Contraband

Contraband

57% Liked It
liked it

Contraband

Mark Wahlberg, Kate Beckinsale, Ben Foster, Giovanni Ribisi, Lukas Haas

Chris Farraday (Mark Wahlberg) long ago abandoned his life of crime, but after his brother-in-law, Andy (Caleb Landry Jones), botches a drug deal for his ruthless boss, Tim Briggs (Giovanni Ribisi), C... read more read more...hris is forced back into doing what he does best- running contraband-to settle Andy's debt. Chris is a legendary smuggler and quickly assembles a crew with the help of his best friend, Sebastian (Ben Foster), for one final run to Panama and back, hoping to return with millions in counterfeit bills. Things quickly fall apart and with only hours to reach the cash, Chris must use his rusty skills to successfully navigate a treacherous criminal network of brutal drug lords, cops and hit men before his wife, Kate (Kate Beckinsale), and sons become their target. -- (C) Official Site

Id: 11155475

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Register or sign-in to see your friends' reviews !

Recent Reviews

• August 4, 2013
    A good action film with lots of twists, although none are especially striking. Wahlberg continues to disappoint by playing a tough guy role when he doesn't have the grittiness to pull it off. Still, it's a fun film.
  • January 18, 2013
    A good mix of action, heist and thriller with a good cast line-up make this a better than average film. It didn't have anything particularly new or original about it, but if you like those genre of films then you should enjoy this.
  • September 18, 2012
    Another great film with Mark Wahlberg in, Movie is full of action, drama and excitment. Worth watching anytime. 4 1/2 stars
  • July 19, 2012
    There is nothing new about Baltasar Kormakur's Contraband, but it has enough to moderately satisfy.

Spanning a good 105 minutes, Contraband plays out partially like a heist flick, which works in its favor. Aside from that, the villains are cliched, side character

... read mores lack sufficient background, and the smuggling crime itself isn't exactly edge of the seat thrilling.

With the way the story goes, this isn't a film where the action comes first. Yes, it has its share of violence; however, this is more of a crime thriller than an action adventure. As mentioned earlier, this works out for the better.

Mark Wahlberg plays a confident master criminal with no problems. Extraordinary? No. Good enough for a hero? Yes. Kate Beckinsale seems underused, but becomes a satisfaction to see in a film full of male criminals.

Contraband isn't a must see in any way shape or form. It is a watchable picture however.

• June 28, 2012
    Kate Beckinsale's character was quite different over here. Took me a while to accept it since I've seen her different in Underworld. This movie was nice. Though the story wasn't new or anything. I mean it doesn't feel fresh but wasn't boring.
  • June 21, 2012
    Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Kate Beckinsale, Ben Foster, Giovanni Ribisi, Caleb Landry Jones, Diego Luna, J.K. Simmons, Lukas Haas, Connor Hill, Bryce McDaniel

Director: Baltasar Kormákur

Summary: When his brother-in-law runs afoul of a drug lord, family man Chris Farraday turns to a... read more skill he abandoned long ago -- smuggling -- to repay the debt. But the job goes wrong, and Farraday finds himself wanted by cops, crooks and killers alike.

My Thoughts: "I enjoyed the movie. It had a lot of my favs. like yummy Mark, Ben, and Giovanni. Plus the lovely Kate. I thought they all were great in this. As for the story, it was OK. I think I expected more action. There wasn't much character developement, but I didn't mind having the movie make you come up with your own assumptions. But I could have done with a bit more background on these characters. It's basically the good crooks against the bad crooks in a game of tug and war. The ending of the game is too obvious that it makes it a little boring to watch. But still I enjoyed the performances. Ben is always the one to watch and Ribisi is never a disappointment and you can count on Wahlberg to always be the badass throwing punches. Nice flick but nothing great."
  • May 13, 2012
    Adding review later.
  • May 9, 2012
    Contraband is a thrilling action film that is a pretty decent cinematic experience. The film definitely delivers the action, but there's something missing to really make this one stand out. I thought that Giovanni Ribisi as ruthless gangster Tim Briggs made this film better. His ... read moreperformance saved the film from being a total disappointment. The film was a decent actioner, one that was mindless viewing experience. The problem though was the fact that some of the film was derivative of other films and it felt predictable. As a whole, Contraband could have been a much better film, but it's still a pretty decent film too. Mark Wahlberg was great in the lead and along with Ribisi made the film better. There could have been more improvements on the film of course, and if a rewrite of the script would have been done. Contraband is a decent film, but once the credits roll, it leaves a lot to be desired. You end up feeling that there is something missing to really make Contraband work. Overall this is a mindless action film, and nothing more. The film, like I said is decent, but it doesn't try to do anything new with its formula. For what it is, it's a pleasant time waster, but Mark Wahlberg has made far better films than this. Enjoyable and fun, Contraband isn't anything truly remarkable, but it works to thrill and though flawed, it most certainly does that. Using the same old, clichéd formula, Contraband delivers a decent two hour action flick with a few good performances. The film could have been better, but if you like Mark Wahlberg, you'll probably enjoy this. I liked it, but I think they could have put a bit more effort into the film.
  • May 1, 2012
    OK the first thing to hit me with this thriller is the excellent cast and subsequent excellent performances they all give, Wahlberg, Foster and Ribisi really come together and blend well giving really strong tense portrayals of their characters.

All three of the main cast are a... read moreround the same age (almost) and I think it shows as they seem to effortlessly connect, almost like a small group of your mates working together. I think Wahlberg has nailed the average blue collar working schmo to a tea in recent films but he does tend to be the same character in everything he does, oh well.
    The film isn't exactly super exciting but more of a slowish burner as Wahlberg basically needs to get his hands on a load of dosh to pay of some criminals which threaten his family, yeeeeah not tooooo original is it. His so called best mate played by Foster is of course in cahoots with the bad guys and is playing Wahlberg's character (not really a spoiler don't worry), Foster is so good at being low down scummy guys, makes you wonder huh.

Its sort of a heist flick but also more of your typical blackmail, smuggling, gang, mobster type thing which is sort of cool but slightly underwhelming also. The whole thing lacks bite, you really wanna see Wahlberg kick some ass and pop some caps in some asses but he never really does that. Ribisi is a really good junkie redneck in this and he needs a major whipping and you just want him to get blow away, you yearn for some gun action but it never materialises and it just feels like a chance missed.

It does get reasonably tense at times but it just ends all too softly when you really wanna see some quality retribution for the good guys. Solid stern decent performances yes, pumping film...no, could of been so much more exciting, hard to even say it was an 'action' film really, or thriller, kinda somewhere inbetween.
  • April 26, 2012
    A strong, solid, gritty and adrenaline-pumping crime-thriller. It`s a thrilling, dynamic and intense movie. It has alot of strength and keeps rolling with its story and characters and chooses that over action and effects. It`s smart and entertaining and packs alot of star power. ... read moreMark Wahlberg is excellent, he gives another strong and compelling performance. A great and strong caper filled with suspensful moments, gripping characters and a great action sequence. It`s full-on excitement.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD