close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow ... see more see more... , Kate Winslet , Bryan Cranston , Jennifer Ehle , Sanaa Lathan , Chui Tien-you , Josie Ho , Daria Strokous , Griffin Kane , John Hawkes , Monique Gabriela Cumen , Stef Tovar , Grace Rex , Armin Rohde , Rebecca Spence , Larry Clarke , Anna Jacoby-Heron , Demetri Martin , Elliott Gould , Enrico Colantoni , Dan Aho , Chin Han , Blair Robertson , Brian J. O'Donnell , Annabel Armour , Kara Zediker , Dr. Sanjay Gupta , Dan Flannery , Joshua Seiden , Yoshiaki Kobayashi , Teri McEvoy , Sue Redman , Teri Campbell , Mary Jo Faraci , Joseph Anthony Foronda , Phillip James Brannon , David Lively , Andrew White , Dr. Ira Blumen , Scott Stangland , Jimmy Wai Chung Lee , Rick Uecker , Tara Mallen , John Hines , Joshua Weinstein , Sarah Charipar , Mark Czoske , Hee-Wan Kwon , Phil Tang , Robert Chi , Randy Lowell , Pete Sack , Kwok Wah Wong , Sau Ming Raymond Tsang , Jim Ortlieb , Joshua Pollock , Laura T. Fisher , Peter A. Kelly , Mary Beth Dolan , Jason Babinsky , Howie Johnson , Thomas Gebbia , Dan Sanders-Joyce , Wong Kam-tong , Michael Franck

Contagion follows the rapid progress of a lethal airborne virus that kills within days. As the fast-moving epidemic grows, the worldwide medical community races to find a cure and control the panic th... read more read more...at spreads faster than the virus itself. At the same time, ordinary people struggle to survive in a society coming apart. -- (C) Warner Bros.

Flixster Users

62% liked it

81,049 ratings

Critics

84% liked it

236 critics

DVD Release Date: January 3, 2012

Stats: 9,833 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (9,833)

• May 16, 2014
    More of a serious and adult version of 'Outbreak' really, minus all the glossy Hollywood action and over the top acting from a certain Mr Gooding and Hoffman. This is totally straight and a very accurate depiction of what could happen if a lethal virus outbreak occurred in the pr... read moreesent day.

To be frank its so realistic its kinda depressing to watch as we all know this is what would happen in a worse case scenario. Filmed in a quite basic manner almost verging on handheld to nail home the stark lines of reality. Its very well made and very well acted by all involved, more of an assemble piece with all stories coming together from various different angles but nothing confusing.

Not really a horror or a thriller but more of a documentary type of film really, its certainly more of an informative film than scary film. You watch and you learn how these things start, spread and the repercussions of media coverage...ill use of the internet, word of mouth and how there may always be people who will try to make money from even the most grave situation (but I'm sure most can guess that). There is even the old conspiracy theory side that eventually pops up, inevitably, which fuels the fires of panic.

Very good, very real but not the most comfortable watch, these type of films tend to make you itch whilst you watch. Interesting it may be but I wouldn't wanna buy it or watch it again to be honest as there is nothing really entertaining here. Its creepy and kinda harrowing, probably not suppose to be a fun film...but that's just my view.
  • January 13, 2014
    A great film and a great cast. I was very pleased with the plot. The suspense was brilliant and all the performances were excellent. I suppose that there was something that left me wanting more but overall, this one is worth watching.
  • October 1, 2013
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]
  • September 5, 2013
    Featuring an all star cast who give some really solid performances, this is a very sharp, realistic, intense, medical thriller epidemic film from acclaimed director Steven Soderbergh. Since he's behind it, you know it's gonna look great, be stylish, and be one of the better films... read more of its type, especially since there's a high degree of medical and scientific accuracy on display.

The film follows the origins of an unknown but highly lethal virus as it spreads across the world at a fast rate, with the efforts of scientists, researchers, and others as they all find a way to deal with the situation as society begins to succumb to the disease and break down.

This is, in many ways, a horror film in the same vein as something like Children of Men. This isn't quite as fierce and intense as that one, but it's still pretty frightening at times. It does start to lose some steam by the third act, but it never falters enough to totally kill the overall grade. Had it not (slightly) dipped though, I'd definitely be giving this an extra half star.

