Chronicle

Chronicle

71% Liked It
liked it

Chronicle

Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, Michael B. Jordan, Michael Kelly, Ashley Hinshaw

Three high school students make an incredible discovery, leading to their developing uncanny powers beyond their understanding. As they learn to control their abilities and use them to their advantage... read more read more..., their lives start to spin out of control, and their darker sides begin to take over. -- (C) Official Site

Id: 11157122

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Register or sign-in to see your friends' reviews !

Recent Reviews

• fb1442511448
    January 22, 2014
    fb1442511448
    A clever form of direction with stylish effects, Josh Trank's Chronicle supplies a rare thrilling blend of action and drama. Though the effects are slightly bland and unreal, the film is saved by its superb young cast and overall excitement and script. 4.5/5
  • January 7, 2014
    The revolution that Stan Lee brought to comics was basically the idea that humans with superpowers were still humans nonetheless (THAT'S the revolution??? and yet from such small beginnings ... !) and thus flawed, their flaws manifest in spite of whatever their extra power might... read more be. And so this film's tragic story: teens get special abilities, yes, powers far beyond the ken of mortal men (I love that phrase!), but are no more capable relating to others than before, their personal idiosyncrasies just as apparent and what makes them special also makes them perhaps dangerous to the rest of us.
    Told via the best CGI money can buy and well, what's delivered is not a bad tale of teen angst gone ...WOW.
    Cool.
  • August 12, 2013
    [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]
  • August 7, 2013
    The movie is choppy, dialogue is cheesy, characterization is poor, acting is awful, and it ends all too abruptly. This is the kind of movie you go to expecting much more and then walk away thinking "Is it wrong that the fast food restaurant across the street has more to offer for... read more ten dollars this movie did?"
  • April 16, 2013
    The found footage genre has proven quite uninspired in recent memory. How far can you stretch out ideas in a genre where it seems all too clichéd? Although not a great film, Chronicle is still a breath of fresh air in a tired out genre. The film boasts some very good special effe... read morects and an interesting storyline. The performances are good for a low budget feature and the result is a film that is quite impressive. At first you think that the movie won't be that good, but as it picks up, the story unfolds and everything else becomes a little clearer. I am actually surprised that filmmakers can still turn out some good entertainment with a tiresome genre. Let's face it, the found footage genre is overdone, tired out, uninspired and dull. However on the rare occasion, there are a few films that manage to stand out. Troll Hunter was one of them and Chronicle continues that streak. There are many things that work very well here and with effective direction; there are minor flaws to be had with this different type of genre film. However the action scenes are what makes Chronicle stand out and makes it worth seeing. Action buffs who want something original in a tiresome genre wi8ll definitely be pleased with this movie. The performances are not really standout, but like I said the action and concept makes it a must see movie. Chronicle is proof that filmmakers can turn something good from a clichéd overdone genre. If you come across this one give it a shot, you may be surprised at how good it really is.
  • April 16, 2013
    Didn't really do anything for me... Surprised it had such a good rating. Then again, sci fi is not really a preferred genre of mine, so don't be put off by me!
  • fb634552688
    February 20, 2013
    fb634552688
    Once you get past the Blair Witch style camera, you'll find the closest thing to a realistic superhero movie, if such a thing exists.
  • February 19, 2013
    So this is what high schoolers would do with super powers! I can completely believe this to be true..lol..I thought that this movie was a lot of fun! I am not really into those "live footage" movies, but I found myself enjoying this one.
  • February 18, 2013
    If one looks past the "found footage" gimmick, there is a decent tale of post adolescence to be had here that includes some really seamless CGI wizardry. Unfortunately, there is all of that found footage - which, while initially an ok gimmick, wears thin really quickly - at leas... read moret there isn't an abundance of shaky cam.

The acting by these unheralded players is straightforward and earnest - you don't get the feeling that these guys are ever out of character or parroting lines; which helps the believability factor. The direction of Josh Trank and co-writer Jay Alaimo is crisp and steady - you never get the feeling that the film has detoured into backstory (which is necessary to explain why things begin to go badly, especially in the case of Andrew, the son of an abusive father).

The script is adept at giving us the feeling that, yes, if you were 16 and this incredible thing happened to you; you might very well react in a similar fashion. The mystery of how the powers were given and how said powers grow within each of the three boys is well handled - in fact the entire enterprise is well done - I just wish they could have sidestepped the footage gimmick entirely - or relegated it to the first half... although there were some inventive shots purportedly using emergency vehicle cameras and the like to keep you in the action when no hand held could have possibly been used.

In all, a good, entertaining yarn; with a decent amount of depth to it as the boys explore not only their new gained power, but their psyches as well.
  • December 24, 2012
    No thanks to "The Blair Witch Project," found-footage films have become a self-sustaining genre of own. A one trick technique that has now been imitated by many a horror flick with varying success. After the disappointing "Cloverfeld" hopes weren't high for "Chronicle". Luckil... read morey "Chronicle" defies expectations and is a smartly realized, often thrilling film.

After discovering a mysterious hole in the ground, three teenagers develop telekinetic powers that at first they use for fun. Two of the three teenagers are well-adjusted, popular kids (Matt and Steve) but the third (Andrew) is an abused, bullied kid. Now faced with having a power that he's never possessed, Andrew's instincts become darker.

What happens next is an intelligent mixture of Stephen King's "Carrie" and a modern superhero drama. "Chronicle" veers dangerously close to becoming a heavy-handed morality tale about the perils of power, but the film wisely just skirts that inclination and instead delivers a wise slice of adolescent angst.

Which brings us to the aforementioned found-footage filming technique. For "Chronicle" it works especially after the it gets over its awkward beginnings. But the filmed angle allows "Chronicle" to feel rawer, forces the performances to be more natural and by switching camera angles, the scenes actually feel more realistic than many big-budget CGI films.

A bigger surprise are the performances. The three leads are revelations with standout Dane DeHaan as troubled Andrew. He effectively showcases the darkness behind this poor teenager's eyes.

With all that, "Chronicle" still remembers to deliver on the thrills, and at times it's incredibly thrilling - the last scene alone is a high-energy, loud highlight. While not perfect, as the found footage doesn't always work, "Chronicle" transcends the expected and is one of the highlights of the 2011 film season.

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD