Blow-Up
Blow-Up (1966)

Italian director Michelangelo Antonioni's first English-language production was also his only box office hit, widely considered one of the seminal films of the 1960s. Thomas (David Hemmings) is a nihilistic, wealthy fashion photographer… More

Rated: Unrated
Running Time:
Release Date: February 17, 2004
Add Your Rating
Rotten Tomatoes™
Critic Score
85%
Flixster
User Score
85%

Critic Score: 85% Rotten Tomatoes™ Critic Reviews
J. Hoberman
Village Voice

A prize '60s artifact, Michelangelo Antonioni's what-is-truth? meditation on Swinging London is a movie to appreciate -- if not ponder.

Full review…
Variety Staff
Variety

There may be some meaning, some commentary about life being a game, beyond what remains locked in the mind of film's creator, Italian director-writer Michelangelo Antonioni. But it is doubtful that the general public will get the 'message' of this film.

Full review…
Total Film

Inspiring everyone from Francis Ford Coppola to Mike Myers, Michelangelo Antonioni's arty thriller remains an absorbing, eerie enigma.

Full review…
Pauline Kael
The New Republic

In Blow-Up [Antonioni] smothers this conflict in the kind of pompous platitudes the press loves to designate as proper to "mature," "adult," "sober" art.

Full review…
Geoff Andrew
Time Out

As often with Antonioni, a film riddled with moments of brilliance and scuppered by infuriating pretensions.

Full review…
Kim Newman
Empire Magazine

Despite its thriller hook, Blow-Up is less a mystery than a portrait of swinging alienation.

Full review…
Jonathan Rosenbaum
Chicago Reader

This is so ravishing to look at (the colors all seem newly minted) and pleasurable to follow (the enigmas are usually more teasing than worrying) that you're likely to excuse the metaphysical pretensions.

Full review…
Andrew Sarris
New York Observer

The natural world is arrayed against the artificial scene; conscience is deployed against convention. If you've never seen Blow-Up, see it now, if only to see what part of the world was like 40 years ago.

Full review…
Emanuel Levy
EmanuelLevy.Com

Antonioni's first English-speaking film is a seminal work of the 1960s, reflecting swinging London as well as dealing with voyeurism, artists' social responsbilities and other relevant issues.

Full review…
More reviews for Blow-Up

Flixster Audience Score: 85% Flixster User Reviews
Bob Stinson
There is this one camera sequence that I love. Towards the end of the film the David Hemmings character goes back to the park to find the body gone. From his… More
Cassandra Maples
Antonioni's Blow-Up was the biggest hit of the Italian director's career, the superficial elements of the fashion world, Swinging London and orgies on… More
Apeneck Fletcher
A well to-do artist finds that being well to-do doesn't forego the suffering latent in the job description: there are endless streams of pretty young… More
AJ Verser
I was so confused by this movie. I know it has to do with a photographer who thinks he's taken a picture of a murder, but after that, I get lost.… More
Conner Rainwater
A lot of people say that this is Michelangelo Antonioni's best movie and also far superior to Brian DePalma's semi re-imagining. I would have to say… More
Stefanie C
Bravo!!! A portrait of the disengaged, nameless, fashionable scene in 1960's London. Antonioni is one of the few directors that creates compelling… More