Cliff Martinez's score is awesome, and really highlights the tense atmosphere of the situation, the cinematography and editing are superb, and Sodderbergh's direction is dynamite. I'm not going to list all of the cast memebers here, because there's too many to take the time ot list, but there's lots of A-listers and award winners and nominees (Oscars, Golden Globes, etc) here, and, even though only some get more screen time than others, all bring something to the table, and it's great seeing this much talent actually be put ot good use, unlike the way it is wasted in the recent films of Garry Marshall.

All in all, this is some terrific, nightmarish stuff. Definitely check it out. It'll make you think, but probably a bit paranoid as well.
  • April 4, 2013
    Epicly bad movie, with great stars and good acting that can't overcome a really, really, REALLY bad script. I almost would rather having the sickness than watch this fail of a movie again. The wretching you hear ain't the virus...it's the audience.
  • September 20, 2012
    A highly infectious and deadly virus rapidly becomes a pandemic threatening the lives of millions as a team of scientists desperately attempt to create a vaccine. This medical thriller from Steven Soderbergh has a similarly scientific feel to it to the likes of The Andromeda Str... read moreain as we follow the CSI-alikes through a maze of technical jargon in their labs while society disintegrates around them as the rioting populace succumbs to hysteria. These scenes are extremely effective and there's a lot of tension during the race against the clock to find the cure, which makes the fact that the weak eco-message that makes the "climax" to the story even more disappointing. It may have worked better if the entire film had been told in reverse order a-la Memento or Irreversible, but as it stands it feels like a real "Is that it?" kind of ending. Technically it's all very impressive however with solid performances all round and polished direction from Soderbergh, but it's just a little too sterile and anti-climactic to be considered a must see.
  • July 31, 2012
    Wow. Powerful movie, especially for those like me that have traveled so much and spent so much time in China/Hong Kong.
  • July 31, 2012
    Wow. Powerful movie, especially for those like me that have traveled so much and spent so much time in China/Hong Kong.
  • July 26, 2012
    In Contagion you have Steven Soderbergh's compelling yet somewhat clinical exploration of both the cause and the effect of a global pandemic. It ably asks and answers via its ensemble cast the big sci-fi question "what if?" What would happen IF there were a global pandemic? Wo... read moreuld there be mass hysteria, and would some try to profit from the terrible epidemic? The answer is kind of a no brainer, and yet we need to be reminded of the times we live in and that "humanity" and "civilization" are tenuous propositions at best, taking not much at all to shed the venire and reduce mankind to base instincts of survival.

The film is filled with A list stars, but this is not a character driven film, as each of the many actors fulfill a part of the big picture, giving the film less emotional impact than it might, while leaving you with the uncomfortable feeling that this could indeed happen at any time.

Soderbergh's pacing here works well, slowly building while the seemingly unconnected characters all eventually fall in line as the medicos search for the source of the contagion. Of course politics gets in the way, which, while frustrating, gives the film a chance to show a bit of humanity when some Chinese children are thrown under the bus in a political move under the auspices of "we don't negotiate with terrorists" - sure, what's a couple hundred children when your motto is at stake?

There are eerie scenes of vacant streets as the populace is told that the best way to NOT be infected is to have no contact with others. Matt Damon's character takes this to the extreme by placing his daughter under house arrest - something she bemoans, not realizing that Dad is probably saving her life (as usual teens think that they're invulnerable).

There are false prophets on display here as well (or should I say prophets for profit). This dark bit of profiting from the pain of others is once again something that happens on a regular basis, and yet something we tend to sweep under the carpet. Further showing the base side of humanity are the well shot sequences of rioting and mayhem - chaos and anarchy fueled by fear and me first survival instincts. I couldn't help but think and hope that, faced with the same situation, I would behave with a bit more dignity, even when the rules of society are being bent all around me.

