
    War of the Worlds (83%)
  • Evolution
    Evolution (100%)

Facts

• Edwin Pollard: People think of these beings invading our planet as some great cataclysm, but it's not like that at all. The invasion already happened. You cannot escape them. Sooner or later, when they're ready, they will take your family.
    • Daniel Barrett: Leave my son alone!

Dark Skies : Watch Free on TV

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Dark Skies. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?