This is not a happy film, but I think a necessary and successful one, as it sure gave me pause and made me think about who and what we are as a species. About the only part of this film that struck me as incomplete concerned the tagging of those who had been given the "cure" (the manufacture and administration of enough cure to inoculate the entire planet taking years). The film showed a happy scene of Damon's daughter's boyfriend finally being allowed into their house as he proudly shows off his wrist tag. This left me wondering about the pariah effect - the possibility of apartheid, separating those who have not been inoculated. Then my feeble brain took it a step further, imagining that there would become a black market for fake wrist tags... perhaps another film might invest the time to explore this aspect - but here it would only add to the distasteful look into "humanity".
  • fb100000716838411
    June 13, 2012
    fb100000716838411
    So obviously, people have been praising everything about this film. The acting, the realism, the fact that it made people afraid of viruses again. Well in my opinion, this movie is just plain boring. This film starts out promising, but ends dismally. As a matter of fact, it plays... read more out dismally. The first 15 minutes of the movie starts out with Gwyneth Paltrow getting sick and a montage of people around the world catching the same illness. The beginning got me hooked into the movie, but I might as well have been walking into a cave where the first 10 feet was made of candy, whereas the next 90 was made of shit. So now that the virus is spreading, we get introduced to the characters played by an all star cast. It has Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Kate Winslet, Marion Cottilard, Jude Law and Bryan Cranston. (I hate that guy) They really went all out in making sure well known actors were in the movie....only to waste their time. All the characters were just shallow, one dimensional bores. I didn't care whether they lived or died at all. The movie is just so convoluted with all the different storylines. Jude Law is some conspiracy nut, Damon is caring for his daughter, Paltrow gets her head sawed open, and Cottilard does almost nothing. (Aside from being really hot.) Seriously, we get introduced to Cottilard's character for a few scenes, then she dissapears from the movie for about 45 minutes. When she reappears, she dissapears again and we never see her again. What was the point of her? (Besides being hot) Not only is the film a disjointed mess, it's also really slow and boring. We see like 5 minutes of the effects the virus is having on the world and the rest is just a bunch of confusing dialogue that only a medical expert could understand. Why would you give a general audience all this scientific stuff. That's like reading "Finnegan's Wake" to pre-schoolers. The absolute worst thing about the movie is the ending though. To start, you can't even tell when the ending is coming. The ending just happens out of now where in the middle of explaining something. The film leaves almost everything virtually unanswered. I left the theater feeling like nothing was accomplished in the movie. So many people said this film had them worried about an outbreak of a virus, but the only thing I was thinking of after the film was over was "I'm thirsty."

Critic Reviews

Dave Calhoun
October 18, 2011
Dave Calhoun, Time Out

Adopting a clean, chronological and punchy approach, Soderbergh holds a steady eye on panic and chaos. It's a disaster movie with a brain and conscience. Full Review

David Denby
September 13, 2011
David Denby, New Yorker

The presence of movie stars helps: their authority is part of what keeps us fascinated by the gruesome fable, juicing it a bit, so that we can actually enjoy it. Full Review

David Edelstein
September 11, 2011
David Edelstein, New York Magazine/Vulture

Contagion is compelling. Full Review

James Berardinelli
September 10, 2011
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

Contagion is the best movie made to date about an epidemic/pandemic. Full Review

J. R. Jones
September 9, 2011
J. R. Jones, Chicago Reader

Along with the stars, Contagion has plenty of scares, though in contrast to Matt Damon and Kate Winslet, they're things you encounter every day. Full Review

Christopher Orr
September 9, 2011
Christopher Orr, The Atlantic

The film resembles its viral subject a little too closely: an intricate, formidable mechanism with no evident purpose. Full Review

Peter Rainer
September 9, 2011
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor

Steven Soderbergh's Contagion, written by Scott Burns, begins on a state of high alert and stays there for the rest of the movie. Full Review

Chris Vognar
September 9, 2011
Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News

[A] curiously inert new thriller from Steven Soderbergh. Full Review

Lisa Kennedy
September 9, 2011
Lisa Kennedy, Denver Post

Steven Soderbergh​'s viral "who brung it" is a mostly style-over-substance affair. Full Review

Tom Long
September 9, 2011
Tom Long, Detroit News

Contagion could have been a blood-curdling scream; instead it comes off as Soderbergh's star-powered science project. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Outbreak
    Outbreak (96%)
  • Take Shelter
    Take Shelter (79%)
  • Contagion
    Contagion (86%)
  • Shivers (They Came from Within) (The Parasite Murders)
    Shivers (They Came from Within) (The Parasite... (100%)

Facts

• RADM Lyle Haggerty: We just need to make sure that nobody knows until everybody knows
    • Dr. Ian Sussman: Blogging is not writing, it's graffiti with punctuation.
    • Dr. Erin Mears: Stop touching your face, Dave.
    • Dr. Erin Mears: Don't talk to anyone! Don't touch anyone!
    • Dr. Ellis Cheever: Well, Dr. Gupta, there continue to be evaluations of several drugs, Ribavirin is among them. But, right now our best defence has been social distancing. No hands shaking, staying home when you're sick, washing your hands frequently.
    • Helpful Doctor: Alan today on Twitter, you wrote on that the truth about this virus is being kept from the world, by the CDC, by the World Health Organisation, to allow friends of the current administration to benefit from it both financially and physically.
    • Beth Emhoff: My arm.

Contagion : Watch Free on TV

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Contagion. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?